Another Predatory Publisher Accepts a Computer-Generated Paper

American Research Institute for Policy Development

Interesting author names.

The predatory journal named Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology has accepted a bogus, computer-generated paper entitled “Robots No Longer Considered Harmful.” The paper’s “authors” are listed as I.P. Freely, Oliver Clothesoff, Jacques Strap, Hugh Jazz and Amanda Huginkiss.

The journal’s publisher, the so-called American Research Institute for Policy Development, lists the journal’s editor-in-chief as Dr. Pauline Ratnasingam from the University of Central Missouri.

American Research Institute for Policy Development

Did the editor approve this article?

The publisher has a slick and convincing website that has tricked many scholars into thinking it’s a legitimate publisher. The website looks like it might belong to the State Department or some other agency. There is no real “institute” behind this firm; it is just a predatory publisher aiming to make easy money off of unwary scholars.

American Research Institute for Policy Development

Looks impressive, but it’s completely fake.

Conclusion: Please, please, do not submit any papers to the 52 journals published by the fake and inauthentic American Research Institute for Policy Development (ARIPD). It is a very harmful publisher.

Table of contents view.

Table of contents view.

37 Responses to Another Predatory Publisher Accepts a Computer-Generated Paper

1. George Davis says:

Sad and funny at the same time.

• Jill M says:

True that it is sad, but it is also the best laugh I have had in a while. And, they didn’t even wait until April 1 to publish!

2. Hi
    Please dont include us in the predatory list.We are only a start up journal which needs more papers to release the first issue

• Scholarly communication is a very serious business, and I don’t think you’re ready for it. Your website is not professional. Instead of me removing your journal from my list, I would ask that you shut down your website. Please.

• Reinhard says:

Now these yournals are exposing themselves to you and are begging not to be included. This is hillarious.

• mickeymusing says:

Wouldn’t the best way to be excluded from a list of predatory publishers be to not engage in predatory publication practices? It seems fairly obvious that the best way to protect your professional integrity is to actually have some. If you do, there should be no need to make a request like this.

• MC says:

What a joke. You don’t even identify yourself, the journal website looks like it was created by a 6 year old, and you have no basis for arguing against being included on Beall’s list.

I suggest you give up immediately and notify all and any of those on your ‘review board’ that you have improperly used their names.

3. A. Scholar says:

…, and nice catch with the names. The impunity of mis-information, is far more harmful than any nano-bytes, or other A.I..

4. Robert Thompson says:

…as Long as they Dream of Electric Sheep!”
    /Robert T.

5. jshrager says:

This is quite clearly a SciGen paper. Any way of finding out who really submitted it so that we can scold them for not giving some sort of nod to SciGen?

6. Ken Lanfear says:

Dr. Pauline Ratnasingam appears to be a legitimate researcher at the University of Central Missouri. Curiously, she does NOT list editorship of this journal on her CV. Does she even know she is listed as Editor?

7. Shawn says:

Wait…This might be legit. Is the editor in chief Moe Szyslak?

8. herr doktor bimler says:

“Robots No Longer Considered Harmful.”

That’s what a computer would say, isn’t it?
    This journal is clearly part of the conspiracy to minimise the killer-robot menace.

9. Bishnu says:

Good information. keep it up.

10. Jim says:

Reblogged this on Zwinglius Redivivus and commented:
    So, how is JSTOR any less predatory? Huh?

11. How complete is the ROAD directory of open-access ISSN identifiers? They know nothing about the ISSN (2334-2366 and 233-2374) claimed by JCSIT.

• David says:

This journal is available on WorldCat which simply means there is noting wrong with ISSN. You should know that ROAD is comparatively new initiative of ISSN and will be enriched with the passage of time.

12. Ali Baloch says:

check this out: http://www.conferencealerts.com/show-event?id=141771

Chris Brown is now a contact person for one of OMICS bogus conferences!

WOW!!! can omics get any worse??

13. John Mashey says:

I don’t know about the robots, but the “considered harmful” phrase has a long history in CMPSC, starting with Edsger Dijkstra nearly 50 years ago. He didn’t like GOTO statements.

14. Reinhard says:

I think this is the perfect way to expose these journals. Whenever there is a fee waiver announced I hope many of these nonsense papers are submitted and accepted.

