New Fake Metric Company Sells Nine Bogus Metrics to Publishers

Impact Factor Services for International Journals

Worthless metrics.

Let me introduce Impact Factor Services for International Journals (I.F.S.I.J), the newest addition to my list of misleading metrics companies. The firm’s mission is to help low-quality and predatory journals appear legitimate and successful, even when they are worthless and dangerous. It contrives and licenses nine different types of “factors” to journal publishers.

The company makes available these discrete metrics:

Impact Factor (IF)
Journal Total Quality Factor (JTQF)
Journal Regularity Factor (JRF)
Journal Indexing Factor (JIF)
Journal Popularity Factor (JPF)
Journal Technical Quality Factor (JTQF)
Journal Citation Factor (JCFE)
Journal Editorial Quality Factor (JEQF) Journal Originality Factor (JOF)

A journal can license its impact factor for forty dollars per year. The other metrics are also available individually, or you can purchase the entire package of all the metrics for ₹2000 per year (the price is not given in dollars).

According to the service’s “Contact” page, it’s based in Pune, Maharashtra, India and operated by Mr. P.R. Choubey, M.Tech, Electrical Power System.

As a condition of using the service. Mr. Choubey tells his customers, “Note: once the journal is indexed it is mandatory to publish IFSIJ logo on journal website.”

An example of a journal that uses these metrics is Annals of Phytomedicine, and it displays the fake values prominently:

Annals of Phytomedicine

Annals of misrepresentation.

In my opinion, any journal that showcases one or more of Mr. Choubey’s bogus “factors” is a journal that researchers should avoid.

Many open-access journals, especially those based in South Asia, now use fake metrics to attract article submissions and the money that follows.

Don’t submit your work to any journal that advertises a fake impact factor or any other made-up metric.

Hat tip: Shirley Ainsworth

14 Responses to New Fake Metric Company Sells Nine Bogus Metrics to Publishers

1. Praveen Chandra says:

I do not appreciate your comments on I.F.S.I.J. Why it is fake and bogus? Who is genuine?

• From Morocco says:

I.F.S.I.J indeed is an IF for predatory journals. In others words, I.F.S.I.J is a fake metric company for fake journals.

As mentioned in this blog, this fake metric company is based in Pune; strikingly, there is awareness-raising on predatory journals and spurious IF in Pune:
      – Keep out of bogus journals, SPPU tells researchers (Pune Mirror, Jul 16, 2015)

– Guidelines for Research Publications – University of Pune
      Here some cherry-picked passages from this document:

“Predatory Journals Detailed description of predatory publishers, journals and related issues is available at https://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/ The Beall’s List of predatory publishers and Journals has grown in size from merely 18 in 2011 to nearly 700 in 2015. Beall’s list also contain over twenty six misleading metrics companies fabricating spurious variants of Impact Factors.”

“Many spurious Indian journals have not yet been included in Beall’s list and there no authentic data about them as of now.”

“… many spurious agencies giving fraud impact factors have emerged in last few years.”

“Guidelines and Recommendations:
      8. Many fake indexing agencies, societies, academies have created false identity to sound / appear similar to reputed agencies. Beall’s list provide primary guidance and information on predatory publishers, predatory standalone journals, misleading metrics companies and hijacked journals https://scholarlyoa.com/2015/01/02/beallslist-of-predatory-publishers-2015/

• MC says:

Hahaha! who was so angry by this comment that they needed to interrupt cricket practice and get all their friends to downvote it too? Hilarious

2. S Mondal says:

Dear Jeffrey, I have a request. Can you please look into International Standards Publication, and in particular, this rather long-named journal: http://www.ijltemas.in/ ? Doesn’t seem genuine, but would appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance.

• I agree with you. This journal is pretty much a disaster. All respectable researchers should avoid it. I had not heard of it before, so thanks for drawing it to my attention. I’ve added it to my list.

3. Hocine Guediri says:

Dear Mr Beall

While you are questioning the legitimacy of several bogus indexing firms, let me bring your readers’ concern towards one of the well-recognized indexes named Thomson Reuters ISI. I have come across an international journal whose application for this index was declined recently. The journal was active in the field of manufacturing and industrial engineering area. While there are many low quality journals listed in ISI database they decided not include the one I was concerned with. I hereby raise some concern about one of the low quality ones listed in ISI and invite ISI team to come and comment about,

The journal of The South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, for instance, has been indexed in ISI index for years. The journal has published 275 articles over the past few years and 173 articles belong to South Africa. This means 65% of the articles are non-international. In addition, the journal has never been able to publish an article with high rate of citation. The journal has maintained a poor impact factor mostly lower than .15. I see no reason this journal could be accepted for this index. Moreover no reason exits for granting this index to this journal for the first time. I wonder why the ISI editorial team refuse to add some good quality open access journals with better figures in terms of internationality, impact factor and other legitimate keys and keep many low quality journals in their database.

My other concern is associated with journals which receive ISI index as soon as they publish their first issue. Apparently, the indexing system for such journals is based on a reference letter. For instance, Prof. Zadeh, the pioneer of fuzzy logic, may recommend a journal in fuzzy decision making and ISI team jump into indexing the journal. I see many of these journals also fail to publish papers with high rate of citations!
    I strongly believe sooner or later more and more people bring ISI index under more serious questions in future.

I believe other indexes such as Scopus and Scimago presently better represent a legitimate index. Thanks to ELSEVIER team for breaking ISI monopoly, most universities have recently moved to use Scimago ranking system for journal evaluation. The ranking of Scimago also clearly confirms my earlier claims. There are many Q1 journals in Scimago which are not listed in ISI database and many Q4 journals are listed in ISI database.

4. […] Per far ancora più contenta Boiron, i clinici di UniBo dovrebbero convincere l'editore della rivista (IF 0,15) in cui si son comprati la peggior eccetera a comprare falsi indici bibliometrici dal fornitore indiano scoperto da Jeffrey Beall. […]

5. syed robayet ferdous says:

let me know about the American Journal of Industrial and Business Management (http://www.scirp.org/journal/ajibm). is it predaroial in nature? please help me.

• Yes, I recommend that you not submit any papers to all of the SCIRP (Scientific Research Publishing) journals. It’s a very low quality publisher, and in the long term, publishing your work with this journal will hurt you more than help you.

6. Ravindran says:

Dear Dr. Jeffrey, Please let me know about “SCIENCEALERT”. It is included in the list of yours. But some of the journals indexed in ISI and scopus. Please guide me

• Hi, Ravindran. This is an easy one. Scopus and ISI are making a bad mistake by including some of the Sciencealert journals in their indexes. I stand by my recommendation that researchers avoid all Sciencealert journals. Good luck.

• MC says:

But the name suggests urgency and excellence, and there are no other journals where I can report my discoveries in the exciting field of alert science.

7. Author says:

i think the blog is part of strategy for a publicity, i was observing IFSIJ website, hits are suddenly increased to the website after this blog.. whom to trust is biggest problem