A Curious Case of a Hijacked Journal, or Just a Title Change?

ddd

International Journal of Junk.

I am trying to understand what’s going on with the International Journal of Scientific Research (IJScR). It claims to be published by the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) in Al-Ain, Abu Dhabi.

The journal’s ISSN number is 1832-1011. Searching this number in WorldCat, one retrieves a bibliographic record for a journal with the similar title International Journal of Science & Research.

Here is a screenshot of the record:

WorldCat 1

ddd

What’s the connection, exactly?

As you see, the ISSN matches, but little else does. Has the journal’s title been changed and its ownership transferred from the International Research Association in Australia to the United Arab Emirates University? Has it been hijacked? The journal’s website doesn’t answer these questions.

Seeking clarification, I sent an email to Ghalia Alahbabi, the University’s Head of Media Communication but received no reply. Then I emailed the Dean of the University’s library, Prof. Hassan Al Naboodah, but he merely referred my inquiry to a subordinate who gave me a response that indicated he didn’t understand my question.

The current issue of the journal contains the article “Mystical Discussion in poetry of contemporary poets of Azerbaijan” By Aliakbar Radpoor and Almaz Aligizi, which doesn’t seem to be “scientific research” to me. Also, it’s easy to find plagiarism in the articles, and it’s clear that no copyediting has been done in most of them.

ddd

Thomson Reuters “Master” list.

Further complicating this, the journal is included in the Thomson Reuters Master List, a listing that seems to confirm that the United Arab Emirates University is the publisher. But this list, despite being used by many as an indicator of journal quality, has been polluted with data from hijacked journals recently. I find the list unreliable.

In the end, it doesn’t matter who the publisher of the International Journal of Scientific Research is. It’s a horrible journal, and serious scholars should not submit their work to it.

12 Responses to A Curious Case of a Hijacked Journal, or Just a Title Change?

1. P Canning says:

The PDF of all articles in VOL.03 ISSUE 01 (2013) is giving 404 errors. What happened to the articles?

Open access publishing is a cheating game played by crooks to take advantage of gullible authors. I completely agree with Jeffrey Beall that we need to settle on the best model for dissemination of scholarly research but as he says, and I agree 100% that neither green nor gold open-access is that model.

And people say I am a troll!!!

2. Helen H. Gordon says:

Yes, beware of the predatory publishers who ask you to pay for having your paper published. I got tricked into sending a manuscript to World Journal of Academic Advance, whose editors (in Nigeria, yet) asked for a “processing fee” and would have made my article the only one in a hastily contrived electronic journal with misleading categories so that nobody would be able to find it by searching. When I complained, they accused me of not honoring my agreement (yeah!) So I withdrew my article and sent a notice to the web site of “Writer Beware” — always a good place to check.

3. Joseph says:

I can see that ISSN 1832-1011 was originally issued for print version of journal. Its not for online version however, IJScR is an online journal. Second, now i cannot find this ISSN in ISSN directory. Something really strange about this journal.

4. Shawn says:

This really just shows how terrible Thomson Reuters is. Different title, country, publisher, dates, and media type. Even if this title is related to the Australian journal, the ISSN should have been stripped.

5. P Canning says:

No one to say anything!! What happened to all the supporters of open access publishing who were espousing so much? I am right. If you want to publish go with the best, and open access publishing is NOT the best.

6. yklein2013 says:

I submitted a manuscripts to Sage Open. I got lengthy and detailed comments, with a suggestion that I revise and resubmit. After having done so, the paper was given an extremely thorough copy editing. The initial submission was on 9 September 2013; the submission of the revised manuscript was on 28 May 2014; the paper was published (online) on 20 August 2014. The paper is licensed under Creative Commons licenses. We paid a submission fee of $99 when the paper was accepted. I am satisfied with the process and the final product.

7. Mob says:

Dear Canning

Fraud exists anywhere even in ELSEVIER, just look at the so called journal published by this well known publisher: Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences

Download one article randomly and judge it by yourself. Also note that My Beall normally delete many messages coming from OA supporters so they stop following this blog.

Farid

8. P Canning says:

I don’t believe you. Why would Mr. Beall delete messages? This blog is about open access publishing. Mr. Beall is trying to clean the mess open access publishing has made in the scholarly world. If Mr. Beall is deleting messages it would mean that he has some ulterior motive in running this blog. What could that be? That Mr. Beall is against open access or that he is working to benefit some publishers? I have heard these arguments before and i don’t believe them either. Another reason I don’t believe you is because Mr. Beall has published every comment I have made on this blog.

9. herr doktor bimler says:

The National Library of Australia catalog has an entry for the Australian journal of that name, listing it as beginning in 2005 (it also provides an e-address for the Australian publisher), with no further information.

A little more Googling found references to papers from the 2005 issue. My guess is that it quickly went moribund, inspiring unknown scammers — who may or may not be based in the UAE — to start up their own website, using the old ISSN because who’s going to stop them?

The first few papers I looked at, in the first few issues, all seem to have been scraped from low-level or predatory journals elsewhere on the http://WWW... perhaps on the theory that such journals are less likely to notice or complain about plagiarism.

10. […] Jeffrey Beall, a librarian at the University of Colorado Denver who regularly identifies questionable journals, wonders if the International Journal of Science & Research has been hijacked by a new owner in Scholarly Open Access, […]

11. Robert Rittenhouse says:

P. Canning:
    Proprietary journal publishers are also a problem. Elsevier, which seems to be one of your favorites, published 6 fake journals bought and paid for by pharmaceutical companies. See http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/27383/title/Elsevier-published-6-fake-journals/

Jeffrey Beall performs a valuable service in pointing out fraudulent open access journals but I’m sure he will agree they are not the only problem.