Two open-access journals — each titled Amphibian & Reptile Conservation — both claim to be the official organ of an organization also called Amphibian & Reptile Conservation. The split is the apparent result of a bitter academic “divorce.” Both journals use strong language to warn readers about the other one.

Here is a description of each of the two journals:

1. Amphibian & Reptile Conservation = http://www.redlist-arc.org/

This instance of the journal appears to be edited by Dr. Robert K. Browne, who is listed as the organization’s chairperson. He is the author or co-author of numerous scholarly articles on various aspects of herpetology. Browne is based in Belize.

The journal does not list an ISSN, at least not that I saw. It prominently displays the CC BY NC ND license at the bottom of its main page but, perhaps contradicting the license, also states, “Subject to authors copyright, deposition in public libraries or on websites without permission is prohibited.”

The journal provides this warning about the other journal:

NOTIFICATION: This website and its affiliates are the official Internet website portals for the Amphibian and Reptile Conservation journal and our global conservation network. We own all copyright, exclusive of authors copyright, produced by any proxy fraudulently presenting as Amphibian and Reptile Conservation including the fraudulent Amphibian & Reptile Conservation journal http://www.amphibian-reptile-conservation.org as published by the “Amphibian and Reptile Conservation organisation” as an unspecified group led by Craig Hassipakis. Craig Hassipakis has a long and dismal history of fraudulent activities, including recently committing perjury in an attack on our global conservation network, as we document see Internet Fraud.

The journal has an editorial board page, but I see no names listed there. It claims to use the platinum open-access model, free to readers and free to authors.

1. Amphibian & Reptile Conservation = http://amphibian-reptile-conservation.org/index.html

This instance of the journal has two ISSNs (print and online) and reports that it is published in the United States, but it doesn’t say exactly where (though the copyright transfer form says Modesto, California). The journal says that it was founded by Craig Hassapakis, and he appears to lead this organization.

This journal also provides an indirect warning about the other one but uses more measured and professional (and less personal) language:

In addition, if an article or any of our content appears on another website and claims to be Amphibian & Reptile Conservation, Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, or ARC, it is fraudulent and in violation of international law. Our contributions only appear on this website, the official and authorized website for the journal Amphibian & Reptile Conservation (ISSN: 1083-446X; eISSN: 1525-9153; Founded: 1996; Published in the USA; Editor: arc.publisher@gmail.com) to be considered legitimate, and must bear our trademark …

The journal lists an editorial board that includes respected researchers in the field. I am unclear if authors are charged any publishing fees and wish the journal were more transparent about this. The journal requires that authors sign over copyright but then apparently releases the articles under a Creative Commons license, a non-standard yet legal practice. More confusingly, the articles bear copyright statements from the authors — how can they hold copyright if they must transfer it to the publisher?

Analysis

This case was originally reported to me as a journal hijacking, but I don’t think this is the case. Instead, as I indicated, I think it is the result of an academic split, a bitter and unfortunate disagreement between two researchers. Judging from this 2011-2012 issue of the journal (pictured below), the two were still collaborating at that time, for their names appear together on the cover:

Amphibian and Reptile Conservation

The good old days.

Academic divorces can be brutal and can go on for years. Which of these two journals and organizations is the legitimate one? Or are they both problematic?

Hat tip: Edris Merufinia

42 Responses to Two OA Journals Share the Same Title and Each Claims the Other is Not Legitimate

1. There’s only one way to settle this. Each of the editors picks their favorite reptile or amphibian, and then the two champions must fight to the death. Last creature standing wins.

2. Panesh Minu says:

Dear Bell,

could you please inform me what the following Journal is trying to say?

Is it listed in ISI Web of Science or not?

• They are trying to tell you they want your money.
      The journal does not have an ISI impct factor. It has calculated its own citation metrics using Google Scholar. This is like cheating. Google Scholar does not screen for quality and is easily gamed.

