More Junk Journals from a Bogus Research Center

Center for Global Research Development

Another bogus “Center”

I recently learned of a brand-new predatory publisher launching with twelve broad-scoped journals. Such a launch is routine these days — nothing new about this. What’s unique about this fleet launch, however, is its apparent connection to another notorious open-access publisher.

The new publisher is the Center for Global Research Development, and it appears — from the look and feel of the website — to be a new publishing imprint from the same people who own and operate the American Research Institute for Policy Development. ARIPD claims to be based at 3942 Tulane Avenue in Madison, Wisconsin, though previously it indicated it was based in New York. (It’s possible that the two firms have different owners but use the same website design firm, and the firm’s websites all look the same).

The Center for Global Research Development (CGRD) says it’s based at 116 Saint Nicholas Avenue in New York City. I think both it and ARIPD are really run from Dhaka, Bangladesh, a conclusion supported by the CGRD domain name registration data:

Registrant ID: DI_41584626
Registrant Name: Kazi Arifur Rahman
Registrant Organization: N/A Registrant Street: Uttara, Dhaka
Registrant City: Dhaka Registrant State/Province: Dhaka
Registrant Postal Code: 1230
Registrant Country: BD

Some of the Center for Global Research Development’s journals duplicate titles owned by other publishers. At this time, several of the new journals still lack their own websites, and at least one, as shown in the image below, contains an error.

Center for Global Research Development

These fields are already oversaturated with open-access journals.

Spamming for manuscript submissions

This new publisher is currently spamming for articles, so be on the lookout. One of the spam emails they sent used the names of two professors from Creighton University (one as the sender, one signing the message). I have emailed them to ask if their names were used with their knowledge and permission, but I have not received any reply.

Earlier this year, the first of these two publishers, the American Research Institute for Policy Development published a machine-generated article entitled “Robots No Longer Considered Harmful” It was submitted by someone checking to see whether the publisher would accept and publish a totally bogus article, which it did. Amazingly, the bogus article is still published there; it has not been retracted.

Hat tip: Dr. Magnus Fiskesjö

Appendix: List of Center for Global Research Development journals as of 2015-04-17

1. International Journal Behavioral and Social Science (IJBSS)
  2. International Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (IJAES)
  3. International Journal of Applied and Mathematical Sciences (IJAMS)
  4. International Journal of Arts and Humanities (IJAH)
  5. International Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship Development (IJBED)
  6. International Journal of Education and Human Developments (IJEHD)
  7. International journal of Finance and Risk Management (IJFRM)
  8. International Journal of Management and Economic Development (IJMED)
  9. International Journal of Marketing and Strategic Communication (IJMSC)
  10. International Journal of Political Science and International Relations (IJPSIR)
  11. International Journal of Research in Health and Medical Sciences (IJRHMS)
  12. International Journal of Science and Engineering Technology (IJSET)

14 Responses to More Junk Journals from a Bogus Research Center

1. Ridiculously, CGRD has a “career’s page” and, creepily, they require applicants (or “incumbents” as they call them) to enclose “two copies colors photograph (Passport size)” with their CV!

No thanks…

• Keith Fraser says:

There’s no chance that those applicants’ photos and details might end up attached to the publisher’s spam emails/flyers/conference announcements/editorial board info without their knowledge! None at all!

2. Also, their “Plagiarism” page appears to be a word for word copy of the one from StandRes Journals although it’s possible this is mere self-plagiarism if the two publishers are in fact run by the same person.

3. Keith Fraser says:

These predatory publishers and journals follow something similar to the People’s Republic of Tyranny law (where the more words involving freedom and democracy a country or political party has in its name, the more totalitarian it is – http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PeoplesRepublicOfTyranny ). The more generic, meaningless and broad the title and description of a journal/publisher are, the more likely it is to be a junk one.

4. I have been doing some digging and I think this goes even deeper than Jeffrey suspected. There are at least four publishers that I think are linked, possibly more. I’m still searching.

5. Reblogged this on about "julius jillbert" and commented:
    About the Center for Global Research Development (CGRD) !!!

6. MeiPeng says:

Thanks for the update.

7. John Mashey says:

Jeff: Google Street View is always useful:
    3984 Tulane Ave Madison.WI.

And from one of the many OMICS discussions,

731 Gull Ave, Foster City CA 94404, USA.

8. libdude says:

Does anyone know if this outfit is connected with Global Research & Development Services (GRDS — http://www.grdsweb.org), which organizes an astounding number of conferences in a short period of time, all going by the name “International Conference on Teaching, Education and Learning” (ICTEL)? I’m not finding much solid information about the latter organization and suspect it’s a “pop-up” company that will disappear and/or rename itself after cashing in from presenting 9 conferences in six months.

9. Patrick Farrell says:

I just noticed a spam email about the International Journal of Arts and Humanities (http://ijah.cgrd.org/). The email has the name Beverly Kracher prepended to the address editor.ijah@cgrd.org. Dr. Kracher is said to be the Director of CGRD. But, ironically, she’s the President and Executive Director of Business Ethics Alliance and Robert B. Daugherty Endowed Chair in Business Ethics & Society at Creighton University. Her CV makes no mention of any connection with CGRD and a Google search for pages containing both her name, in quotes, and either CGRD or “Center for Global Research Development” turns up only three pages: two on the CGRD site itself and one with a PDF of an email supposedly from her with the title “spam emails”, on the site …scholarlyoa.files.wordpress.com… In addition, the journal, which appears to be a (purposely?) badly synced continuation of Online International Journal of Arts and Humanities (http://www.onlineresearchjournals.org/IJAH/, in the Online Research Journals fleet), (a) is said to have an ISSN that appears not to actually exist; (b) lacks an editorial management system, as evidenced by the fact that if you click on Submit Paper, you see a page that simply says to email your submission to editor.ijah@cgrd.org; (c) claims that the review process will be completed within 10 days; (d) lists the deadline for submitting an article to the December issue as November 20 (in the same year); and (e) has a prominently displayed counter of page hits that is synced with those on the CGRD pages and the pages of other journals in the CGRD fleet and is provided by Freecounterstat (http://www.freecounterstat.com/instructions-modif.php), which allows page owners to add any number to the actual count.

10. Hello,
    My name is Beverly Kracher. I was recently contacted by a professor who received an email, supposedly sent from me, to submit to the International Journal of Arts and Humanities. He asked if I had sent it or if it was spam. I asked him to forward the email to me. Indeed, it uses my name to solicit manuscripts. More than creepy.

I am not affiliated in any way, shape, or form, with the journal or the Center for Global Research Development. I did not give my permission to use my name.

I can’t help but wonder if this Center is associated with the Center for Promoting Ideas that publishes the International Journal of Business and Social Sciences. IJBS website lists me as an editor. I have contacted them numerous times asking them to take my name off their website and disassociating me from their work. I have never hear back from them. They continue to use my name on their website.

In a previous post, Dr. Fiskesjo stated that he reached out to me about this issue and I did not respond. Forgive me for missing that email. I don’t find it in my email inbox.

Honestly, I’m at a loss for knowing what to do about these two situations. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

bev

11. Dan says:

So disappointing! These clowns got me for $160 apparently! I knew something was fishy when they told me to send the publishing payment to bangledesh! On my “reviewers” report, these cons even gave me feedback on my paper and the whole 9– Someone thought of the WORKS when running this scheme! RUN! RUN! RUN! I’m contacting the FBI– this is pure DISGUSTING and outright THEFT!

12. mario zaino says:

I submitted a manuscript as well. They are asking for $160.00 as well. I have e mailed the agent and have not received and reply.
    MZ