Amateurish New OA Publisher Claims Association with Elsevier

Not likely.

Not likely.

There’s a new open-access publisher that claims it is cooperating with Elsevier, but I think the claim is highly unlikely. The publisher — Qingres — claims it’s based in the UK, another claim I find doubtful.

The publisher’s main page has a rotating banner at the top with two slides. One (shown above) proclaims its purported association with Elsevier, and the other invites researchers to submit manuscripts to “Create a SCI journal with high impact factors.”

The publisher launched with seven medical journals, all broad in scope and all in disciplines already saturated with journals — there’s no need for these new ones.

The website is adorned with logos from legitimate companies and organizations, and there’s a long list of “Cooperative Institutions.”

Keep dreaming.

Keep dreaming.

The publisher has Photoshopped its name on a picture of a building somewhere, the second time I’ve seen this deception.

Qingres makes several mentions of SCI and impact factors on the website. At the bottom of some pages this statement appears:

We only wish the impact factor of this Journal to go up with time elapse!

In fact, the publisher has waived fees until the journals get indexed in SCI, something I estimate will take a very long time, if it ever occurs. In the “authors’ guide” for one of the journals, the publisher says,

The publication for JPBS is now free of charge. After it has been included in SCI, the publication fee would be charged.

They also reveal their lack of publishing experience by giving contradictory licensing policies. In one place they say, “Editors/authors who contribute in the JPBS will transfer copyright of their work to the JPBS publisher.” But in another place they say, “The majority of authors retain copyright for their articles and our standard license allows liberal reuse rights.”

The publisher’s internet domain name data is blinded, except for this:

Registrant Name: huifang jiao

Qingres — the name is not explained — is an optimistic yet poorly-conceived open-access startup. I recommend that researchers not submit manuscripts to its journals and decline invitations to serve on its editorial boards.

Hat tip: Dr. Judit Ward, et al.

Appendix: List of Qingres journals as of 2016-09-24:

1. Journal of Biomedical Frontiers
  2. Journal of International Medical Analysis
  3. Journal of Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine
  4. Journal of Precision Medicine
  5. Journal of Psychiatry and Brain Science
  6. Med One
  7. Pharmaceutical Frontiers

18 Responses to Amateurish New OA Publisher Claims Association with Elsevier

1. Pascale Hajal says:

Dear sir

I would like to ask about International Journal on Integrating Technology in Education (IJITE)

Is it a good journal to publish in?

• No. This journal is published by AIRCC Publishing Corporation. I have this publisher included on my list and recommend that researchers not send papers to any of its journals. I would recommend that you find a better publisher for your work. Best wishes.

2. Sudesh says:

Hi Jeffrey,
    Thank you for your good work. Can you please tell me what is the difference between PUBMED, MEDLINE and PUBMED Central? Are the selection criteria for journals same for all three or do they have separate selection criteria?

• I recommend that you not use PubMed or PMC as whitelists.
      Please use Medline as a whitelist.
      PubMed has no selection criteria and is full of junk.
      Medline is a curated list of journals.

• Wim Crusio says:

Basically, PubMed is a search engine to the contents of BOTH MEDLINE and PubMed Central. MEDLINE is a curated database (that is, with qualified professionals deciding what journal gets included and which one doesn’t get in). PMC is a hybrid. It automatically includes articles published in certain selected journals, but it also accepts articles that have been published OA if they are deposited by their authors, even if published in a predatory journal. Hence Jeffrey is absolutely right that a lot of crap can appear in PubMed searches because of this PMC link. If you want to know about a specific journal, search the NLM catalog and look in the entry for the journal whether it says “Indexed for MEDLINE”.

3. I wonder if maybe they rented space for a day or something. That seems to be a thing at the given address, 16 St Martin’s le Grand, according to some office real estate services. Funny that the photoshopped building is not the “majestic, period building” at that address. Maybe they do have some affiliation with Elsevier, perhaps publishing in Procedia or some other low quality/no quality publication they are doing (I wish Elsevier would stop that, but that’s another issue entirely). It’s a mess, really. Glad you have the energy to keep fighting it all.

