There is no slowdown in the creation and launching of new open-access journals and publishers. Here I briefly describe the recent launches of two questionable open-access publishers — Cresco Online Publishing (36 journals) and Juniper Publishers (36 journals).
First, Juniper Publishers. This publisher lists the following two addresses:
Juniper Publishing Group
Inext Ventures Inc.
3200 E Guasti Road #100
Ontario, CA 91761
Al Fardan building no 2
7th Floor, Flat no: 702
Land mark: Al Ghubaiba busstation
Burdubai, Dubai, UAE
The first address is that of a company called Mailbox Plus Virtual Office, a mail forwarding service. The strategy here is to make the publisher appear U.S.-based, when in fact it is not.
I think Juniper’s real address is the one in Dubai. This address is likely that of an apartment, meaning thirty-six science journals are being published by one man out of a flat in Dubai.
When I examined this publisher, no editorial boards were established, yet the publisher was accepting article submissions.
In fact, I learned about Juniper because someone forwarded me a spam email from the publisher soliciting editorial board service. Here’s a selection from the spam:
Greetings from Juniper Publishers!!
It’s our honor to collaborate with eminent people like you, after going through your profile I take the pleasure of inviting you to serve as an Editor for our JOJ Ophthalmology. We request you to kindly support us by accepting our proposal for being an Editor of our Journal.
The spam was signed “Christina Edwards, Assistant Managing Editor,” a name and title I think are contrived.
Next, Cresco Online Publishing.
This publisher launched before it was ready. That is to say, the website is unfinished and still contains Latin filler text. Also, its telephone number is given as “(123) 123 123.”
I also learned about this publisher through a spam email soliciting editorial board membership:
Greetings from Cresco Online Publishing.
Cresco is the open access platform for publishing scientific content online. The Journal under the open access platform publishes latest research content happening all over the world. The Journal Trends and Advancements in Biochemistry (TAB) accounts for the research in the field of Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques.
All the articles published in the journal are peer-reviewed by our editorial team. Our editorial team forms with the combination of editors and reviewers in the fields of Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques. We are in the process of forming the editorial board for our journal.
This one is signed “Emily, Editorial Manager,” yet another fake persona. The publisher purports to be based in New York, but it’s really based in South Asia.
The journals from both publishers are broad in scope and cover fields already over-saturated with open-access journals.
I recommend that scholars completely avoid associating with all 72 journals from both Juniper Publishing Group and Cresco Online Publishing.
Appendix A: List of Juniper Publishers journals as of 2015-09-04:
- Academic Journal of Pediatrics & Neonatology
- Advanced Research in Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Advances in Biotechnology & Microbiology
- Advances in Dentistry & Oral Health
- Aeronautics & Aerospace International Journal
- Agricultural Research & Technology: Open Access Journal
- Anatomy Physiology & Biochemistry International Journal
- Cancer Therapy & Oncology International Journal
- Civil Engineering Research Journal
- Current Research in Diabetes & Obesity Journal
- Global Journal of Nanomedicine
- Global Journal of Otolaryngology
- Global Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- International Journal of Cell Science & Molecular Biology
- International Journal of Environmental Sciences & Natural Resources
- International Journal of Pulmonary & Respiratory Sciences
- JOJ Biosensors & Bioelectronics
- JOJ Ophthalmology
- JOJ Public Health
- JOJ Urology & Nephrology
- Journal of Anesthesia & Intensive Care Medicine
- Journal of Cardiology & Cardiovascular Therapy
- Journal of Dairy & Veterinary Sciences
- Journal of Electronics & Embedded Engineering
- Journal of Forensic Sciences & Criminal Investigation
- Journal of Gynecology and Women’s Health
- Journal of Pharmacology & Clinical Research
- Journal of Virology and Current Research
- Journal of Yoga and Physiotherapy
- Nutrition and Food Science International Journal
- Open Access Journal of Neurology & Neurosurgery
- Open Access Journal of Toxicology
- Organic & Medicinal Chemistry International Journal
- Orthopedics and Rheumatology Open Access Journal
- Psychology and Behavioral Science International Journal
- Robotics & Automation Engineering Journal
Appendix B: List of Cresco Online Publishing journals as of 2015-09-04:
- Advancements in Electrical and Electronics Technology
- Journal of Applied and Advanced Physics
- Journal of Buddhism and Living
- Journal of Business and Human Resource Management
- Journal of Civil and Architectural Engineering
- Journal of Computer Science and Software Development
- Journal of Etiology and Animal Health
- Journal of Information Technology and Telecommunications
- Journal of Mechanical and Automobile Engineering
- Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacovigilance
- Journal of Plant Health and Technology
- Trends and Advancements of Biochemistry
- Annals of Chemistry
- Annals of Surgery International
- Arts, Literature and Linguistics
- Astronomy and Space Science Astronomy and Space Science
- Advances in Clinical and Medical Microbiology
- Cancer Research and Oncology
- Cell and Molecular Biology Cell and Molecular Biology
- Diabetes Research and Metabolism
- Education and E-learning Education and E-learning
- Genetic Engineering and Gene Cloning
- Heart and Cardiology
- Infectious Diseases and Vaccines
- Journal of Food Technology and Nutrition Sciences
- Kidney and Urological Research
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Obesity, Overweight and Bariatric Surgery
- Neurology, Brain and Psychiatry
- Oral Health and Dentistry Research
- Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Research in HIV and Retroviral Infections
- Social Sciences & Psychology
- Trends in Biotechnology
- Trends in Clinical Research
- Trends in Gastroenterology