3. Awadhesh says:

Dear Bell,
    Could you please scan the following journals – appear to be of dubious credentials:-

Regards
    Awadhesh

• Awadhesh, I had not heard of these journals before. I agree with your opinion about them and have added them both to my list. They appear to be dead or dying — in both cases the latest issue I found was from 2014. The second one boasts fake impact factors. Thank you for alerting me to these low-quality journals.

4. Keith Fraser says:

This just reminds me of the Judean People’s Front and the People’s Front of Judea from Monty Python’s Life of Brian…

5. Ivana says:

As I can see, both journals use the same ISSN.

6. Non-amphibian says:

Here is “the journal’s” entry in the Directory of open-access journals:

It points to the website of Hassapakis, the journal that claims to have been established in 1996.

This is not proof for anything, really, just another piece of the puzzle.

Maybe those two journals should engage in conversation instead of conservation for a little while.

7. Kitty says:

*starts chanting “Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!”*

8. Ari says:

Dear Bell,

I am new in this concept of questionable reviews, could you tell if this journal is clean?

Thank you very much!

• I have this journal’s publisher, Journal Issues, included on my list and recommend that you not submit any papers to any of its journals. Instead, I recommend that you find a stronger publisher.

• Ari says:

Dear Jeffrey Beall, I received an invitation to review a manuscript from this journal. I won’t reply. Thank a lot!! Have a nice day!

9. Breck Bartholomew says:

Amphibian & Reptile Conservation has an odd history. It was founded by Craig Hassapakis in the 1990s. It took years to publish each issue and Craig resorted to various things to get money to publish the journal. It has always been a work of devotion for him and I doubt he ever made any money on it. He has pissed some people off by making promises he cannot keep – although his intentions are good.

At some point Robert Browne bought into the journal and put up some money to publish it. Browne also published at least one of his own papers in it, which was later found to be somewhat scandalous. Apparently Browne had stolen data from other researchers and fabricated his field work regarding a rare salamander in Iran. I think this is part of the reason Browne has moved jobs and eventually landed in Belize. (this paper and comments about it can be found at: http://www.zenscientist.com/index.php/filedrawer/Open-Access-Journals/Amphibian–and–Reptile-Conservation/Al-Sheikhly-et-al.-2013-ARC-6(4)-42-49./)

At some point after this scandal (and probably because of it) Hassapakis tried to distance himself from Browne. Browne feels he bought the journal with his cash input, but there was never anything except a verbal agreement. I don’t know Browne, but I am acquainted with Hassapakis and I cannot see him selling the journal. It has been his baby since he founded it.

Neither has been particularly good at making everything completely upfront, but Hassapakis is the one that has made an effort to make sure the journal remains viable and continues to publish. Hassapakis also has found reviewers and editors for the journal – I think his efforts has stepped up since the split with Browne.

Browne has threatened people associated with Hassapakis, although when he has been asked for proof that he owns the journal he normally ceases communication.

All in all it is a bit of a mess, but the journal run by Hassapakis is the one that is recognized by the herpetological community.
    Browne has done little to create a viable journal, or publish reputable papers. His reputation has also been severely damaged after his fraudulent paper on the Iranian Salamander.

• Breck–good analysis. Do you know if either holds the trademark? If so, dispute over. We are dealing with this now, since there is another “The Biodiversity Group” that has sprung up in the UK.

10. To help clear the record, Robert K. Browne was removed from any association with the ARC journal (amphibian-reptile-conservation.org) by official vote of the ARC Board of Directors (http://amphibian-reptile-conservation.org/editors.html) on July 31, 2015 2013 for unethical breaches concerning his duties as an editor of the journal. He no longer has any official status concerning ARC but does continue to make illegitimate claims which are false and should be disregarded. Craig Hassapakis, arc.publisher@gmail.com; Publisher & Editor, Amphibian & Reptile Conservation, Editor, FrogLog & member of the IUCN SSC Amphibian Specialist Group (ASG) & Group Facilitator, Genome Resources Working Group (ASG/GRWG).

• prollo says:

Wow, that comment is coming from the future:
      Browne will be removed on July 31, 2015?

