In American English, the term “wino” refers to a person who drinks a lot of wine or some other form of alcohol. Thus when I first became aware of WYNO Academic Journals, I had a good laugh.This publisher claims to be based in Lagos, Nigeria with a branch office in Allahabad, India. More predator publishers come from Nigeria and India than any other countries, I think, so this one ought to fit right in.
This publisher has eight newly-launched journal titles. For each one, there is this statement: “Authors are required to pay a $400 handling fee.” The site does not explain what the publisher’s name, WYNO, refers to.
None of the journals has any content yet, but they have thrown together some editorial boards, mostly people from India.
I recommend against serving on editorial boards and against submitting any manuscripts to this publisher.
Appendix: List of WYNO Academic Journals as of November 14, 2012
- Wyno Journal of Agricultural Sciences
- Wyno Journal of Biological Sciences
- Wyno Journal of Educational Research and Essays
- Wyno Journal of Engineering and Technology Research
- Wyno Journal of Management and Business Studies
- Wyno Journal of Medical Sciences
- Wyno Journal of Physical Sciences
- Wyno Journal of Social Sciences
Wine glass photo by André Karwath via Wikimedia Commons.