This blog post describes four new open-access publishers I added to my publisher list in September, 2016. Two of them may be ghost brands from OMICS International, continuing in its strategy to dominate and saturate medical publishing with its low-quality, duplicative, and unneeded open-access journals. The four new publishers profiled here are Aster Publications, Science Research Association, Scientific Literature, and United Scholars Publication.
I learned about Aster Publications on September 21st when I was forwarded a spam email for Aster’s Journal of Aquaculture and Environmental Impacts, one of seven new journals from this publisher.
The spam email was signed by “Neil Evans,” almost certainly a contrived name. The spam email was an invitation to serve on the editorial board, and if you receive an email from Aster, I recommend you discard it.
Aster Publications is one of the two new imprints I describe here that I suspect may be an OMICS International effort. It claims to be based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, not a town known for its scholarly publishing industry.
The domain name data for the journal is blinded, so there’s no confirmation or information about who is behind this amateurish effort. I suspect it’s OMICS or a copycat scammer.
- Science Research Association (SCIREA)
Thanks to open-access publishing, we’ve seen in an explosion in the number of scientific “associations.” Open-access profiteers need a veneer of legitimacy to attract articles, and masquerading as an “association” helps provide this cover. SCIREA, as they call themselves for short, is among the newest entry in this crowded field.
The publisher’s “contact us” page doesn’t give any information about where this publisher is based, but the internet domain data indicates the registrant is Li Yu of Beijing, China.
SCIREA launched with 39 broad journals, many of them with ridiculously broad scopes, such as SCIREA Journal of Education and SCIREA Journal of Sociology. The titles of its journals are more like the titles of children’s books.
They offer authors a membership option, but it’s unclear whether paying members get fee waivers (the author fee is $100) or just discounts on the fee. The publisher states it this way: “Subscribe for Interminable Submissions,” another demonstration of the limitations of Google Translate. This publisher is just another attempt to exploit researchers for profit. I wish it would just disappear.
Scientific literature — a presumptuous name for such a malevolent effort — launched with 33 completely duplicative and unneeded medical journals. The publisher claims it’s based in Delaware, the fake home of many predatory publishers.
There’s not much to say about this publisher — its website is spare. The journals don’t even have ISSNs yet, not to mention editorial boards, but they will be happy to accept manuscript submissions.
They’ve lifted pictures from across the internet to decorate their journal covers. This publisher may be owned by OMICS, for it matches their modus operandi.
Why does the scholarly publishing industry not regulate itself better? Why are we seeing complex medical journals — such as the Journal Of Clinical Neurology, Neurosurgery And Spine — being launched and operated by greedy amateurs?
I added United Scholars Publications to my list on September 26th, and on the 28th I got an email from someone named Casey White, their “Editorial Coordinator,” asking me to remove it. I didn’t.
This publisher gives the address of the Anaheim post office (2255 West Ball Road) as its business address. It has one overall editorial board, and the editorial boards for the 14 journals it publishes are drawn from this master list, with the names jumbled for each one.
Among the four publishers, this one seems to be the sneakiest. It may really be based in Northern California and run by someone who works at Sonoma State University.
In several places on its website, this publisher declares “No publication fee,” but on the inside it mentions an $86 dollar fee.
The journals are a strange mix of engineering and humanities titles. I don’t see this publisher as a bona fide effort to enable scholarly communication. I think it’s just a scheme to earn easy profit from researchers, a scheme that is late to the party.
Hat tip: Dr. Kathryn H. Jacobsen, et al.
List of Aster Publications journals as of 2016-10-01:
- Aster Family Medicine
- Aster Medical Case Reports
- Journal of Ageing, Disability and Chronic Disease
- Journal of Aquaculture and Environmental Impacts
- Journal of Gynecology and Fertility
- Journal of HIV/AIDs & Current Research
- Journal of Nano Studies and Applications
List of Science Research Association journals as of 2016-10-01:
- SCIREA Journal of Agriculture
- SCIREA Journal of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine
- SCIREA Journal of Astronomy
- SCIREA Journal of Aviation & Aerospace
- SCIREA Journal of Biology
- SCIREA Journal of Chemical Engineering
- SCIREA Journal of Chemistry
- SCIREA Journal of Civil Engineering and Building Construction
- SCIREA Journal of Clinical Medicine
- SCIREA Journal of Computer Science and Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Dynamic and Electric Engineering
- SCIREA Journal of Economics
- SCIREA Journal of Education
- SCIREA Journal of Electrics, Communication and Automatic Control
- SCIREA Journal of Environmental Science and Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Fisheries
- SCIREA Journal of Food Science and Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Forestry
- SCIREA Journal of Geosciences
- SCIREA Journal of Hydraulic Engineering
- SCIREA Journal of Information Science and Systems Science
- SCIREA Journal of Management Science
- SCIREA Journal of Materials Science
- SCIREA Journal of Mathematics
- SCIREA Journal of Mechanical Engineering
- SCIREA Journal of Mechanics
- SCIREA Journal of Metallurgical Engineering
- SCIREA Journal of Mine Engineering Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Pharmacology
- SCIREA Journal of Philosophy
- SCIREA Journal of Physics
- SCIREA Journal of Preclinical Medicine
- SCIREA Journal of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene
- SCIREA Journal of Safety Science and Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Science and Technology of Energy Sources
- SCIREA Journal of Sociology
- SCIREA Journal of Survey & Drawing Science and Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Textile Science and Technology
- SCIREA Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering
List of Scientific Literature journals as of 2016-10-01:
- Annals of Diabetes, Metabolic Disorders & Control
- Annals of Orthopaedics, Trauma and Rehabilitation
- Anxiety and Depression Journal
- Biometrics and Biostatistics Journal
- Cancer Prevention: Current Research Journal
- Chromatography and Separation Techniques Journal
- Clinical Dermatology: Research and Therapy
- Gerontology and Geriatric Research
- Immunology Research and Therapy Journal
- Journal of Case Reports: Clinical & Medical
- Journal of Clinical Neurology, Neurosurgery and Spine
- Journal of Nephrology & Kidney Diseases
- Journal of Otolaryngology: Research
- Lung, Pulmonary & Respiratory Research Journal
- Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology Journal
- Neurological Disorders & Epilepsy Journal
- Nutrition and Food Science Journal
- Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Surgery
- Pharmaceutical Sciences and Biomedical Analysis Journal
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Journal
- SL Cell Science & Report
- SL Clinical and Experimental Cardiology
- SL Clinical and Medical Oncology
- SL Clinical Medicine: Research
- SL Dentistry, Oral Disorders and Therapy
- SL Gastroenterology
- SL Journal of Anesthesia & Critical Care
- SL Nutrition and Metabolism
- SL Pediatrics & Therapeutics
- SL Pharmacology and Toxicology
- SL Vaccines and Vaccination Journal
- Urology: Research and Therapeutics Journal
- Virology & Retrovirology Journal
List of United Scholars Publications journals as of 2016-10-01:
- Journal of Advances in Electronics and Power Systems
- Journal of Advances in Life and Natural Sciences
- Journal of Control, Robotics, and Mechatronic Systems
- Journal of Educational and Pedagogical Studies
- Journal of Humanities and Social Studies
- Journal of Informatics and Computing Technology
- Journal of Language and Literature Research
- Journal of Marketing and Business Studies
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics
- Journal of Modeling and Simulation of Antennas and Propagation
- Journal of Networks and Telecommunication Systems
- Journal of Wearable and Flexible Electronics
- Progress in Biomedical Engineering Research
- Progress in Telemedicine and E-Health