OMICS Group Now Charging for Article Withdrawals

Withdrawal fee

Legitimate scholarly publishers do not charge withdrawal fees.

Hyderabad, India-based OMICS Group has found a new and likely lucrative revenue source — charging authors to withdraw their submissions to the publisher’s many journals.

OMICS Group regularly sends out millions of spam emails to thousands of researchers. In its spam, it generally only mentions the particular journal title the spam email is soliciting for, avoiding mentioning the now stigmatized name of the publisher.

This strategy is — unfortunately — often successful, for researchers are busy and often lack time to check the publisher’s legitimacy. Moreover, OMICS Group has many journal titles that are very similar or close to the titles of reputable journals.

Here is a copy of a recent email from OMICS Group in response to a researcher requesting withdrawal:

From: Joseph G [mailto:authorproof-openaccess@omicsonline.com]
Sent: Thursday, 19 March 2015 7:51 PM
To: [Redacted
Subject: [Redacted]_Publication Withdrawal
Importance: High

Dear Dr. [Redacted],

Greetings from OMICS International !!!

We discussed with our management and humbly inform you that we agreed to withdraw your article.

We processed your article starting from quality Peer review process to QC, to xml and pdf conversion due to which the minimum processing fee should be paid.

You are requested to pay the minimum processing charges of $419.

We will withdraw your article as soon as possible.

Thanks & regards

Joseph G

OMICS International

Charging a withdrawal fee is non-standard in the scholarly publishing industry. Sometimes, authors find mistakes in their works after submission and need to withdraw the paper to correct them before submitting the paper again.

I think such a fee is unethical, and it disincentivizes the making of corrections to the article.

If you submit an article to a publisher in response to a spam email you receive, please verify the publisher. If the publisher is OMICS Group or one of its many brands, I strongly advise you not to submit your work.

36 Responses to OMICS Group Now Charging for Article Withdrawals

1. Kees Stigter says:

I was very recently approached by this OMICS Group through “Linked”, to be connected with them!

I have of course ignored this request but this is even worse than SPAM e-mail.

Prof. Kees Stigter, Agromet Vision, Netherlands, Indonesia, Africa

2. Rao Kowtha says:

If indeed the article is already published or in press, the publisher has a grouse. But this does not seem to be the case. The best medicine for such people is to tell them “Go ahead. Publish but I am not paying. But I formally state here is that I have withdrawn but you have still published.” I do not think they will pursue any further action. Since such journals are not indexed nor has the author given express consent to publish, the author is free to seek publication of a worthy article in a legit journal.

• I disagree. It still counts as duplicate submission if the author submits a paper to a journal and the article has been previously published, even if that earlier publishing is in a predatory journal.

• antoine says:

I think Google Scholar must stop indexing any OMICS journal anyway to do justice. This alone left only illegitimate indexing ‘bodies’ on OMICS’ side.

• Rao Kowtha says:

It goes back to the age old thing: read the article even if indexed for evaluation purposes. I know this is somewhat unrealistic to expect in all places but very difficult to sort out even for Google to immediately sort out the legit from non-legit. Takes time and before that, damage is done.

3. AlexH says:

Whats next? They will put our names in plagiarized/lifted etc. papers and will blackmail us to pay to be removed?

• Matthew P says:

Don’t give them ideas.

• MC says:

They’re only one step away; they already post pictures and names of well-known or at least established (often at American and European universities) researchers to their ‘editorial board’ and ‘list of peer reviewers’. The only thing preventing them from charging those people to have their information taken down is that they may fear crossing the line to blackmail and extortion (relative terms here–they already do extortion pretty well in other contexts)

4. Richard says:

These direct marketing techniques are being taught in BBA and MBA marketing/management etc. I think you should talk to educational authorities to exclude these subjects from curricula. Just blogging here about email/social network marketing is useless. Many marketing companies are providing these services here in US. Why don’t you talk to government to take action against them?

5. EDoug says:

How exactly can they enforce this?

What if you just don’t pay? What are they going to do, not publish it?

