Last week I wrote about a publisher that claims to be based in a small house in San Bernardino, California. Now here’s another Chinese publisher that has claimed to be based in in a dwelling in Rowland Heights, California.
The publisher is called Engineering and Technology Publishing (ETP). It appears that the owner may be Zhusheng Kang, who apparently has an association or affiliation with the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China.
I am aware of sixteen journals that apparently originate from this publisher, but there may be more.
Many of the journals apparently published by ETP are not branded as being from the publisher. There are a bunch of standalone journals that exist with no named publisher.
Many exist as a dumping ground for conference papers. Typically, the journals require copyright transfer but also charge an author fee, so authors are surrendering their copyright and also paying the publisher for the privilege of doing so.
The current “Contact Us” page for the publisher does not list any headquarters location, but earlier versions of the page gave the headquarters location as “2448 Desire Avenue, Rowland Heights, CA 91748.”
Looking at this location in Google Maps street view, one sees a pretentious, classical revival McMansion with palm trees.
One of their journals is called Journal of Medical and Bioengineering, a title that is ungrammatical in English.
It’s possible that this firm is related to the International Academy of Computer Technology (IACT), which I blogged about last week.
Some of this publisher’s journals have been criticized for publishing issues way in advance of their publishing date. For example, their International Journal of Information and Education Technology, had published monthly issues through December, 2016:
But now the website only shows issues up through March, 2016. What happened to the missing issues? Did a mass retraction occur?
This is a questionable and fishy publisher. I recommend that researchers not send any papers to any of this publisher’s journals.
Appendix: List of ETP journals as of 2016-03-20 (list may be incomplete)
- International Journal of Electrical Energy (IJOEE)
- International Journal of Electronics and Electrical Engineering (IJEEE)
- International Journal of Information and Education Technology
- International Journal of Languages, Literature and Linguistics
- International Journal of Materials Science and Engineering (IJMSE)
- International Journal of Signal Processing Systems (IJSPS)
- International Journal of Smart Grid and Clean Energy (SGCE) Journal of Medical and Bioengineering (JOMB)
- Journal of Advanced Management Science (JOAMS)
- Journal of Advances in Information Technology (JAIT)
- Journal of Automation and Control Engineering (JOACE)
- Journal of Communications (JCM)
- Journal of Image and Graphics (JOIG)
- Journal of Industrial and Intelligent Information (JIII)
- Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering (JTLE)
- Journal of Life Sciences and Technologies (JOLST)
- Journal of Media & Mass Communication
- Lecture Notes on Information Theory (LNIT)
- Lecture Notes on Photonics