15. […] Another predatory publisher has been reported by Scholarly Open Access this week. The journal named Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology has published bogus articles such as Robots No Longer Considered Harmful. If that has not yet caught your attention, the authors I.P. Freely and Oliver Clothesoff should hint at what Scholarly OA has researched: the site is bogus, there is no real institute behind it and scholars should not submit to it. Have a look at the article and the list of the 52 predatory journals in total the fake institute has released here. […]

16. Nils says:

Perhaps they were trying to copy this “paper of the future”:

17. […] Bimler would like you to know that robots are no longer considered dangerous. Although mine keeps giving me the stinkeye while dragging his robot finger across his neck, so I […]

18. psychprof says:

My concern is for the individuals publishing their work in these journals who got scammed. I know several people this has happened to. In some cases, you can do your research and get tricked because they do steal names and information from legit websites. That happened to me and I have had trouble getting it removed so people keep calling me about the journal! What’s worse is the people who get accepted now have their hands tied and can’t really send their work elsewhere.

19. Dr. Lora Jacobi says:

I recently had a paper accepted in the Journal of Psychology and Behavioral Science– sounds legit, right? It was on a web page that listed social psychology journals. The website indeed looks official — just like any other publisher’s website. I got an email from the Executive Editor, M. Marin Ullah, with a 5 page attachment (looks quite legitimate on the first page. My research was accepted (provided the title and the manuscript ID) and two “peer reviewer reports” were included. Both reviews have vague but very nice things to say and both chose “accept paper in its current form” (this raised suspicion, because reviewers typically include some statement for change (however minor or major) to demonstrate their competence and show that they actually read the paper. Terms and Conditions are provided on page 4; the terms are appropriate including information, such as the schedule of publication, revisions, corresponding author information, galley proofs, etc. The only surprise was the publication fee of 200 USD (highlighted in yellow), with the statement, “Please follow the payment instructions on page 5.” Page five is where the scam is clear. It was highlighted in yellow that the publication fee was to be sent through “Western Union/XpressMoney/IME/Placid Express/Spot Cash.” My heart sank as I continued reading. The recipient would be “SABINA YASMIN” in Dhaka, Bangladesh and would be received as BDT (Bangladeshi Taka). Further instructions were provided to demonstrate proof of payment to the aforementioned person. A statement on the bottom of the directions and payment receipt information: “The payment is to be sent to Bangladesh as the financial unit of the Institute is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The journal is published from New York, New York.” I was disturbed and the red flags could be ignored no more. I found the name of the editor from the website, but he taught at an online university and up reachable. Another US editor was listed and I called her. She said that she submitted a paper, got it accepted, and they asked her to be one the Board of Editors. However, she had serious reservations about the journal and was stepping down. She was suspicious that submitting one article would result in being asked to join the Editorial Board. Frankly, it was too good to be true. She has not been contacted since, but they are able to list professionals with valid credentials as editors. The false use of persons with Ph.D.s in the field lulled me into submitting. I was very familiar with the co-editors college. It’s all just a scam. The acceptance letter states, “Please feel free to contact if you require additional information. I began googling thee journal title but found nothing. I wondered if the site was hacked, so I replied to the first email recognizing the receipt of my paper (sent in the middle of the night on 12/24); I explained my concerns and asked for a response. No response was send. Also, the name of the recipient of the money is the name of a famous singer in Bangladesh. I am thankful that I search for “American Institute for a Policy Development, where I found this site. This behavior is unconscionable. Persons who are named as editors should be contacted because they may be unaware of what is going on. I would have serious ethical concerns for persons who continue to willingly sit on an Editorial Board for these bogus journals.

20. Carole says:

Every time I hear about these sorts of things my faith in the system of peer-reviewed research dwindles

21. krimi zoulikha says:

International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research (IJASR)
    IS THE ABOVE JOURNAL A PREDATORY ONE?

22. Matt Chew says:

The “institute” website has been ‘suspended’. Did anyone manage to download the pdf of the paper? The text can still be found in G**gle’s cache, but not the figures.

23. […] fans of papers by Maggie Simpson and I. P. Freely, your days of chortling may be coming to an […]

24. […] one new development, so far as I can tell, is that the journal’s publisher has published a machine-generated article that was submitted by someone checking to see whether the publ…. The paper’s “authors” were named as I.P. Freely, Oliver Clothesoff, Jacques Strap, Hugh Jazz […]

25. Jadranka says:

Why Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology is not listed among other predatory journals at https://scholarlyoa.com/individual-journals/?

• Because there are so many individual journals, I prefer to list only the publishers whenever possible. In this case, I have this journal’s publisher — American Research Institute for Policy Development — included on my publisher list. When I include the publisher on this list, I recommend that you not send papers to all of the journals from that publisher. Thank you for the question.