Editorial Manager Licensed to OMICS Group

Aries Systems logo

Bad judgment?

Massachusetts-based Aries Systems licenses a product called Editorial Manager to scholarly publishers. This is an online product that helps manage article submission and peer review for journals. Regrettably, one of Aries Systems’ clients is a notorious publisher that victimizes scholarly authors.

Aries Systems licenses Editorial Manager to OMICS Group, one of the most notorious and predatory open-access publishers of all time.

Flush with ill-gotten income, OMICS licenses and flaunts the software to make itself look like a legitimate publisher. Many respected journals and publishers license this product. I believe OMICS is unwarrantedly “buying” respect by licensing this product.

Editorial manager for OMICS Group

Resistance is futile.

Last October, I sent a message to Aries Systems, registering my objection to their doing business with such a malevolent publisher.

I got a clever reply from the firm’s marketing manager, Alison E. O’Connell. She said, in part,

First, please know that we fully understand your concerns. We, ourselves, have thought long and hard about these issues.

Ultimately, we conclude that it would not be appropriate for Aries to stand in judgment of publishers or the merits of their content. Marketplace feedback and monitoring services are effective tools for identifying rogue publishers.

I think this is nonsense and she’s dissembling. In my original email, I didn’t say anything about OMICS Group’s “content.” I mentioned how they rip off and victimize innocent researchers. O’Connell cleverly turned the conversation from one about researcher victimization into one about freedom of the press.

Not a week goes by that I don’t receive an email from a researcher who was victimized by OMICS Group through one of the hundreds of journals it publishes under its many imprints.

OMICS group spams researchers, quickly accepting and publishing the article submissions it receives, then billing the author unexpectedly for thousands of dollars. The publisher does not honor withdrawal requests and instead uses pressure tactics to get authors to pay its excessive author fees.

By licensing its journal management software to OMICS Group, Aries Systems may be playing the role of enabler as OMICS continues to victimize honest researchers.

8 Responses to Editorial Manager Licensed to OMICS Group

1. J.J. says:

Sure OMICS is harmful to legitimate researchers, mostly in developing countries, but it’s not illegal. In that respect, you can’t blame companies that are selling stuff to OMICS (there are surely IT and web hosting companies in India that, indirectly, profit from OMICS ill-gained income.

This company’s objective is to sell its service, not to police academic publishing. I think if academic institutions were paying more attention to the quality of publications instead of falling for the ‘open everything’ hype, we wouldn’t have so much noise in the publishing signal.

2. tekija says:

Money speaks. This is how capitalism functions, in good and bad. Other companies, like tobacco companies, directly victimize people. Aries is likely to get significant revenue from a company with that many journals, so it is good business for them. The money they get will be used to improve the product, which benefits all clients.

3. Alex SL says:

I was also fairly puzzled when I received a spam message in which a predatory journal did not only use Editorial Manager but, most unusually, had already made an account for me before I started a submission process! (Which, of course, I would not think of doing.) It certainly surprised me that they made the financial and administrative effort of getting that software.

But the principle here is clear: companies exist to make money. That includes Aries; if they didn’t sell to Omics, their staff wouldn’t be doing the job they are being paid for. Anybody who thinks that one can have a profit-oriented market economy without things like these happening on a daily basis hasn’t understood what market economy means and how it is supposed to work.

4. Wasit ullah says:

I wounder if OMICS and many other are predatory journals, why they indexed in good databases like Scopus, medline, Pubmed, ISI, EMBASE, Proquest etc. Moreover, why their ISSN are not cancelled or why journals are not suspended. Sometime this blog look like a reflection of a person and the journal and publishing industry like a mafia. No matter what you do some one will submit their paper to them.

5. Proton Motive Force says:

I just got bitten on the bum by OMICS. Worse it was a Masters students paper I published with her. Never again. The way I got caught was I looked down the reference list and decided to send the paper to a journal which we had cited several times. On the journal webpage I quickly scanned it and saw what looked like an ISI ranking: it was not. Every other paper I have published (80) has been in an ISI ranked journal and I know that ranks do not mean much as so I did not look closely at the wording.

6. Jorge says:

As Tekija and Alex SL said, this is capitalism at work. But the free market is double-edged: by selling its content management system to OMICS, Aries can be seriously damaging its brand. If I was an editor browsing the market for a publishing system, I certainly wouldn’t consider the purchase of Aries’ Editorial Manager, out of fear that my would-be authors would confuse or associate the look and feel of my legitimate, reputable journal with those “journals” of predatory OMICS.

7. Mihai Pop says:

I have also reported the OMICS group and other journals to Aries systems. The OMICS group is actually violating the federal CAN-SPAM act – I have repeatedly asked to be removed from their mailing lists and they keep spamming me.

I have also reported these violations to the ISPs used by OMICS and to the FTC, so far without avail. If you are concerned with OMICS practices, please register your own formal complaints – only continued pressure through formal channels will stop OMICS.

8. Scientificspam.net lists editorialmanager.com as a spam-advertised domain affiliated with OMICS since 2/10. It appears frequently in Scientific Spam, and always in an OMICS related context. It is also an anonymized domain registration, which is something only spammers do, generally speaking.

OMICS will not stop spamming. But recipients of scientific spam are welcome to use our list to avoid receiving any.