New Open-Access Publisher Launches with 65 Unneeded Journals

The Scientific Pages

Cute logo, but this publisher is dead on arrival.

A new open-access publisher with the strange name The Scientific Pages launched recently with 65 worthless scholarly journals. All the journals duplicate the coverage of existing subscription and open-access journals.

The publisher gives this as its headquarters address:

The Scientific Pages
1805 N Carson Street
Suite S, Carson City
Nevada 89701, USA

However, this is really the address of The Carson Mail Depot, a rent-a-mailbox company. I don’t know where they’re really based — probably South Asia. The domain name data is blinded.

The publisher is currently spamming for editorial board members, and the spam emails signed by “Nancy Perez,” probably a fake name.

The website text is tortured and ungrammatical. Explaining their copyright policy, they say,

Any content published with us will hold the copyrights. Thus we recommend to use only with proper citations cited when used. This ensures that the content utilized will be solely for personal purpose and not for commercial usage.

The manuscripts published with the Journal will retain copyrights ownership with authors.

That makes little sense. Like many predatory publishers, this one tries to place itself as a trusted partner in the open-access movement. Seeking approval, it states ([sic] throughout):

OA provide many benefits to the scientific community such as, high visibility, retain copyrights, unlimited space constrains for data, rapid publication and dissimilation, high impact, high readership, and citation feasibilities.

Dissimilation?

I think their journal cover images all include pictures lifted from the internet. Here’s the cover for their journal The Scientific Pages of Pediatrics:

The Scientific Pages of Pediatrics

What’s that under the teal blanket?

All their journal titles begin with the phrase “The Scientific Pages of … ” To me the term “scientific pages” refers to young employees in the library who fetch science books.

So, when you get a spam invitation to join one of their editorial boards or to submit a paper to one of their journals, I recommend you delete it.

Appendix: List of The Scientific Pages journals as of 2016-02-25

62. The Scientific Pages of Sports Medicine
  63. The Scientific Pages of Translational Medicine
  64. The Scientific Pages of Translational Neuroscience
  65. The Scientific Pages of Vaccines

21 Responses to New Open-Access Publisher Launches with 65 Unneeded Journals

1. tekija says:

Ophthalmology is a word that is hard to spell correctly. Failed!

2. tekija says:

Caveat emptor:

“The publisher also holds the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the service to all or to specified services at any point of time.”

3. Andy Gilbey says:

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention, Jeffrey. What annoys me most is that people will no doubt use it to gain ‘publications’ they can use for career advancement – and succeed!

• Derek says:

Andy, I absolutely agree with you. Sometimes it actually gets ironic. I am at an institution where they just made someone with six publications in Beall listed journals the “Faculty Research Peer Mentor”, to mentor others in research.

4. MC says:

Until NPG comes out with a rice research only publication, I predict that “The Scientific Pages of Rice Research” will not only fill this gaping void, but also became an often copied masterpiece.

5. louella2014 says:

perhaps they meant ‘dissimulation’. It would be apt.

• Steven Cercy, Ph.D. says:

I got their email and chucked it forthwith. I think they intended “dissemination”. Dissimulation would, however, be apt for these spammers and scammers.

6. Dr Adam Le Gresley says:

I came across Beall’s site a few years ago and it has been invaluable. As an academic, the number of editorial boards I have been asked to join has gone up 10-fold in the last year. There are so many new ones, I always check here to see if I am being duped. Some invitations are so irrelevant to my area as to be ridiculous, but they are becoming increasingly more targeted in their approach. Keep up the great work!!!

7. IndRes says:

The Domain name is blinded.The contact address is US based.Then why you point to South Asia.Do you think there are fools only at South Asia and Europeans are intelectuals.Beall you are biased to Asian countries

8. James Morris says:

My invitation came from Shirley Paul. The description of the journal, “The Scientific Pages of Metallurgical and Material Engineering,” feels the need to explain that mixtures of metal elements are called alloys.

As above, thanks for the service. I see less attention to the ethical issues in physical sciences, but it is definitely there. And it is not just packing publications, but people listing editorial board experience as relevant.

9. Trish Paton says:

Yes, just got spammed to be Editorial Board or Reviewer (apparently they’re not fussy) for Scientific Pages of Nursing. Not being a nurse, I rarely take any of these seriously but I do publish with some. So, I have to say thanks for this list and the incredible amount of work that goes into maintaining it. Journal spam has skyrocketed, thank you Jeffrey Beall for taking it on. This site is now an essential part of my email blocking.

10. M-K Tan says:

I first came to know about The Scientific Pages from an invitation to join the editorial board of the ‘The Scientific Pages of Crop Science’ from Allie Haynes. I checked and found the current editorial board as @25May2016 has a list of six US professors/scientists and one from China with impressive CVs. My impression from the website is the ‘The Scientific Pages’ may be a good platform for the dissemination of science but not the publication of original research articles. Time will tell whether they will be a trusted source of scientific information. It will be great if it is so, as trusted sources of science information like New Scientist, Science and Nature require subscription and beyond reach in most developing countries.

• You’re completely wrong, an I suspect you have some association with this lousy publisher.
      The Scientific Pages is a rubbish publisher. No honest researcher should publish here or join their editorial boards.
      Many subscription journals are distributed freely in developing countries through the Research4Life program.

The Scientific Pages is a complete joke, and so is any researcher who promotes it.

• Mui-Keng Tan says:

For your record, I have zero association with the publisher. I did not join the editorial board. I am just keeping an open mind. I have not yet read a single article from Scientific Pages though!

• Leigh says:

No, you are misinforming others Mr. Beall. I am not affiliated with this journal but was approached by them as well. I proceeded to randomly outreach to three individuals serving on the board of the specific domain I was asked to serve on in order to get their first-hand assessment of the journal and overall credibility. First, these individuals are well-respected in their fields with very impressive credentials. Second, to a person, all three said that they joined the editorial board because they are interested in helping to advance nascent yet promising journals — one individual in his own words noted that “…JAMA had to have started somewhere, so why not this journal..” I think you do a tremendous disservice to others who come on this site looking for guidance Mr. Beall. I will implore folks here who really want to know about this journal, to reach out to one or two editorial members listed and get first hand information — their biographies are posted on the Scientific Pages site (and you can confirm their credentials by doing a simple search); I have found the individuals that I have reached out to, to be gracious in giving their feedback — please don’t rely on misinformation posted on this site…

11. This was my reply to their invitation to join the Editorial Board of The Scientific Pages of Geriatric Medicine:
    “Thank you for your invitation to join your Editorial Board. Before I decide I need to have details of other members of your Editorial Board, and I need to see examples of the articles you publish. I couldn’t find any of these on your website, and there weren’t any previous issues of the journal.Best wishes, Marios Kyriazis”

Their reply:”Greetings! Thank you for your queries. This is to bring to your kind notice that this is a new start up journal, we are still under process of seeking Editorial Board members. In the coming weeks we are collecting the contributions. We are accepting all kind of articles – Original Article, Reviews, Cases, Short Communication, Mini Review, Short Note, Perspective/Opinions, Editorials, Letters”

12. natho says:

13. Leigh says:

14. Timothy Bechtel says:

Yup. Just got this solicitation. The grammar was terrible. First clue. The moment I Googled, I found this post. Thanks. Confirms everything.
    Tim Bechtel, Franklin & Marshall College