• Malcolm McCallum, Ph.D. says:

Craig seems like an honest guy, I have never known him to be dishonest, and I can’t imagine him establishing a publishing scam. I dont now the other party (at least I don”t think I do).

• On this very web page there are numerous lies by Craig Hassipakis including that there was never any board of directors and the vote was made by Craig and his friend Howard Clark. I have never made any ethical breaches, and all our claims are legitimate and documented.

To make the point clear of Craig’s pathological lying I refer to his post on this page saying that “Robert’s unscrupulous behaviors have plagued his career in science having been fired from every position he has ever held: Memphis Zoo, Amphiban ARK, Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp, and ARC. When we were communicating (we don’t now) he explained to me personally that the primary reason he moved to Belize was to be out of the reach of the law!”

I have never been fired from a job in my life.

As I have stated below I left Memphis Zoo on my own choice and in fact stayed and worked in the zoo laboratory 6 months over my employment period to finish important conservation projects. My supervisor Dr. Andy Kouba drove me to the airport, gave me a nice lunch where we discussed future work together.

I were held in employment for 6 months at Antwerp Zoo after my contract had expired on supplementary funds. I published many articles while at the zoo and were highly regarded.

My work for the Amphibian Ark (AArk) was to write the “Amphibian Research Guide for Zoos’ which is still a fundamental document. and on their website.

In respect to my moving to Belize it was and is to establish a sustainability project. Craig Hassipakis was fully supportive of the ARC being published from Belize at our original and legitimate website with myself as publisher as stated on the inside cover of the Last issue. Special Mexico Issue, before Craig established his highjacker journal.

In fact Caig Hassipakis and Howard Clark co-authored a Froglog article with me that states quite clearly that the ARC is based in Belize at my sustainability facility

Craig’s fraudulent behaviours seem to thrive on the jingoistic ignorance of his supporter, where he seems as contemptuous of Belize as he is of the Middle East. In fact Belize has strict British based laws regarding fraud and defamation unlike the USA where in practice just about anything seems to be tolerated. In addition in Belize foreign nationals are highly scrutinized by both Interpol and the Belizean police. Craig would criminally charged in Belize and sent back to the USA.

We have full documentation for all our claims of highjacking, perjury, and defamation by Craig.

Dr. Mc Callum I suggest that you let the facts sway your opinions and not whether someone is a good friend. You may also better choose your friend in the future.

• See our new posts of email strings proving with more than ample evidence the [deleted] of Craig Hassipakis in respect to the above. http://www.redlist-arc.org/ARC_-journal_legal_PDFs.html

11. Koushik Pal says:

Sir, have you checked this journal out available at http://www.impactjournals.us ? I think they deserve to be on your list.

12. Please note that Omar F. Al-Sheikhly is the first author of the “fraudulent paper on the Iranian Salamander”. This paper is retracted ( http://amphibian-reptile-conservation.org/archive.html ). The PDF can be downloaded for free. It is very clearly indicated on the PDF that this paper is retracted.
    Omar F. Al-Sheikhly is as well the first author of a 2013 paper in a Taylor & Francis journal (Zoology in the Middle East) on the breeding biology of the Basra Reed Warbler. Quite a few highly respected ornithologists have serious doubts on the veracity of significant parts of the data which are presented in this paper.
    See http://www.britishbirds.co.uk/article/basrareedwarblergate/ and see
    http://www.osme.org/content/unsubstantiated-claims-concerning-breeding-biology-basra-reed-warbler-acrocephalus-griseldis (with many comments).
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09397140.2013.810870?src=recsys (the paper in question, published in 2013).
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09397140.2015.1023424?src=recsys (a comment by Porter et al, published in 2015).

