8 Responses to Spam from Predatory Open Access Publishers is Dominating my Inbox

1. Nils says:

I found that installing a good filter such as Spam Assassin in my email program, in addition to my university’s filter, does help significantly. It didn’t take the filter very long to learn that mails, e.g., by Carson Willis should go directly to the Spam folder.

What I found disturbing, however, is that according to our system administrator, about 97% of all emails reaching the university are sorted out immediately. In this respect, junk mail is really an incredible waste of ressources.

2. Gmail is putting most of the predatory emails I get into spam. You can also design a custom filter for any sender.

3. Howard Freeland says:

I was pleased to read this thread. Recently one of the Bitconferences made it onto an official Government of Canada list of approved conferences and someone in Ottawa invested some time in trying to find someone to attend. I tried repeatedly to get the conference deleted but was repeatedly told that it seemed to be a good official conference. Fortunately no scientist was willing to attend.

I also find these fake meetings incredibly irritating, I get one or two per day.

4. conficio says:

There is a good cure for e-mail SPAM – digital signatures. If lots of people (meaning most) do digitally sign their e-mails, then you can be sure of who is the sender and block anything that you don’t like. As digital signatures can be validated (by companies, as well as by any individual), you can reject any unknown signature, if it is nto signed by someone you trust, like a colleague validated that this signature belongs to the person/organization that claims its his/her.

Start the cycle, sign you own e-mail with PGP. Create a key (free), have it signed by colleagues, friends, etc. and publish it for validation.

5. Star says:

This is what happens to me when one of my paper was selected for publication even I received technical comments on my work and also a final version in Pdf from omic.org domain. Now in final step they are demanding 912$ for publishing data. This is really a worst way of making money why are these people are not monitor who are playing with most noble field [academics] to earn cheap money.
    thanks for this blog that I have saved my money.

• Lisa says:

The same thing happened to me. It is so annoying that they keep sending me emails. Thank you for posting the article it saved my day and my money too.

6. taghag says:

Just wanted to say that we got one of these as well. For the record, our predatory email came from authorproofopenaccess.omics@omicsonline.org and was signed “Joseph G Marreddy”. The phone number was fake.

I think the best way to deal with it is to mark it as spam and set up a filter as others suggest. Don’t feed the trolls, etc.

7. NoMoreSpam says:

I’d suggest not just blocking it from your individual email, but if you’re at an academic address, sending a note to your postmaster@whatever.edu. I just pointed out legal complaints against OMICS all of whose emails come from @omicsonline.org and @omicsgroup.com domains and I intend to do the same with others next time I get one. It’s not like the other spammers who use infinite addresses, these are all coming from a few and can be hand-blocked for entire universities at one time. Do your colleagues a huge favor and let your postmaster know.