ClinMed International Library is an open-access publisher of 16 medical journals. This publisher stands out for the extremely poor use of language on its website and in its spam email. It appears the publisher uses automated translation software to translate its website content into English.
A researcher forwarded one of ClinMed’s spam emails to me, and it begins, “Deliberate greets from International Journal of Stem cell Research & Therapy…”
I have never heard the term “Deliberate greets” before.
A full copy of the email is here [PDF]. The message is signed by “Allison Zoey,” a name I believe is made up. The email gives Lewes, Delaware as the headquarters address, but the website says the address (and company name) is this:
Science Resource Online LLC
113 Barksdale Professional Center
Newark, DE 19711, USA
(“DE” is the abbreviation for the U.S state of Delaware).
Delaware is a small state that has low corporate tax rates. There are services based in Delaware that arrange fast and easy online incorporation for businesses, including publishers. Accordingly, many predatory publishers have registered their businesses via the internet to make it look like they are based in the United States, a strategy that may help increase their revenue.
I don’t know ClinMed’s real headquarters location.
The firm’s FAQ page is a hilarious read, if you need a good laugh. Here’s a selection:
Q. What is the benefit you pave for my article publication and how it could be a beneficiary approach to me?
A. Soulful benefit service allows all editorial office works to follow the norms once article is accepted by CMIL. Article is published in e-form with apt PDF accepted by copyright license free for readers at any part of the world.
Q. A time frame has detained me to lose my paper ID. How do I get it?
A. To retain or obtain your manuscript ID, please write to the respective journal editor regarding the loss of manuscript ID to help front for the request within 24hrs.
This publisher is so desperate for article submissions that it claims it is not charging an article processing charge at this time. Among scholarly open-access publishers, this one ranks among the most annoying, unprofessional, and sloppy. Because this is a medical publisher, its unprofessionalism makes it that much more dangerous than others.
Hat tip: Dr. Ali Mobasheri
Appendix: List of ClinMed International Library journals as of 2014-09-01:
- Clinical Medical Reviews and Case Reports
- International Journal of Anesthetics and Anesthesiology
- International Journal of Blood Research and Disorders
- International Journal of Cancer and Clinical Research
- International Journal of Clinical Cardiology
- International Journal of Diabetes and Clinical Research
- International Journal of Immunology and Immunotherapy
- International Journal of Medical Nano Research
- International Journal of Neurology and Neurotherapy
- International Journal of Ophthalmology and Clinical Research
- International Journal of Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine
- International Journal of Stem cell Research & Therapy
- International Journal of Surgery Research and Practice
- International Journal of Virology and AIDS
- Journal of Genetics and Genome Research
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology Cases – Reviews