Image

The header on the Global Business & International Management Conference website.

If you have ever wanted an employer-paid vacation and the ability to chalk up a new publication at the same time, the Global Business & International Management Conference (GBIM) gives you a great opportunity to do so.

GBIM hosts bogus conferences at fun destinations (such as Orlando) and then publishes your paper in its conference proceedings – all for a price of course. What is that price?  Here’s what it says on GBIM’s website:

Price schedule

The price schedule for the Global Business & International Management Conference.

For this payment here’s what you get, according to the website:

Registration Fee includes:

• Opportunity to present your paper at our international conference
  • Get a copy of the conference proceeding [sic]
  • Opportunity to meet and network participants [sic]
  • Conference materials
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Morning & Afternoon tea Break during the conference
  • Local sightseeing will be introduced for interested participants

The organization also publishes three online, open-access journals:

• Journal of Human Resource [sic] and Adult Learning
  • Journal of International Management Studies
  • The Journal of Global Business Management

These journals use the author-pays model of open access and assess these charges, according to the website (the charges are the same for all three journals; this statement is from one of them):

“The author of accepted paper [sic] must pay the journal publication fee of $500 U.S. dollars [sic] to publish his/her paper in the Journal of Human Resource [sic] and Adult Learning. The journal publication fee for papers with two authors will be $600 U.S. dollars [sic] and the journal publication fee for papers with three authors will be $700 U.S. dollars [sic].”

This is a Taiwan-based organization. It organizes three conferences a year. The site’s main web page includes large pictures of Disney World and Sea World. It boasts that the “GBIM conference journal is listed in ULRICH’S Directory,” but that is meaningless since Ulrich’s strives to be comprehensive.

This is an especially egregious scam, for they get your money coming and going.

Hat tip: Theresa Hammond.

25 Responses to Combining Fake Journals with Fake Conferences: Global Business & International Management Conference

1. Ron says:

There is another conference that publishes like this. Please check out..

• Elina says:

I don’t know Theresa Hammond who is academician or scholar. I guess she is not. I have been to many domestic and international conferences. All conferences asked participants to pay the fee because they provided you meals, beverage, materials…
      Organization also need to rent the expensive hotel to hold the conferences. How the money comes from?
      Besides, by I know their headquarter is located in USA (for sure).
      Theresa Hammond should not say “Fake Journals and conferences”. Did your paper ever rejected by editor?
      I suggest you log off your comment.

Elina

2. sabrina says:

You can not say they are fake Journals and conferences. I submitted my papers to this Journal and conferences. They did very well and good service. I think you might have bis to them.

Sabrina

3. Elina says:

I thought your paper ever rejected by them.
    By I know their headquarter is located in USA (for sure).
    I don’t know Theresa Hammond who is academician or scholar. I guess not. I have been to many domestic and international conferences. All conferences asked participants to pay the fee. It’s normal because they provided the meal, beverge, materials….
    Besides, they also need to rent the expensive hotel to hold the conferences. Otherwise, how the money comes from?
    I suggest you log off your comment.

Elina

4. Sabrina says:

I ever submitted my papers to them. They did very well and good service. They are not fake conferences and Journals. You might have bios to them.

Sabrina

5. Andre Everet says:

Caution with the journals, please… There are two “JIMS”, one published by this organisation (2012 is volume 7), and the other published by IABE (2012 is volume 12). The “JIMS” published by this organisation has copied the name and is damaging the reputation of the original JIMS, but they are completely separate journals…

6. Rid says:

Any one knows about textroad journal? They are very fake I think .. you can submit and receives the acceptance letter in one day .. is this what we called as scholarly international journal? If you experienced this please share for the sake of good publication

• Abbey says:

Are you sure of this about textroad journal. I am about to pay for my paper to be published

• ayo says:

i don’t think textraod journals is fake. I submitted a quality manuscript with the publisher, and after almost 3months of scrutiny (reveiw and corrections) my manuscript was accepted freed of charges.
      So, i won’t wanna settle for textroad joournals being a fake publisher.

7. Vidhya says:

kindly if anybody knows about textroad publishers give me a clear idea whether to publish my paper or not.

8. RASHID says:

THERE ARE MANY MORE FAKE JOURNALS… IN SOUTH INDIA THERE IS ONE SUCH –
    COIMBATORE INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY – CIIT RESEARCH INSTITUTE & CIIT JOURNALS-

PLZ……..DO NOT GET INTO IT.

THERE IS NO REVIEWER OR ANY THING ANY CRAP CAN BE PUBLISHED AND
    IT IS DUPLICATED.

BEWARE…ORIGINAL ARTICLE WRITERS AND RESEARCHERS.
    *********************************************************************************
    DO NOT SUBMIT TO THIS CIIT JOURNAL. THEY DUPLICATES YOUR PAPERS
    AND SELLS IT FOR
    INDIAN UNIVERSITIES.

• M.M. Islam says:

This is not true. They reviewed and guided me for preparation of papers and provided the link for viper plagiarism tool also. Even they didn’t charge any fee. If you want hard copy you can buy journal book. There is no fee for publication. It is a free journal. It’s my point of view.

9. Alex H says:

Interesting (and effective) method. I completely understand the busines logic of filling up newly started journals with conference papers; as it provides the much-neded visibility and content for the journal’s first issues and also lure researchers to submit a well-written paper to the conference. There is another publisher, started recently in Slovakia, Central Europe which operates in a similar way. Thomson s.r.o., the commercial publishing company behind Sci-Pub Scientific Publishing service http://www.sci-pub.com is backing up its 7 new journals with a virtual “conference” (The 1 st Global Virtual Conference 2013, http://www.gv-conference.com/ ), providing the opportunity for researchers to not give a presentation at all and still get a line in their CVs for the conference participation and another for a journal article (which is, actually, their accepted conference paper).

• I recently added that publisher to my list. Thanks.

• Tony says:

This is not true. This company is serious and organized conference will be serious also.
      Papers on GV-conference are double reviewed.
      Only accepted papers will be published in GV-conference proceedings.
      Only best papers will by selected for journal.
      GV-conference is supported by universities.

You should know more information about this company, because your note is not true.

10. MildaK says:

I attented one of the previous conferences of this company, so i can speak from experience. Pros: Some papers were really good, and “attending” the conference was easy and confortable. Cons: Lots of mediocre and crappy papers, no sign of quality control concerning content and English. My paper received two one-paragraph reviews (one of them written in barely understandable English), accepting my work without actually reflecting to any of my major points. This event was barely anything for a scientific conference. I may choose not to omit it from my CV (or should I?), but i will never attend another conference organized by this for-profit company.

11. [...] co-marketed with a conference called Global Business & International Management Conference. I blogged about this firm a year [...]

12. John says:

I went to Global Business & International Management Conference before, and they are very professional team. Not like people said…

13. John Chuang says:

I am a full time assistant professor and teach in the University for 15 years. I definitely sure this conference is real and their service is excellent. The presenter came from all the world though the size of conference is not very big. The conference people are all nice, no any discrimination, and picky.