19 Responses to Questionable OA Publisher Launches with a Clever Website and 52 New Journals

1. You might recognize the website layout from the IEEE. I thought for a moment this was a post about them, when I saw the image. I took a look at the CSS (cascading stylesheet — the file that defines how the website looks) and tried to put it through a plagiarism scanner, but I didn’t find anything. Maybe they just re-produced the website layout, though.

• Liam Mac Liam says:

The website is impressive, as you say Jeffrey. The Ongoing Research on the Global Crisis does indeed plagiarise the earlier article from the Canadian Center of Science and Education journal but this article in turn could well have been plagiarized from somewhere else if the track record of the Canadian Centre of Science and Education is anything to go by.

Could be interesting to track how many times certain articles have been plagiarised and replagiarised. In fact, I think its time an annual award for the most plagiarised article was instituted. But what to call the award?

2. Catalin I. Nicolae says:

The website layout is taken from somewhere for sure. It seems familiar to me too. I thought it was American Journal of Archaeology, but I was wrong – they have a new layout now. But it must be something in the range of social sciences.

3. Barnaby Hughes says:

Jeffrey, in my experience, UK addresses do not include a comma after the house number.

• Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva says:

This is simply a suggestion, but maybe one that could lead to some clues. Punch in the key words coat of arms and then add USA or another country, then check out the image results in Yahoo or Google. Then, you may start to get closer to image comparisons for the background coat of arms. If you then look at the banner style, well, some interesting resemblance (text style) to The US Government’s Justice Department: http://www.justice.gov/. This doesn’t mean that the site header + background logo of this new initiative are not valid, or original. They probably are. They may simply be mimicking official institutional web-sites’ styles. But this alone does not make them predatory or fake in any way. The predatory nature should be demonstrated through other means that are related to academic and publishing aspects. Except for the Donate button, which needs to be questioned, not condemned, I agree that the names of the two entities seem to lack legitimacy. And indeed, William is a man, not Mrs. As for the legitimacy of the 52 journals, they should not be judged before they have been given a fair chance to start publishing.

4. APS says:

I also wouldn’t trust an institution which professes to have one office at 42 Monticello Street and another at 42 Minticello Street.

5. William Yerger says:

Jeffrey,
    Does a predator journal always have some fee associated with it either upfront or after accepted?
    Bill Yerger

6. Ian Darby says:

I just got an email from Georgia Fryar asking me to submit to the journals – they will decide where my paper fits (handy). The journal titles sound in some cases rather weird and I note that some of them have only two issues per year and currently only 2 papers published. The editorial boards are aso less than impressive. I do note that an apartment in a not very attractive building is currently for rent at 42 Monticello Street, NY – so maybe they have moved!

7. Tunji says:

I have submitted a researched paper since 31st May 2014 and they promised to publish the paper by June 30th 2014. Even though i got an email that my article was accepted, several emails to them on what is delaying the publication have not been responded to. I need advice on what to do.

• jowens102 says:

Tunji, for your future reference, if you submit a manuscript to a journal and they say they will publish it less than a month later, you should consider withdrawing your submission as soon as possible. A month is not nearly enough time for all the necessary reviews, not to mention the logistics of actually getting it published. Unless you are very familiar with the journal, before submitting you should always research them, not only to see how well your manuscript fits with their other publications, but (unfortunately) also to see how legitimate they are. If you haven’t resolved this yet, I would very carefully read through the author submission guidelines and any legal documentation they may have (which I suspect might be very very limited) to see what kind of recourse you might have. I hope this has worked out for you.

8. bill says:

Their Journal of Education and Human Development now appears to have acquired a genuine Editor in Chief:

9. […] list has an especially entertaining entry on the first of these, […]

10. Peter Buzzacott says:

I just received an invitation to submit to the Journal of Physical Education and Sports Management. The invitation was signed by Dr. Lisa Toscano, Dept. of Kinesiology, Manhattan College, USA and so I googled her and the college does appear to exist, with her listed as staff.
    I followed the link to the American Research Institute for Policy Development and I see the founding director is listed as Md. Mamin Ullah (the address is now 40 Monticello St., Monticello, NY 12701, USA). A google search for him finds that name in association with the Bangladesh University of Business and Technology, a private University founded in 2003 (according to their website – no photo is available for Mr Ullah), and with the Centre for Promoting Ideas (CPI). I looked at the CPI website and note with interest that Md Mamin Ullah is listed as a director, and also that some of their journals appear on your list of predatory publications.

11. Resa says:

I’ve gotten a few emails announcing their journals. It seemed like a scam from the beginning because journals titles are pretty absurd (e.g. International Journal of Multilingual Contemporary Research) and they will publish in ANY language. I googled them because some of my colleagues started to forward these very emails. I wonder if the papers are real–an author with several papers in this journal is a graduate student, but in the paper she is listed as a professor. It’s scary to think they could just slap your name on a fake paper, especially if they have 50 journals!