13. Renowned Iran Country Researcher and Author Rejects Illegitimate Journal

Dr. Steven C. Anderson author of “The Lizards of Iran” and preeminent Iran country researcher makes historic stand against Robert Browne’s ARC journal

Stockton, California, USA, November 7, 2014: It is not often that famous researchers and authors make bold public statements, unless there is good reason to. Case in point: Dr. Steven C. Anderson, Professor of Emeritus, Department of Biology, University of Pacific, Stockton, California, USA and author of The Lizards of Iran (Published by the Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles [SSAR]: the largest and most respected herpetology society in the world) has released the following statement on Facebook to Iranian researchers and herpetologists worldwide:

“To all Iranian herpetology researchers: I wish to call your attention to a matter concerning Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (ARC). Currently two separate journals are being published under the ARC title (Amphibian & Reptile Conservation [the original journal] and Amphibian and Reptile Conservation [Robert Browne’s ARC). The legitimate ARC was originally founded by Craig Hassapakis in 1996. I encouraged Craig from the start as he struggled on his own to establish a quality journal and I therefore helped him by volunteering to be the guest editor for the Iran issue, during which time Robert Browne entered the picture. Shortly thereafter, the two disassociated with each other, and Browne began publishing his version of ARC separately from the original ARC (which continues publication today under its original publisher Craig Hassapakis at: amphibian-reptile-conservation.org). To add to the confusion, and to avoid a lawsuit (I suppose) Browne now calls his publication ARC Middle East and Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (redlist-ARC.org). As for my part, I am giving notice that I will not review, nor will I cite papers in this latter publication, which I consider illegitimate.” –

—Steven C. Anderson

14. I would like to thank Breck Bartholomew for his excellent work in making public available the background information why the paper on salamanders in Iraq (not in Iran) with Robert K. Browne as last author got retracted very soon after it was published. Please note that Robert K. Browne was at that moment closely associated to the journal in which this retracted paper was published.
    Craig Hassapakis deserves much credit for his brave behaviour and for his immediate actions.
    The rectracted paper contained field data on the occurrence of salamanders in Iraq collected by PhD student Elnaz Najafi-Majd of the Ege University (Turkey). This is not indicated in the retracted paper. The retracted paper also doesn’t refer to “Najafi-Majd E, Kaya U. 2013. Rediscovery of the Lake Urmia newt, Neurergus crocatus Cope, 1862 (Caudata: Salamandridae) in northwestern Iran after 150 years. Amphibian and Reptile Conservation 6(4):36-41(e59)”. This paper lists “Received: 19 October 2012, Accepted: 26 December 2012, Published: 05 April 2013”.
    Please note that Robert K. Browne was at that time closely associated to the journal “Amphibian and Reptile Conservation”. I fail to understand why he might thus not be aware of this ongoing research of PhD student Elnaz Najafi-Majd. The retracted paper lists: “Received: 14 May 2013, Accepted: 16 June 2013, Published: 15 July 2013”.
    It is very unethical to publish field data (on the occurrence of salamanders from a particular area) without proper credits to the people who have collected these field data. It is even worse when these field data are part of an ongoing PhD project. So it was an excellent action of Craig Hassapakis that this paper was retracted very quickly after it was published.
    It seems to me that Robert K. Browne did not accept that his paper got retracted and it seems to me that Robert K. Browne did not accept that he was not anymore affilated to the journal “Amphibian and Reptile Conservation”.
    It is indeed a very weird situation of a retracted paper where the last author does not accept that his paper got retracted and where this author tries to persuade the rest of the world that his paper is not retracted.
    The website of Robert K. Browne mentions only his own name, together with a long list of papers (co)authored by him. I am unable to find details on his PhD thesis (subject, title, when and where he got his PhD). Anyone any idea?

15. At the time Robert K. Browne was the acting editor and assigned to conduct peer-reviewers for the retracted paper which got published without me suspecting anything was wrong. Elnaz Najafi-Majd is a friend of mine and as soon as I found out about the stolen data the paper was immediately retracted and Robert disassociated from ARC by an official vote of the Board of Directors. To cause me grieve I assume Robert has been destructive to ARC in his illegitimate claims and false allegations. Robert’s causing problems can be simply explained as a past disgruntled associate of the journal having got caught for who he truly is: unethical and dishonest.

