Fake ISI Aims to Trick the Scholarly Community

Institute for Science Information

Institute for Deception.

I recently learned of an impostor website for Journal Citation Reports, the product marketed by Thomson Reuters, and the successor of the Institute for Scientific Information. The impostor calls itself the “Institute for Science Information.”

The purpose of the website is to sell impact factors to scholarly journals. I keep a list of these fake impact factor companies here. I call the list “Misleading metrics.”

The fake site uses a URL that appears to intentionally mislead people into thinking it’s an authentic site:

Institute for Science Information URL

Deceptive and misleading.

It uses the URL http://isi-thomsonreuters.com/main

In fact, this site has no connection to Thomson Reuters. It is a counterfeit website. Its customers will be predatory publishers, who, upon buying this firm’s services, will then advertise their journals as having an ISI impact factor.

It is now necessary to verify all journal impact factor claims. If you need help in this verification, I recommend that you contact your academic librarian.

27 Responses to Fake ISI Aims to Trick the Scholarly Community

1. Yurii says:

I suggest forwarding it to Thomson Reuters. Looking at their web address I see several potential trademark violations.

2. David says:

This is owned by an Indian, although website was registered from UK cleverly, but owner forgot to change NAME SERVERS.
    Here these are:

Name Server: ns1.best-hosting.co.in
    Name Server: ns2.best-hosting.co.in

3. Marco says:

I checked the whois entry, and it probably contains false information. The address given for the registrar is 15 Shiprow in Aberdeen, which is an Ibis hotel (Centre).

Also funny, my McAfee site advisor warns of the website and identifies it as a potential phishing website.

4. herr doktor bimler says:

Browsing through the list of indexed journals brings up a lot of the usual suspects, so you could add “use of their services” as one more criterion for rating a publisher as a scam.

• Agreed. I hope to re-write the criteria document I use and add this as a new one. It’s not currently listed as a criterion because the fake metrics companies didn’t exist when I last updated the document in 2012.

• Stan says:

Well, when the fakers will have a minute to think about it a bit, they’ll promptly fill their list with legitimate journals. Potentially they can replicate the Master List from real Thompson Reuters – plus their clients. Fake higher education accreditors exist for decades and use this trick.

5. J.J. says:

It’s fascinating to see a whole sub-economy blooming around fake science. This is the second case of predators praying on predatory publishers that I see on this blog (the first one was the Turkish-based attempt to impersonate the author of this blog and ask ‘US $ 5000 to remove their journals names from https://scholarlyoa.com/‘).

Maybe it’s a deliberate sting operation to trick fake publishers and they intend to donate the revenues to legitimate research.

6. David says:

This is perfect competition market, and supply and demand of such science and metrics will be automatically controlled by Adam Smith’s invisible hand. No need to worry guys……….

• J.J. says:

That would only be true if science was not primarily conducted by state-sponsored institutions where the decision to spend the money is not taken by the ones who earned it. Academia is anything but a free market.

• David says:

From where state get money? Isn’t this the money of “We the People”? I thought you never looked to the corporations owned publications, research labs, universities and research institutions. Or you have no idea about Economic markets and systems. Always remember, in history, economic markets were always destroyed by third party interventions and ECONOMISTS always condemn third parties actions. And yea as I said academia is a perfect competition market just like other economic markets………THERE SHOULD BE NO INTERVENTION BETWEEN DEMAND AND SUPPLY. The third party should always be Adam Smith’s invisible hand, which is actually nature who control demand and supply mechanics.

• J.J. says:

“you have no idea about Economic markets and systems”

says the person who mistakes the presence of privately owned actors for a free market and is capable of the following absurdity:

“academia is a perfect competition market”

A good read on the specific subject of publishing:

7. Andy says:

Thanks for highlighting this scam. I also received an email from ‘ISI’ recently.

Could you fix the hyperlink to ‘misleading metrics’ as I wish to share this warning with a group of editors.

8. Арнольд Бренер says:

Dear Jeffrey,

I would be very grateful if you could give unbiassed information about Europäische Akademie der Naturwisseschaften in Hannover. The point is that I have a reason for some doubts. May be I am mistaken.

Best regards,

Arnold

Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:01:21 +0000 от Scholarly Open Access : >Jeffrey Beall posted: ”

I recently learned of an impostor website for Journal Citation Reports, the product marketed by Thomson Reuters, and the successor of the Institute of Scientific Information. The impostor calls itself the “Institute for Science Information.”

