We recently added Elyns Publishing Group to our list of questionable journals. This journal has a curious and perhaps revealing slogan.
Its slogan is “Explore and Exploit.” The word “exploit” in English can often mean to take advantage of something in an abusive way. Will Elyns Publishing Group exploit its authors and readers?
The publisher is based in an apartment in a lower-middle-class neighborhood in Clifton, New Jersey. It currently has 30 journals, but the number seems to increase every time I examine the site. The journals are chiefly in the area of bio-medical sciences.
The publisher clearly tries to connect itself with the open-access movement, offering itself as the solution to the weaknesses of the subscription model. It states, “The central idea of ELYNS is to make the scholarly literature and scientific wisdom free and open to the scientific as well as the common world.” The site is full of such hackneyed statements. There is no explanation about what “ELYNS” actually means.
I think the central idea of Elyns Publishing Group is to make an easy profit for its owner. This appears to be a one-man operation, and a Google search indicated that the man is Narasimharao Sadam.
Only a few of the journals has any editorial board members, yet all are accepting manuscripts at this time. The site boasts, “ELYNS follows fast track 14 days peer review process.” This fast review comes at a price, a high one. The site lists these article processing charges:
These are high prices for an upstart publisher, especially given that its website is full of errors and dead links. Also, the publisher seems to indicate that it has been accepted in PubMed Central, but this isn’t true.
So, don’t let Elyns Publishing Group “exploit” you. Don’t agree to serve on its editorial boards and don’t submit any papers to them. This is a vanity press that is looking to make some easy money.
Appendix: List of Elyns Publishing Group journals as of August 25, 2013
- Archives of Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Case Reports in Clinical Medicine
- Journal of Addiction and Preventive Medicine
- Journal of AIDS and Immune Research
- Journal of Alternative Medical Research
- Journal of Bioinformatics, Computational and Systems Biology
- Journal of Biomedical Technology and Research
- Journal of Blood Disorders and Therapy
- Journal of Diabetes and Related Disorders
- Journal of Drug Development and Clinical Trails
- Journal of Emergency Medicine and Intensive Care
- Journal of Enzymology and Metabolism
- Journal of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
- Journal of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics
- Journal of Forensic Medicine and Legal Affairs
- Journal of Genomes and Proteomes
- Journal of Heart and Circulation
- Journal of Immunology and Vaccination
- Journal of Molecular Biology and Techniques
- Journal of Molecular Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine
- Journal of Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Journal of Oncology and Biomarker Research
- Journal of Ophthalmic Diseases
- Journal of Pediatrics and Mother Care
- Journal of Plant Health
- Journal of Psychology and Brain Disorders
- Journal of Respiratory Disorders
- Journal of Stem Cell and Transplantation Biology
- Journal of Syndromes and Gene Repair
- Womens Health International [sic]