16. […] [open access] journals share the same title, and each claims the other is not legitimate,” reports Jeffrey […]

17. May 18, 2015

To: Middle Eastern Herpetologist and Science Communities in general worldwide

The Office of Policy Making and Planning for Higher Education (http://www.msrt.ir/fa/rppc/pages/Home.aspx), associated with the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology of Iran has released (http://www.msrt.ir/fa/rppc/Pages/Files/InvalidForeignPublications.aspx) its annual assessment of scientific journals on 13 May 2015. In this new assessment there are 221 journals listed as “low quality” (Black List Journals) because of their rapid non-peer review publishing process with little or no specialized editorial board oversight. There is also a list of eleven forged journals (Fake & Hijacked Journals) that have targeted legitimate journals. Dr. Sharifi director of the Office of Policy Making and Planning for Higher Education in an announcement to all Iranian universities has advised authorities to publicize the “Black List” and “Fake & Hijacked” journals to the Iranian scientists and encourage postgraduate students and academic staff not to submit articles to these journals since they will not be recognized by the government of Iran especially for granting purposes and/or academic advancement.

According to this announcement Amphibian & Reptile Conservation (http://amphibian-reptile-conservation.org/index.html), founded by Craig Hassapakis (ISSN: 1083-446X; eISSN: 1525-9153), has been hijacked by Robert K. Browne’s journal under the title Amphibian and Reptile Conservation on his personal website at: redlist-arc.org and his other website, Middle East Chapter (www.redlist-arcme.org). Robert K. Browne and his Iranian counterpart (Nasrullah Rastegar Poyani) have absolutely no connection and/or association with the official journal Amphibian & Reptile Conservation at: amphibian-reptile-conservation.org.

The herpetology community in Iran and surrounding Middle Eastern area are growing rapidly and deserve genuine and honest publishing agencies to broadcast their findings. Now that the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology of the country of Iran has courageously made a distinction between the legitimate and false Amphibian and Reptile Conservation I invite all Iranian herpetologist to send their articles to the official, legitimate, and recognized Amphibian & Reptile Conservation at: amphibian-reptile-conservation.org.

=====================================================
    Craig Hassapakis, arc.publisher@gmail.com
    Publisher & Editor, Amphibian & Reptile Conservation,
    Editor, FrogLog & member of the IUCN SSC Amphibian
    Specialist Group (ASG) & Group Facilitator, Genome
    Resources Working Group (ASG/GRWG)
    =====================================================

P.S. For original documents and official letters from the Iranian government you can contact me directly.

18. I make the following notes in regard to parts of the above discussion. I will refer to the recent Iranian listing in a later post as it is under review at the moment.

1. Craig Hassipakis is not a science professional and has never published a scientific article.

2. As a co-owner and publisher of Amphibian and Reptile conservation journal I receive an email from Craig Hassipakis “dissociating” me from the journal. The email was present by Craig and Howard Clark as the ARC board. If fact there was a large ARC board at the time and they were not consulted.

The reason was that I were a co-author on a simple report of new sites for a salamander. Craig edited the article and Howard Clark produced it. At the time the journal had a policy of short non-hypothesis based reports being published by our editors.

In respect to my part, co-authors do not choose other co-authors and as far as the student was concerned Elnaz was recommended by me to go on a visit to Iraq with the primary author, Omar Alsheikhly, and brought here father along for the ride. The sites were mostly previously known to Omar Sharifi. So what right did she have to be co-author.

2. Here you can see who did what for the journal on the last volume before Craigs fraudulant attempt to take the journal. see inside cover http://www.redlist-arc.org/Mexico-Issue.html

3. After his “disassociation” of me, Craig Hassipakis then began to try me in the “court of public” , Craig’s text, opinion through the Internet. He made inaccurate and defamatory posts, send emails tp persons asking for personal details of me, and sent backmails to to individuals and institutions

4. In the circumstances of a dissolved partnership and Craig’s behavior, and considering my ownership, input of setting up the whole new Ejournal and paying for it, and the moral premise of the journal to be community based, I continued with the journal and gave ownership to the journals community.

5. Since then Craig has continued an increasingly viscous and defamatory Internet based campaign against me personally.

7. The following paragraph from Craig’s earlier post shows the insidious and threatening approach of Craig, how he openly lies, and a window into his devious and dark character very clearly.

