The purpose of this blog post is to warn scholars to avoid having any association with Avens Publishing Group. By this I mean: don’t serve on their editorial boards, don’t submit papers to the firm’s journals, and don’t agree to review any papers for them.
When this publisher first appeared, it listed this contact address:
Avens Publishing Group
877 W 23rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
Now it uses this address, which is a house:
Avens Publishing Group
47 Hemlock Dr.
Northborough, MA 01532
The actual address is this:
Avens Publishing Group
Flat No. 502
Avens Publishing Group’s portfolio now includes 46 journals (see list below), chiefly in the area of biomedical sciences.
In its early spam emails, the publisher claimed to be non-profit:
“We are glad to invite you as an eminent editor for the Journal of Cancer Sciences. Journal of Cancer Sciences, nonprofit, open access, peer reviewed journal that is being recently launched by Avens Publishing Group with a commitment to serve the scientific community.” [emphasis added. Source: Avens Publishing Group spam email message]
There is no evidence to indicate that the firm is truly non-profit. When it first began operations, Avens Publishing Group sent spam emails to editors listing these enticements:
Editorial Board benefits:
- We will provide 20% of Journal’s yearly revenue to individual editor, for their valuable service and on fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Articles suggested (or) submitted by Editors will be provided a 50% discount.
- We will be conducting conferences yearly; relating to happenings, advancements and breakthroughs in our Journal and editors will be playing a key role in suggesting titles, educating the young scientific community and also promoting our Journal.
- The article’s fate i.e., both the acceptance or rejection of article is purely dependent on the Editor’s decision and the peer reviewing process will be confidential.
- We will be providing scientific credits to all the Editorial board members based on their active participation towards our journal.
[Source: Avens Publishing Group spam email message]
The publisher has the annoying habit of saying its spam is not spam.
“Note: This is not a spam message, and has been sent to you because of your eminence in the field. If, however, you do not want to receive any email in future from Avens Publishing Group, then please reply with your request.” [Source: Avens Publishing Group spam email message]
Avens Publishing Group is a shrewd and dishonest publisher that all researchers should avoid. If you are currently serving on one of its editorial boards, I recommend that you resign. Above all, do not submit your work to this publisher’s journals. There are many better options.
Appedix: List of Avens Publishing Group journals as of 2014-04-13
- International Journal of Nutrition
- International Journal of Otorhinolaryngology
- Journal of Addiction & Prevention
- Journal of Analytical & Molecular Techniques
- Journal of Andrology & Gynaecology
- Journal of Antimicrobial Drug Design and Therapy
- Journal of Bioanalysis & Biostatistics
- Journal of Bioelectronics and Nanotechnology
- Journal of Biowar & Defence
- Journal of Cancer Sciences
- Journal of Cardiobiology
- Journal of Chemistry and Applications
- Journal of Clinical & Medical Case Reports
- Journal of Clinical and Investigative Dermatology
- Journal of Clinical Trials & Patenting
- Journal of Cytology & Molecular Biology
- Journal of Emergency Medicine & Critical Care
- Journal of Environmental Studies
- Journal of Epidemiology & Drug Research
- Journal of Food Processing & Beverages
- Journal of Forensic Investigation
- Journal of Gene Therapy
- Journal of Geriatrics and Palliative Care
- Journal of Glycemic Disorders
- Journal of Hematology & Thrombosis
- Journal of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Journal of Integrative Medicine & Therapy
- Journal of Metabolomics & Systems Biology
- Journal of Neurology and Psychology
- Journal of Obesity and Bariatrics
- Journal of Ocular Biology
- Journal of Oncobiomarkers
- Journal of Oral Biology
- Journal of Orthopedics & Rheumatology
- Journal of Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease
- Journal of Pediatrics & Child Care
- Journal of Pharmaceutics & Pharmacology
- Journal of Plant Biology & Soil Health
- Journal of Proteomics & Computational Biology
- Journal of Surgery
- Journal of Syndromes
- Journal of Toxins
- Journal of Transplantation & Stem Cell Biology
- Journal of Urology & Nephrology
- Journal of Vaccine & Immunotechnology
- Journal of Veterinary Science & Medicine