16 Responses to WSEAS and NAUN: Two Publishers (and Conference Organizers) to Avoid

1. Deadline extensions are the norm for conferences. I haven’t heard of a single conference that didn’t have extensions, even extremely high profile conferences like IEEE S&P have it (see e.g. this year’s).

2. bencomp says:

I count seven different conferences in your list – assuming that two conferences with the exact same name are the same conference, even if they’re organised (jointly?) by WSEAS and NAUN.
    It would be interesting to hear about previous conferences and how the “scientific sponsors” are involved. Kingston University London doesn’t list either conference they are said to be ‘scientifically sponsoring’: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/aboutkingstonuniversity/events/all-events/lectures/
    I took the liberty of asking via Twitter: https://twitter.com/bencomp/status/408700666052218881

3. Joro Paveto says:

The conferences are realy of a very low quality and they publish everything as it is submitted in their conference proceedings. The owner is a greek that is currently a professor in the technical university of Sofia, Bulgaria (therefore the conference tax for bulgarians, greeks, romanians sometimes is much lower). The conferences are bad, but for us it is sometimes a chance to meet colegues.
    As for the journals- they do not require aditional fee to publish the extended paper in their journal. They do not require a processing charges even if You submit a paper to some of their journals without any participation at one of the conferences. And yes the journals are weak, but indexed by Scopus:

and some of their journals (a significant part) are with impact factor as well. As you can imagine during promotion procedures these are classified as a totaly legitimate publications in impact factor journal …
    I cannot recommend to anyone to publish there, but I can understand the people that are doing it. After all if both Scopus and WOK think that these are legitimate journals I am afraid, that no one will hear the recommedations …
    And the conferences of WSEAS are predatory, however the journals do not require payments and there is a real peer review process (as You can imagine not so strict but still real).

• Liam Mac Liam says:

Joro Paveto sums them up very well. WSEAS started out as a fairly dodgy and widely spamming company over 10 years ago and has been slowly edging towards respectability since.

4. Prof. Ann Lee (CORE Team) says:

Please list your research publication history as we have no idea with respect to your academic and research background.

5. Liam Mac Liam says:

As far as I know, Jeffrey Beall has always put his name to his comments here, made available his research publication history and along the way incidentally laid himself open to legal attack, anonymous abuse and orchestrated online campaigns against him.

6. Dart says:

Dear Mr. Jeffrey Beall,
    Please confirm, are they (WSEAS & NAUN) :
    1.Pedatory?
    2.Fake?
    3.Low quality?
    Thank you very much for your confirmation….

7. Joro Paveto says:

I was invited to visit a conference organised by “European Society for Applied Sciences and Development” (www.europment.org).
    A closer look reveals that it is closely related to wseas
    just like NAUN

8. Jon Burley says:

I must say that Jeffrey Beall makes some forthright comments and exposes issues related to conferences and journals. Many publishers are in it for the money and many organizations have very poor quality documents. I have participated in 5 WSEAS conferences and I find the exchange between scholars attending the conferences stimulating but certainly not at the potential it could be. I do not publish my best research in WSEAS, but it is a place to start for some of my younger colleagues and students, working towards better periodicals. I have certainly attended in my career much worse than WSEAS and I have attended much superior academic conferences too. Jeffrey is correct in urging scholars to strive to find better and best venues. At the same time I am sympathetic to my colleagues in Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, … I have met many of them and give them my support to improve the quality of their efforts, it is not always an easy journey. Lets hope that we can all start raising the bar and improve the quality of scholarship.

I hope that some WSEAS and NAUN officials engage in the discussion and I urge Jeffrey Beall to keep informing us with his insightful opinions and ideas. Thanks Jeffrey.

Best to all,
    Dr. Burley

9. sumarni abu bakar says:

For me, it is no harm for you to attend the conference. You may not get suggestion from the audience for normally less than 10 seats are occupied but then for a junior researcher it gives you the idea of how to present your paper internationally with international standard of content.