“Robert received his education at: Newcastle University, Australia in his 40’s having spent his early life as a businessman. Robert’s unscrupulous behaviors have plagued his career in science having been fired from every position he has ever held: Memphis Zoo, Amphiban ARK, Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp, and ARC. When we were communicating (we don’t now) he explained to me personally that the primary reason he moved to Belize was to be out of the reach of the law!”

I have never been fired from any of the above mentioned jobs.

8. It is very sad that Craig has attacked our extraordinarily successful program for Critically Endangered salamanders in Iran and Iraq through the Iranian DOE. We are working on this problem and I will report on this blog.

9. Breck Bartholomew, on an earlier post supports Craig, even though he was informed at the time of Craig and Howard Clarks unrepresentative and disingenuous original attach on me to try to take the journal.

10. I have tirelessly worked for amphibian conservation both with publications and in practice with some of the globally most endangered and iconic species and am continuing to do so. Craig do not appear to have done anything much constructive at all, and certainly has done a lot of damage.

My biography and publications are here

If you really want to help amphibian and reptile conservation join our membership group.

19. UP-TO-DATE REPORT: As of today (8-11-2015) Robert’s personal website at: http://www.redlist-arc.org has been suspended for around two weeks now for unknown reasons. Since being removed from ARC by a vote of the ARC Board of Directors (amphibian-reptile-conservation.org) July 31, 2013 Robert has only published 4 papers to ARC’s 28 (8 of those being new species descriptions)! ARC wishes Robert the best of luck in his legitimate endeavors but does not support his behaviors.

20. Amphibian & Reptile Conservation continues to publish significant papers that advance our knowledge of amphibians and reptiles species worldwide:

NEW MAJOR PAPER PUBLISHED ON THE CONSERVATION REASSESSMENT OF AMPHIBIANS AND REPTILES OF CENTRAL AMERICA.

CITATION: Johnson JD, Mata-Silva V, Wilson LD. 2015. A conservation reassessment of the Central American herpetofauna based on the EVS measure. Amphibian & Reptile Conservation 9(2): 1–94 (e100).

REF: http://amphibian-reptile-conservation.org/pdfs/Volume/Vol_9_no_2/ARC_9_2_%5BGeneral_Section%5D_1-94_e100_high_res.pdf

21. CURRENT UPDATE: Again (8-11-2015 and now also 12-21-2015), Robert’s personal website (see above post) has been suspended for unknown reasons. The official ARC at: amphibian-reptile-conservation.org has now published about 40 papers at the close of 2015 and since permanently disassociating with Robert K. Browne July 31, 2013. Again, we wish Robert all the best in his “legitimate” endeavors and we will continue to publish a high quality science journal that adheres to a strict ethical code of conduct.

22. […] appear on the same cover of a 2011-2012 issue of the journal, as librarian Jeffrey Beall noted in a blog post published last year. But since then, there seems to have been an “academic split” between the two (as defined by […]

23. UVU faculty says:

I am a faculty member at Utah Valley University, and the human resources office states that there is no record of Craig Hassipakis’s employment at the university. His LinkedIn page does not say he has ever been a student. I’m not clear why he uses my institution as an affiliation on his journal’s web page.

24. In reference to the use of the ASG/ASA salutation, in earlier posts, to give Craig credibility on this site the ASG/ASA responded as below, clearly admonishing Craigs fraudulent use of their organisation. Letter date 11/12/2015

Dear Dr. Browne,

In response to your letter dated 27th November 2015, we (Amphibian Specialist Group (ASG) Secretariat)  had a Skype conversation with Mr. Craig Hassapakis on November 30th, 2015 and asked him not to use  his Amphibian Specialist Group (ASG) signature in any communications that are outside of the scope of  his duties for the ASG. As Co‐Chairs of the ASG, we reserve the right to determine the best course of  action, and we are satisfied that Mr. Hassapakis has understood what has been requested of him. We  will take appropriate action should this issue occur again.