4. The registration data for is not anonymized. It refers to “Qinggers Limited”, and gives a real address.

This corresponds to the information registered at the UK Companies House for “Qingres Limited”, formerly known as “Qinggers Limited”. Cf.

You can also find names of principals in there. The company secretary, John Paul Heffernan, is, according to his LinkedIn profile, is “Financial Controller at RenAsset Management, Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom”. There are two people with Chinese names mentioned, Mrs Huifang Jiao (British resident, DOB October 1985, address of correspondence 89 Ability Place, 37 Millharbour, London, England, E14 9HB) and Pengpeng Yan (Chinese resident, DOB April 1984).

• Martin says:

On a different but related subject, I routinely block at the server level all emails from the organizations on Beall’s list using a partial string to catch as many variants as possible, but some of them are getting around this by using no-reply addresses. For example, any email with peertechz anywhere in the sender name is rejected with the message “Unsolicited messages are deleted unread” For OMICS I choose a shorter and ruder rejection message :-)

Today I received a typical scam message from peertechz using the address The body of the message included this:

You are hereby requested not to reply on the sender E-Mail ID.
      Please reply to this mail on following mail-ID: or Submit Paper (for paper submission). We are looking forward to have a long-term, professional relationship with you.

This is not the first example of such a workaround. Of course I just add the new domain to my rejection list, but it is an arms race.

Do you guys at SciSpam have a one-stop-shop solution for this problem? I’ve looked at your site but I don’t understand how to import your settings to my server!

• Thanks for the reply, Martin. We found mentioned in a PeerTechz spam last week and will be listing it. contains the information on how to use Scientific Spam on a mail server. If you don’t operate your own mail server, you need to figure out if you are able to use DNSBL information at all in whatever the other context may be.

• Martin, some IT types have told me that sending any reply to these spam emails – even an automated reply – is a bad idea, because it indicates that the account is “live” and thus makes it more attractive for further spamming.The same with clicking on “unsubscribe” links in the spam emails – apparently some “unsubscribe” links don’t unsubscribe you; they just collect live email addresses that are then used for other spam. I’m curious – have you noticed any change in the amount of spam you receive since you started sending the automated replies?

• Martin says:

Hi Fiona

I’m not an expert but I think there is a difference between sending a reply (such as would be the case with an out of office autoreply) and a server-level rejection. I think (but I stand to be corrected) that the former alerts the sender that the account is active, whereas the latter is an automatic process with the opposite effect (server-level rejection would also occur if the mailbox doesn’t exist or if an account is closed, for example). I haven’t noticed any increase in spam since starting this practice, and with the exception of peertechz no-one has deliberately worked around it, although a couple of others seem to have an autorejection autoreply strategy where the next email comes from or whoever. When I try to add ‘bounce’ to my list of rejection strings it doesn’t work. Maybe this one is built in as a function of my email server software so cannot be blocked, I don’t know. I fully agree never to click the unsubscribe link though – I think they use them to harvest addresses for their friends to send more junk! I used to get 10 or more of these messages a day, now it’s down to one or two a week and apart from the peertechz exception noted above they are all newbies and just get added to the list!

5. tekija says:

Well. There is an Elsevier employee with a Cinese name who uses Elsevier’s Pathway Studio for data mining and publishes in a Qingres journal. Perhaps that is the weak link between Qingres and Elsevier that they try exploiting.

6. […] Amateurish New OA Publisher Claims Association with Elsevier Jeffrey Beall […]

7. @Fiona McQuarrie: Rejecting email at the server level is not the same as sending an automated reply.

You can’t hide the fact that an email server for a domain name exists. If you have an email address, there will be a server that has to accept attempts to send email to the address.

However, an email server can reject attempts to send before a message has even been seen, merely based on where the attempt is coming from, which is what we facilitate and what Martin was discussing.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )