Here are three new open-access publishers I learned of and added to my list of questionable publishers in October, 2016. Each is strange is its own special way. They are True Scholar, Journals of Scientifics R&D, and Scientific Research Gate. Geographically dispersed, each originates in a country not generally associated with predatory publishers.
1. True Scholar
The strangest thing about True Scholar is that its journals are not listed or linked to from its main webpage. Instead, the main page serves to advertise two upcoming conferences, one in Ghana, where I think True Scholar is based, and one in Dubai, the location of many low-quality academic conferences.
True Scholar publishes six broad-scoped, open-access journals. Their titles (see list below) all begin with the phrase, “Ideal Journal of … ” Because I could find no publisher website that lists all the journals (except the journal websites themselves), I added each title to my standalone journal list.
The branding of the journals varies. They list the publisher as Ideal True Scholar. It costs $60 to publish an article in one of the journals, and you have to transfer your copyright as well, a rotten arrangement. The contact information mostly points to the U.K., but, again, I think they’re really in Ghana.
Their Ideal Journal of Environmental Science and Management (IJESAM) currently lacks an editorial board, but they’re happy to take submissions.
This publisher stands out for its strange, ungrammatical name: Journals of Scientifics R&D. The publisher trades on the value of research and development. I had one of this publisher’s journals on my standalone journal list, and now it has morphed into a medium-sized publisher.
JSRD publishes 25 open-access journals, mostly in business and engineering. Each journal title ends with “R&D,” for example, the Journal of Economics R&D. This pattern creates the strange title, Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies R&D.
The publisher is based in Ben Arous, Tunisia, though I didn’t see this information given on its “contact us” pages. Their indexing page purports to list all the databases the journals are indexed in, but the page mostly contains logos of websites that are anything but academic indexes (image above).
Finally, I added Scientific Research Gate to my list in October. Hmmmm, I wonder where they came up with that name? Like the previous publisher, this one also launched with 25 journals and there is a common term in each title (with a couple exceptions): Each title ends with the word “papers,” such as International Journal of Electronic Papers.
Electronic papers? Although this publisher claims it’s based in Dubai, I think it’s really based in Sari, Iran. The publisher boasts, “Scientific Research Gate is a rapidly growing academic publisher with peer-reviewed, open access journals that covers [sic] different academic fields.” (There are a few predatory publishers based in Iran, but not many).
A spam email from this publisher forwarded to me promises, “Authors will be informed regarding the decision of their manuscript in 5-7 working days. A paper will be published immediately following acceptance.” Examining the website, I did not see how much they charge to publish the papers they receive.
So, October, 2016 brought three new, low-quality, open-access publishers from countries with little history of hosting such publishers, Ghana, Tunisia, and Iran. Each publisher uses idiosyncratic conventions to create unique journal titles, probably because most standard journal titles are already taken by other publishers.
Red alert image from debivort.
Appendix: List of journals from each publisher.
True Scholar journals:
- Ideal Journal of Arts and Humanities (IJAH)
- Ideal Journal of Economics and Management Sciences (IJEMS)
- Ideal Journal of Education and Policy Studies (IJEPAS)
- Ideal Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences (IJEAS)
- Ideal Journal of Psychology and Theology (IJOPAT)
- Ideal Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences (IJESAM)
Journals of Scientifics R&D journals:
- Journal of Accounting R&D
- Journal of Active and Passive Electronic Components R&D
- Journal of Advances in Artificial Intelligence R&D
- Journal of Advances in Electrical Engineering R&D
- Journal of Antenna and propagations R&D
- Journal of Business and Management R&D
- Journal of Business R&D
- Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security R&D
- Journal of Computer Engineering R&D
- Journal of Cyber-Security R&D
- Journal of Economics R&D
- Journal of E-Learning and Education R&D
- Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering R&D
- Journal of Financial R&D
- Journal of Forensics and Networks Investigations R&D
- Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies R&D
- Journal of Information Systems R&D
- Journal of Management R&D
- Journal of Marketing R&D
- Journal of Optical Communications R&D
- Journal of Optoelectronics R&D
- Journal of Security R&D
- Journal of Signal Processing and Imaging Engineering R&D
- Journal of Software Engineering R&D
- Journal of VLSI and Signal Processing R&D
Scientific Research Gate journals:
- International Journal of Agricultural Papers
- International Journal of Biological Papers
- International Journal of Biomedical Papers
- International Journal of Chemistry Papers
- International Journal of Dentistry sciences
- International Journal of Economic Papers
- International Journal of Electronic Papers
- International Journal of Engineering Papers
- International Journal of Internal Medicine Paper
- International Journal of Mathematical Papers
- International Journal of Medicine Papers
- International Journal of Multidisciplinary Papers
- International Journal of Nursing Papers
- International Journal of Pediatrics Papers
- International Journal of Pharmacology Papers
- International Journal of Polymer Papers
- International Journal of Psychiatry Papers
- International Journal of Public Health Papers
- International Journal of Surgical Papers
- International Journal of Veterinary Papers
- Journal of Botanical Papers
- Journal of Epidemiological Papers
- Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Papers
- Journal of Review in Sciences
- Middle East Journal of Case Reports