There is a new questionable publisher called ScienceQ. Its main contact address is in Taiwan, and it also lists a “Productions centre” address in India. I suspect this publisher may be trying to confuse scholars into thinking it is actually the legitimate publisher called Q Science.
The domain name registration data is blocked, so I cannot tell where this publisher is really based. An unsigned spam email forwarded to me gives no clue where ScienceQ is really based or who is behind it. It’s a mysterious operation.
The spam email claims, “We enables [sic] the very rapid dissemination of timely and significant research articles to the global scientific community.” In the context of questionable publishers, “very rapid dissemination” usually translates as “no real peer review.”
The publisher is waiving article processing charges, a common strategy for OA publishers that need content to fill up their empty journals.
At this time, none of the publisher’s nine journals has an ISSN. However, most of their journals have published at least a few articles, and most list editorial board members.
As mentioned, I am concerned that this new publisher is trying to steal the name of the established (and legitimate) publisher Q Science, based in Qatar. Or, is the new publisher just so clueless that they don’t even know that a similarly-named publisher already exists?
Hat tip: Dr. Michael Mowat
Appendix: List of ScienceQ Publishing Group journals as of January 22, 2013
- Journal of Advanced Botany and Zoology
- Journal of Advancement in Engineering and Technology
- Journal of Advancement in Medical and Life Sciences
- Journal of Bioprocessing and Chemical Engineering
- Journal of Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure Analysis
- Journal of Computation in Biosciences and Engineering
- Journal of Macromolecular Networks and Structural Biology
- Journal of Modern Drug Discovery and Drug Delivery Research
- Journal of Physical and Chemical Sciences