BioMed Research is a brand-new open-access publisher based in India that recently launched with 21 open-access journals. The publisher copies the look, feel — and even the tagline — of the established OA publisher BioMed Central.
This new publisher has a single, six-member editorial board for all 21 of its low-quality journals, and it promises a fast peer review process:
We Review the Manuscript under Fast Track System and time taken from submission to online publication is Less Than 10 Days!
Most of the new publisher’s journals have article content, but it is lifted from other publishers. For example, the article “Bioactive Potential of Seagrass Extracts against Dengue Fever Mosquito” appears in BioMed Research’s journal called BMR Parasitology, but most of the content appears to be lifted from the article “Bioactivity of seagrass against the dengue fever mosquito Aedes aegypti larvae” that originally appeared in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, a journal published by Elsevier.
The publisher claims to be based in Kanpur Nagar, Uttar Pradesh, India. The table below, copied from the website, shows the article processing charges for Indians and for “foreigner authors.”
This is clearly a junk publisher, and I am sure that the vast majority of researchers will have the scholarly publishing literacy skills necessary to be able to recognize and avoid this as a predatory publisher. Let’s hope it quickly withers and dies.
Appendix: List of BioMed Research Journals as of 2014-09-01:
- BMR Antioxidants & Redox Biology
- BMR Biochemistry
- BMR Bioinformatics & Cheminformatics
- BMR Biology
- BMR Biotechnology
- BMR Cancer Research
- BMR Cellular and Molecular Biology
- BMR Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- BMR Food & Nutrition Research
- BMR Gene and Genome Biology
- BMR Medicinal Chemistry Research
- BMR Medicine
- BMR Microbiology
- BMR Parasitology
- BMR Phytomedicine
- BMR Toxicology
- International Journal of Engineering & Scientific Research
- International Journal of Ethnobiology & Ethnomedicine
- International Journal of Pharmacy & Bio-Sciences
- Journal of Plant & Agriculture Research
- Pharmacology & Toxicology Research