Th” >

• Hi, Arnold,
      I generally limit my work to publishers of scholarly journals. I don’t see that this society has a journal publishing program. If I am missing it, please can you send me the link? Thanks, Jeffrey Beall

• Marco says:

I would stay away from that organization. Outside information on it is available in German, and it doesn’t look very promising. It apparently works closely together with the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, which counts amongst its members creationists, spirit healers, and other cranks (for lack of a better word). Information in Russian here, I assume it is a faithful translation of the German version:

Information on the European Academy of Natural Sciences is only availabe in German:
      If it is correct that it provides a “Hahnemann” medal, it is clearly a pseudoscientific organization: Hahnemann is the founder of homeopathy.

Hope this helps.

• herr doktor bimler says:

Perhaps it could be more accurately described as a German front for the “Russian Academy of Natural Sciences”, promoting the activities of that organisation’s members outside Russia. Its main webpages are in Russian, its members are almost all from Saint Petersburg.

Which in turn seems to be a vanity organisation set up by people who are too cranky for the proper Russian Academy of Science, so they could award one another honorary titles.

Quite apart from the faith healing and the crystals, its members have a weird fascination with medieval orders of chivalry, styling themselves as Knights of Malta or International Union of World Knights. Then there are the Nobel Prizes that they award to one another… named after Ludvig rather than the more famous Alfred Nobel.

9. wimcrusio says:

Note that their “Impact Factor” page (http://isi-thomsonreuters.com/main/evaluation), with a 2014 copyright notice at the bottom, is a verbatim copy of the Wikipedia article on the impact factor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_factor)

10. Ali Elmerabit says:

Fake journal using fake Misleading Metrics

Just an example and there is many, especially from India!
    The IJERD (http://www.ijerd.com/) is a false journal:
    – The journal is not indexed in any index cited or any databases.
    – No one is part of the Editorial Board
    – No editor in chief, no full name, no address, just they called themselves “IJERD team”; they are swindling people for money. Some articles are in French!!!
    – …

11. […] bien: recientemente se descubrió la existencia de una institución fraudulenta que se hace llamar “Institute for Science […]

12. Livia says:

Hello Jeffrey! What do you think about this http://www.drji.org/AboutUs.aspx Directory of Research Journals Indexing. I didn´t find it in the lis of Misleading Metrics.

Thank you!

Livia

13. Livia says:

A researcher of my university is publishing in The Journal of Dentist, that is indexed by this metric. I am worried about it.

Thanks!

14. Dheeraj Shah says:

I got a mail from another possible fake impact factor service.

From: International Institute of Organized Research [mailto:editor.i2or@gmail.com]
    Sent: 20 October 2015 11:36
    To: i2or.pif@gmail.com
    Subject: I2OR Indexing Servcies and Evaluation of Publication Impact Factor (PIF) – regarding

Dear Publisher/Editor,

We are pleased to inform you that your Journal is indexed in the International Institute of Organized Research (I2OR) database.

You can visit the following link to search your Journal Indexed with I2OR.

You can use I2OR LOGO on your website (Download Attachment).

Further, you are eligible to apply for Publication Impact Factor (PIF) which is an important parameter to mark the quality of your Journal.

Steps to Apply for PIF:

1. Submit the link to previous two issues of your Journal for Evaluation if it is an open access Journal else submit the soft copy of the same

in the form of .pdf if it is not an Open Access Journal.

2. Submit Evaluation fee:

Rs 1000 (INR) – Indian Publishers

$40 (USD) – Rest of the World

in the following A/C and send us the transaction proof (scanned/snapshot) for verification.

Details of Account:

Beneficiary Name – International Institute of Organized Research

Beneficiary Account No. – 187711100000584

Bank – Andhra Bank

Account Type: Current

Branch – Kharar, Mohali, Punjab, India

Branch Code: 1877

IFSC: ANDB0001877

Swift Code: ANDBINDB

Your Journal will be evaluated on the basis of various parameters like Quality of Content, Quality of Publication, Designated Editorial &

Reviewer Board, Indexing, Citation of papers etc. You will receive PIF for your journal with in 7 to 10 days of submission of the requisite documents.

<<>>.

Please Ignore this mail if already applied.

With Warm Regards

Acquisition Editor

I2OR

15. Altaf ullah Chohan says:

Actually there are many publishing houses in India now. This is one of the booming business in central India. they are making lots of money out of this.