The Epitome of Predatory Publishers

IJCRM means International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management

Scholarly publishing has never been so easy.

The English word epitome can mean, according to Wictionary, “The embodiment or encapsulation of” or “A representative example.” Here I want to describe a publisher that is the epitome of predatory publishers.

The publisher is IJCRM. This India-based publisher is among the lowest-quality publishers I’ve seen. Some of its articles are a dumping ground of plagiarism. It’s clear that this publisher does not check for plagiarism prior to publishing its  articles.

On its website, the publisher has trouble distinguishing among singular and plural and possessive. The site describes itself as a journal — indeed, IJCRM means International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management. However, this publisher has four journals in its portfolio:

The titles of the four journals are absurdly similar — it didn’t take a lot of time for someone to come up with them.

I think that this publisher is basically a one-man operation. He is Surender Kumar Poonia, a guy with an MBA. To make his scheme look legitimate, Poonia has concocted an elaborate hierachy of officials for his publishing business. It includes people at all these levels:

Chief Patron
Patron
Co-ordinator
Advisors
Editor
Co-Editor
Editorial Advisory Board
Associate Editors
Technical Advisor
Financial Advisors
Legal Advisors
Superintendent

Poomia is the lone person at the lowest level, superintendent, but we think he is really the “man behind the curtain” for this publisher.

We found a couple of the other characters interesting. The Chief Patron is Prof. K.K. Aggarwal, and, accordiong to his bio, “In 1975, he rose to the level of Professor at an age of 27½ years, probably the youngest person in the world to have achieved this level.” Very impressive.

We also found the information about the firm’s Investment Consultant to be captivating:

Neena

Interesting address.

Don’t mess with Neena.

It’s very easy to find plagiarism among this publisher’s journals. Give it a try. Randomly select an article, find a phrase that is written in standard English, and search it as a phrase in Google. If you get any hits from other sources, it’s a good bet that you’ve discovered some plagiarism. But don’t tell Neena.

11 Responses to The Epitome of Predatory Publishers

1. Laura says:

I found playing “spot the plagiarism” to be a lot more fun that I thought it would be. Then again, it wasn’t very hard.

2. sahanamadhyastha says:

Hi Dr. Beall
    What is your assessment of journals published by Kamal reaj enterprises?

3. […] Da aggiungere alla lista di Beall: The Epitome of Predatory Publishers. […]

4. jsalassi3344 says:

As an up and coming researcher I found this blog to be EXTREMELY useful. Thank you for all that you do and keep up the good work.

5. Yiannis says:

Actually, it is an ancient greek word

6. John Boxer says:

Watch out for the Royal Society of Chemistry. They are using their respected journals to extract “invited articles”, rejecting the articles and suggesting they be submitted to their newly acquired, 2013, no impact factor journals.

7. Teresa says:

Awesome! The first sentence I tried (from AFFECT OF SALES PROMOTIONAL TOOLS ON PURCHASE INTENTIONS OF CONSUMERS) was found on About.com. I then found the entire article published word for word in a different journal 4 years ago!

8. arilab says:

Thank you for mentioning this source. I think that we should start preparing a black list of such journals. Some young colleagues may fall in the trap and pay the publications fees to Neena. Btw., I believe there is an underlying cause for the existence and growth of such pseudo-journals. The extreme use of the number of journal publications as the absolute criterium for evaluating a scientist or an institution…

9. Yehuda L Klein says:

I have received a notice from “Inderscience Publishers,” which seems to publish something for everyone. What is their reputation? Should I submit to them?

• Yehuda, Because this publisher is not an open-access publisher, I have not completed a full analysis of it. I limit my focus to OA publishers and journals. However, I can tell you that I regularly receive inquiries about this publisher. Thanks, Jeffrey Beall

10. […] actual journals, only citations (e.g. “The suspicious case of Science Record journals”; “The epitome of predatory publishers”). The lack of any serious editorial or peer review means that authors can publish the same thing […]