I can’t see them having any luck in court with their charges

• MC says:

You don’t pay = they will publish it, and by now you’ve realised that you were foolish and submitted to a joke/fake/predatory journal, whichmakes you look like you don’t know what you’re doing, and so you want it removed, so you have to pay the fee….
      No one is going to go to court with Omics over this; the price is low enough that someone would rather pay it and hope it’s over for good than try to take Omics to court (in India?) and charge them.

6. […] Also check out the Mulford Library Guide – Services & Resources for Health Science Faculty(Publishing). From the 28 May 2015 post at  Scholarly Open Access , OMICS Group Now Charging for Article Withdrawals […]

7. Debabrata says:

Well at the out set I would state that I have nothing for OMICS. As a scientific author I steer clear of them. But what surprises me is the targeted vindictive attitude of this person towards OA publishers. So to open his white eyes here is a letter that our group received from one of his darlings, Elsevier. P.S. I have removed our names for obvious reasons. And if you have the courage please post this:

Thank you for submitting your paper “___” to Food Chemistry.I have read your manuscript and have found that unfortunately it does not fit within the scope of in Food Chemistry. As such your manuscript has been rejected for publication in our journal. ??

However, I do feel that your paper has merit and may be considered suitable for publication in Heliyon – Elsevier’s multidisciplinary open access journal. I suggest that you take advantage of the article transfer service that provides you with the option of transferring your manuscript files and details directly to Heliyon.

Heliyon accepts technically and ethically sound papers across all research disciplines, regardless of scope or perceived impact. Heliyon’s expert editorial team will endeavour to get you a decision quickly, and, if accepted, will aim to publish your paper online within 72 hours. Once online, readers will have immediate and permanent access to your content. Using far-reaching content channels, Heliyon focuses on ensuring authors don’t miss an opportunity to share, collaborate, and be discovered by their research community, colleagues, and future collaborators. The article publishing charge that supports publication in Heliyon is $1,250, plus VAT or local taxes where applicable.

__, Editorial Assistant for Heliyon, will reach out to you within the next few days to discuss how she can help facilitate the transfer of your article to the Heliyon editorial system. While this option does not necessarily guarantee that your paper will be published in Heliyon, it is our hope that this arrangement will help you find a suitable journal for your research and expedite the publication for your paper.

Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to consider your work.

Yours sincerely,

Managing Editor
    Managing Editor
    Food Chemistry

So if this is not predatory then what is Mr. White Guy?

8. Debabrata says:

Sure suggesting another journal is a common practice and that is what enriches science. But suggesting it specifically to an open access journal is a straight way to get money out of the author. So its no way different from what your listed OA s do. Its strange that while Harvard University is up in arms against the likes of Elsevier and Springer, your website is silent about it. Look, I used to be a great fan of yours and still do check your list before sending a paper out. But the targetted propaganda that you have started off late has actually saddened me and if you keep an eye open then you will find increasing number of scientists are pointing it out to you. All said and done I will actually never publish in Omics. All I can request you is to be broad on who you target. Hope you understand my point.

9. The latest on OMICS – a broadcast all about their scams on ABC national radio in Australia (with a quote from Jeffrey Beall). http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/predatory-publishers-criticised-unethical-unprincipled-tactics/6656122#transcript. You should also be able to listen to the audio unless it is blocked to certain countries : http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/predatory-publishers-criticised-unethical-unprincipled-tactics/6656122

10. D Web says:

OMICS just spammed me to submit to “Journal of Food & Nutritional Disorders (ISSN: 2324-9323)” because of my “eminence in the area.” I guess because I like food?

11. GU says:

I have submitted on manuscript recently to OMICS publishing group not nowing that it is a predatory journal . when i have got this information from internet and asking them to withdraw publication via their contact e mail, no one is responding and the status of the manuscript id
    ‘revise”. can i submit to other journal before hearing their decision?

• You need to tell them that you want to withdraw the submission, and hopefully, get a confirmation from them.
      This publisher is known to charge authors to withdraw papers.

• Kiyoshi K says:

I am terribly sorry for bothering you during a busy time. Please give me some advice. Recently, I received an invitation email from OMICS, and my two manuscripts was accepted. I knew “Beall’s List” when 2nd manuscript was “under review”, and I requested the retraction. However, they do not accept my demand. Should I ignore the payment of publication fee from now on?

• OMICS International is horrible. They quickly accept submitted manuscripts and then send an invoice to the authors. If the author request withdrawal, they have a fee for that also. Sometimes authors do not pay, and I know of no cases where OMICS started legal action against the authors. OMICS is based in Hyderabad, India and to my knowledge, they have not initiated legal action outside of India.

• Kiyoshi K says:

Daer Dr. Beall,

I offer my deepest thanks. I will ignore their demand from now on.
        I’m considering expanding “Beall’s List”.
        Unfortunately, I have another issue. I have become the editorial board member after the invitation from OMICS. I requested the resign. However, they do not accept my demand at present.

Best regards,

Kiyoshi Kikuchi

• This publisher often refuses to remove names from its editorial boards, even after repeated requests. It is difficult or impossible to get them to take action. There is no easy solution.

• Kiyoshi K says:

Thank you so much for your help. Though they accepted my request, they demanded payment of $1500 per article(total $3000) as the withdraw charges. On OMICS website, the withdraw charge is “30% of the original article processing fee”. On the website, the processing fee is differ depending on the day. The cost is sometimes 1519 USD, and it is sometimes 3619 USD. They told me a ridiculous thing such as your machine problem. Because my articles are short review (not original research articles), I do not need to withdraw two articles. Anyway, I do not want to pay them money. Is this understanding mistaken? I think that OMICS is a fraud journal. Please allow me to hear your opinion.

• I agree with you. I think your decision not to pay them any money is a good decision.

• Kiyoshi K says:

Your help is very reassuring to me. I sincerely would like to give my gratitude for your support.

12. Dante says:

I submitted a manuscript to one of the omics journals. Before it was published I received an invoice and an email notifying me I had 48 hours to make any changes before publication. At this point, I asked them to withdraw the article. They proceeded to publish the article anyway, and assign a doi as I later discovered when they sent me another email with an invoice and the doi.
    I referred them back to the fact that I had asked them to withdraw before they had published, and they are conveniently ignoring that fact. Of course they sent me another invoice with a withdrawal fee.
    I am at a loss of what to do because my aticle is now freely available.

13. Julia says:

I was also approached by OMICS via LinkedIn a few months ago, regarding “The Journal of Marine Science and Development”, by a “Glory Har”. I didn’t yet know of Beall’s list or the existence of predatory journals. Fortunately, I did look through their website. At first published articles and editorial board seemed okay. But then I found the author submission tab, and saw that they charged $900 to authors (which of course was not mentioned in original message — as described by Jeff in so many previous posts). I therefore wrote back and said that I was not interested. After a reply which tried to convince me of the legitimacy of the fee and discussed a possible discount, I was very clear that I would not pay anything to publish with them. At that point she offered to lower the fee to $100! I still declined, at which point she asked me to serve on their editorial board (!). I stopped replying after that, despite her messaging me a couple more times. It appears that their empire has grown considerably since some of the earlier posts, with an insanely long list of titles. Having since read about their practices, I realize what a bullet I dodged by carefully reviewing their website. I’m very sorry to hear about all the researchers etc (possibly 10,000 or more of them?!) that have been victimized by this publisher. He has certainly found a formula which brings him millions of dollars in income at the cost of honest students and academics.

14. Dr su says:

What did you do after that? I faced a similar situation.

15. Kiyoshi K says:

OMICS is really horrible. Your advices are very reassuring to me.I appreciate your continued support.

16. […] One conference organiser in this ‘real but somewhat phony’ category (an Indian publishing house) responded to Beall’s blog by threatening to sue him for 1 billion dollars in damages. However, it never went to court. Later, the same publishing house took to charging scholars a fee of 419 USD if they pulled their manuscript…. […]