15 Responses to Mysterious Publisher Launches with 44 Journals

1. Aybek says:

Jeffrey,

You messages go to my spam folder though I’ve never put it there by myself. I guess someone tries to mark your messages as a spam and google machine make it a rule :). Keep doing a great job.

• Oh no! I promise I am not spam!

• Ali Rezvani says:

Aybek,
        I have been subscribed to beall’s webpage since last year and have read each and every single post. Initially, any new post by Jeffrey didn’t go to spam box directly. But recently, whatever is posted by him goes directly to the Spam box. I found a solution to this problem. Please add the ‘http://scholarlyoa.com/’ domain to your e-mail ‘safe list’. I am sure this will solve your problem forever.

2. tleski says:

The reason why the English on their website is good may be that much of its content was stolen from others. For example, author guidelines were taken from Bentham e-books website: http://benthamscience.com/ebooks/eBkAuthGuide.htm.

3. John says:

Good post! For your information, I notice that many researchers published in questionable journals which claimed ISI indexed. For example, (1) Research Journal of Applied Science, Engineering and Technology, (2) Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, (3) Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, (4) Research Journal of Recent Sciences and (5) World Applied Science Journal.
    These four journals are shown to be indexed as “Zoological Record” in ISI master list. These publishers are from Pakistan, India…. But researchers from social sciences publish in these journals and claim to be ISI indexed. I was wondering you can analyse on this issue.

4. […] i predoni, vale il consiglio di sempre: controllare da Jeffrey Beall in attesa che la comunità scientifica si dia una mossa, invece di lasciarlo […]

5. Ewa NS says:

From my computer (I’m in France) the Google maps on http://www.openscienceonline.com/home/contactus show me an address In Serbia, near to Belgrad (and not a NY address). I can send a screenshot… Best regards, Ewa

6. Tim says:

I received an invitation from Open Science Online today. Their contact address is listed as Open Science Publishers, 228 Park Ave., S#45956, New York, NY 10003, but a source IP trace shows that message originated from an email address in Beijing, China. I tried to look at any issue of a biology-related journal, but there were none to se (site said, “Coming soon…”).

7. Dr Idowu says:

Thank you very much for this alert I am so grateful because I happen to have sent a paper to them for publication and I discovered that the paper was only rearranged and not reviewed at all they now asked me to pay for publication. I then discovered that the Bank address was based in China. What a fraudulent publishing house! I will have to resend my paper to a reputable International Journal on my field. Thanks once again for this information.

8. Dan says:

I, too, submitted a manuscript to them. I have agreed to let them publish it, but now am having second thoughts. I wonder if there would be any consequences if I were to withdraw the manuscript. Any opinions on this appreciated.

9. Alistair Windsor says:

They now list a Bronx telephone number. However a search shows that it is likely a Google Voice number:

Phone Number: 347-688-9901
    Date of this Report: July 23, 2014
    Phone Line Type: LANDLINE
    Phone Company: BANDWIDTH.COM – POSSIBLE GOOGLE VOICE OR OTHER VIRTUAL PHONE NUMBER

10. Neil Hepburn says:

Doing some digging with whois produces the following info about the site admin for aijssnet.com

Registrant Email:
    Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: Md. Mamin Ullah
    Admin Organization: Western Education
    Admin Street: 5/Ka, 2nd Floor, PC Culture, Ring Road Shamoli, Dhaka-1207
    Admin City: Dhaka
    Admin State/Province: Dhaka
    Admin Postal Code: 1207
    Admin Country: BD
    Admin Phone: +88.01778964703

The site admin’s reported email is a hotmail address. hmmmm

While it is possible that the firm has outsourced its web administration tasks, I do find the location of the reported admin interesting (and suspicious.)

I checked an number of their other domains and all point to the same person. Also, I did a geolocate on the site’s IP address and it points to a hosting service in Lansing, Michigan. Hmmm, Park Avenue, Dhaka, and Lansing, this outfit truly is international!