A new, India-based predatory publisher has emerged — Einstein International Journal Organization. The publisher gratuitously uses the name of one of one of history’s greatest scientists to attract manuscripts and author fees from unwary researchers for its nine anti-journals.
Two things stand out about this publisher’s journals: they combine multiple fields of study, including fields not normally treated together in the same journal, and they are in some cases devoted to pseudo-science.
My favorite is the EIJO Journal of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Interior Design and Innovative Research (EIJO–CEAIDIR). You don’t see too many scholarly journals that cover interior design, and there are even fewer that combine this field with civil engineering. Of course, the publisher claims — falsely — that the journal has an impact factor of 2.078. Pretty much all journals from India have impact factors now, most of them made up.
Another of their journals is the EIJO Journal of Homeopathic, Unani Medicine and Innovative Research (EIJO-HUMIR). Unani is a pseudo-science associated with the silly “cupping” trend. This journal at least does not list any impact factor, and it hasn’t published any articles yet, thankfully. It’s just someone’s bad idea at this stage.
The publisher is based in Jaipur, Rajasthan. It requires its unlucky authors to both pay to publish ($100) and transfer their copyright. The author fees are to be deposited directly into Mrs. Nitu’s personal savings account:
I think that if Albert Einstein were alive today to read the journals published by the Einstein International Journal Organization he would be sickened, and no amount of lead-tainted treatment from pseudo-sciences such as Ayurveda or Unani would make him well again.
Beninger, P. G., Beall, J. & Shumway, S. E. (2016). Debasing the currency of science: The growing menace of predatory open access journals. Journal of Shellfish Research, 35(1), 1-5.
Appendix: List of Einstein International Journal Organization journals as of 2016-08-10
- EIJO Journal of Ayurveda, Herbal Medicine and Innovative Research (EIJO–AHMIR)
- EIJO Journal of Bio-Technology, Food Technology, Agriculture and Innovative Research (EIJO–JBTFTAIR)
- EIJO Journal of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Interior Design and Innovative Research (EIJO–CEAIDIR)
- EIJO Journal of Engineering, Technology and Innovative Research (EIJO–JETIR)
- EIJO Journal of Homeopathic, Unani Medicine and Innovative Research (EIJO-HUMIR)
- EIJO Journal of Humanities, Social Affair, Management and Innovative Research (EIJO–JHSAMIR)
- EIJO Journal of Law, Cyber Crime, Justice and Innovative Research (EIJO-JLCCJIR)
- EIJO Journal of Medical, Health Science, and Innovative Research (EIJO–JMHSIR)
- EIJO Journal of Science, Technology and Innovative Research (EIJO–JSTIR)