The “Open Research Network” Launches with 86 New OA Journals

Open Research Network

“The most exciting researches … “

The Open Research Network is a brand-new, open-access publisher with 86 journals in its fleet. The publisher developed a very interesting method of coming up with the 86 journal titles — they copied them from another publisher.

According to its website, the Open Research Network’s mission is:

“Sharing academic knowledge through Publishing the most exciting researches with respect to the subjects of our Journals and providing a rapid turn-around time possible”

Many of the 86 journal titles match exactly the titles published by the firm called Academic Journals, except that this publisher’s journals have “ORN” at the beginning of the title.

For example, Academic Journals publishes the Journal of Cell Biology and Genetics, and the Open Research Network publishes the ORN Journal of Cell Biology and Genetics.

Much of the text appearing on each individual journal’s web page also is lifted from the corresponding page on the Academic Journals website.

So, it appears that this publisher is just a poorly-disguised copy of Academic Journals. Each of the journal webpages was created using a template, and then they must have pasted in content from the other publisher. I reckon setting up the new publisher’s website took the better part of a morning.

I don’t know whether this copying was done with authorization or not.

Each of the journals charges a $300 article processing charge. None has any articles or any editorial board members at this time.

Does anyone want to take a chance and be the first one to submit a paper to one of this publisher’s journals? They’re accepting papers now, even though they don’t have any editorial boards established.

Appendix: List of ORN journals as of May 23, 2013:

• ORN Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Health
  • ORN Journal of Vocational and Technical Education
  • ORN Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering
  • ORN Journal of Yeast and Fungal Research

22 Responses to The “Open Research Network” Launches with 86 New OA Journals

1. Susan Ariew says:

I noticed that Academic Journals is also on your “Beall’s List.” Does that mean one predatory publisher has copied from another? what next?

2. Aleks Kleyn says:

From this post is not clear your point of view. In previous posts you usualy criticised such journals. But here text looks like you accepted it. However in the whole history through your different post one question appears. I can understand that when a lot of new journals appear such that it makes easier to publish new ideas is good. The ability of well established journals is limitted and volume of new research is growing, However I cannot understand what is good in new magazine if it just copy and paste existing papers and how such magazine can survive and be useful in future?

• People have asked me to be nicer and more objective. I am trying to take their advice. I do have this publisher on my list (just added it after realizing I had forgotten to place it after writing the blog post). If any scholar is considering submitting a article to this publisher or serving on one of their editorial boards, I recommend that they find a better publisher.

3. Susan Ariew says:

Well, Jeff, in my book you are just being truthful and sometimes the truth isn’t “nice.” I’m amazed at what you discover and report on each day, including this story. Keep em coming!

4. I really don’t understand the sense in someone advising you to be nicer and be more objective. Please elucidate. Was there a certain occasion when you weren’t nice and objective? I need to know.

5. Eve Douglas says:

Dear Beall,

Have you noticed that non of the journal has ISSN allocated to it. I want to inform you that there is no contact details in “contact us”. ISSN can never be issued until journal displays the geographical location. Now at some day they will show the location to satisfy the ISSN issuance authority. Its a good chance to catch up.

6. Dear Eve Douglas, I doubt if there is any strong connection between ISSN and journal contact details? The argument that ISSN can never be issued until journal displays its geographical location is altogether wrong given the prevailing tactics of predatory practice and the ISSN policies of each country. Did you also forget that these guys could provide the ISSN issuer a different contact detail from the one in their website? How stringent is ISSN rules in each country? From a grapevine, I learnt that ISSN is sold in the open market in a certain country. By this, I mean you apply for ISSN assignment with some money. So, in this very case, will the issuer care whether you have a contact detail or not?

• Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva says:

Mr. Tonukari, your accusation is serious and has massive ramifications for the publishing world. If the ISSN is in fact involved in such fraud, then please provide the proof, indicating exactly what country you are referring to, the persons responsible, the prices, etc. This information, if true, should be in the public domain. I have my serious criticisms of the ISSN and I believe that they are part of the problem in OA publishing rather than the solution. See my paper on this: http://www.globalsciencebooks.info/JournalsSup/images/2013/AAJPSB_7(SI1)/AAJPSB_7(SI1)76-80o.pdf
      I requested the ISSN to provide a complete response to my questions in February, 2013 and I am yet to receive any response almost 4 months later.

• Eve Douglas says:

Dear Jaime,
        So, strange you say it “paper”, however, it is not an academic paper but just a piece of questions.
        Second, this is also strange that the you have published your work in a predatory journal published by Japanese based predatory publisher, and you are referring it in order to dishonor ISSN system.
        This is so bad, and be remember ISSN is simply a serial number, no relation with quality. The quality indicator is the listing of journal in TR, Scopus etc, editorial board and journal review practices.

7. Eve Douglas says:

Dear Ochuko Tonukari, manipulation and tactics are everywhere in the world, no business is transparent in its spirit, i can bet my words. And, you should know that there are strict policies for ISSN allocation, publishers have to comply those policies. If you are sure with evidence of bribery and monetary benefits in ISSN allocation, let me know, i shall inform the ISSN head office to immediately cancel out the registration of regional ISSN entity. And if you do not have evidence than do not believe on fake news. Remember one thing, believe where you are living, if you feel doubt in everything than one day you shall also doubt in yourself. Live a life full of confidence and surety.

• Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva says:

Dear Eve Douglas, I have tried, in vain, to identify who you might be. However, the web is full of Eve Douglas’, so perhaps some of your background would be useful so we, the academic community, can assess the bias in your criticism. Your criticism of my “paper” is well taken, although you either seem to be misguided about what the definition of a paper is, or about the scope of what a paper can contain. However, I can assure you that my “paper” has raised massive awareness among peers, and most of the responses have been extremely encouraging and supportive, making me wonder if indeed you are extremely biased or not. What you seem to fail to understand is that all agencies, including publishers, the ISSN, Thomson Reuters, and others, all of whom are associated with OA publishers, have to be more acountable for their responsibilities, that they have to be more transparent to the scientific community and that they have to answer the questions I asked, simply because their web-site and their structure is currently simply not taking any responsibility for dishing out hundreds of ISSN numbers to any predatory publisher that is born, in this case ORN. Predatory publishers abuse the ISSN system to give them some sort of credibility, but then, at least according to Mr. Tonugari, some countries seem to be able to “buy” their ISSN numbers, feeding into the rampant fraud within OA publishing. So, I simply asked Mr. Tonugari to prove his point and share the facts behind his claims. Is he referring to corruption in the Nigerian system, since he is, after all, Nigerian? My “paper” is still valid and the questions asked still require a transparent response from the ISSN, whether you like them or not. After all, the ISSN is supposed to be serving the academic community, so let it, otherwise stop trying to serve a useless service, as it will be interpreted as a disservice. On a final note, just to be absolutely sure, do you work for the ISSN or some other publishing agency?

8. The Iron Chemist says:

To heck with nice. These guys are trying to mislead and rob people.

9. Nils says:

At least we have to give them one thing: they came up with a clever way to solve the duplicate journal name problem. I’m just waiting for Cosmic Research Academic Publishing to launch a whole set of new journals.

10. Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva says:

Eve Douglas, do you work for the ISSN? You seem to be defending it so fervently. The ISSN purportedly claims to be serving the academic community, so let it be more transparent and respond to queries by the academic community. Failure to respond or silence simply feeds more distrust into the system. Regarding your criticisms of the “paper”, you seem to grossly misunderstand the scope, sensu lato, of what a paper is. I tried to track you on sciencedirect and PubMed, but I couldn’t find a single hot for your name, suggesting that you are either working for industry or for the ISSN. Identify who you are so we can assess your criticisms and bias within the context of the publishing world. Mr. Tonukari, who is in fact Nigerian and not Japanese, still needs to prove his claims, which, if true, will be a serious set-back for the academic and OA communities, I believe. Is Mr. Tonukari referring to Nigeria?

11. Dear Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva, I just finished reading your paper where you raised 62 questions about ISSN. I must confess that they are quite educative and revealing. However, regarding what I said about the ISSN, it is no joke. I like the fact that you were able to single me out as a Nigerian; yes indeed, I am. But I will like to come out here without minding whose horse is gored. Specifically, ISSN is not free in Nigeria. Whether you are applying for pre-publication or post-publication assignment in Nigeria, you have to apply with a certain amount of money. As a matter of fact, the officials issuing the ISSN in Nigeria are quite corrupt. They don’t need to see the material for which you are applying the ISSN. All they need is the money. You only get an ISSN free of charge when you know someone up there. This is also true of some other countries that I know. I am only mentioning the case of my country here so as not to appear bias. This was why I told Eve Douglas that there is no strong connection between ISSN and journal contact details? And as to whether Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva’s work is a paper or not, I think it falls into a kind of paper. I believe it takes a certain amount of work to come up with those set of intelligent questions. Forgive me though, but this is just my humble opinion.
    I would have being Jeffrey Beall’s worst critic but I discovered somehow that there is nothing for which any sane person should really criticize the man. There is something about Beall’s presentation of facts that one cannot ignore. The high points in Beall’s critical blog lie in his unbiased approach to issues. He criticizes what he considers as predatory publishers irrespective of the country the publisher is from. I would like to take the neutrality and impartiality I see in this and run with it. Thank you Jeffrey Beall for having been the drum major who was able and ready to lead the scientific community to light.

12. I wish to express the view that I am trained as a librarian. The claim I made about ISSN in Nigeria is very true. This morning, I had to even confirm from my colleague who said a single ISSN is sold for ₦10, 000 which is the equivalent of 70 dollars. For those who care to know, the guys who perpetrate this crime are staff of The National Library of Nigeria, Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria. Like I said before now, I don’t want to mention the case of other countries I know for certain personal reasons.

13. Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva says:

Dear Ochuko Tonukari, I do believe that to apply for and receive an ISSN in many countries, developed and developing, is supposed not to cost any money. You seem to be extremely confident about the fraud in Nigeria regarding the buying and selling of ISSN numbers. If so, then contact me (it will be easy to find my e-mail). I would be interested in compiling your proof and publishing this proof as evidence of corruption, fraud and incompetence within the ISSN. Such information involves the public, involves the academic community, and should be archived forever for future generations of librarians and scientists to know that in the history of the ISSN, not all was well. It can be published as a “paper”, just to satisfy Ms. Douglas, who has yet to answer about her association with ISSN or with the academic community. Kindly note that I only wanted your confirmation regarding nationality because the family name Tonukari can also be Japanese (Tonugari), so I just wanted that confirmation! As a librarian, you will be able to appreciate the importance of archiving. This is now my No. 1 priority as part of Liberate Science, to start to formally archive and publish (for posterity) any and all possible evidence of fraud, at any level.

14. […] 28 maggio: l’Open Research Network lancia 86 riviste con il titolo, salvo rara eccezione, di quelle dell’Academic Press – slogan: la quantità conta più della qualità – con il prefisso ORN; […]

15. nongnapa says:

All of you talk about predatory journals but no one finds a way to help academic people who was cheating by predatory journal.