Hyderabad, India — City of Corruption

Predator central.

Predator central.

Hyderabad, India is one of the most corrupt cities on earth, I think. It is home to countless predatory open-access publishers and conference organizers, and new, open-access publishing companies and brands are being created there every day. All institutions of higher education, all funders, governments, and researchers should be especially wary of any business based in Hyderabad.

The tacit rule of thumb of Hyderabad-based businesses is: Use the internet to generate revenue any way you can.

There are numerous internet-based businesses in this over-crowded city, many located in a special enterprise zone called HITEC City, which some refer to as “Cyberabad.” The city is the home OMICS International, a notorious publisher I have been following since 2010 that has exploited, abused, and victimized countless researchers, as I’ve documented here on my blog.

I have been told that OMICS treats its employees as poorly as it treats researchers. Accordingly, many have left the company to start their own scholarly publishing houses, with most copying the malevolent business practices pioneered by OMICS.

Starting a new online business — such as a publishing operation — costs very little, especially in India.

Typically, the newly-launched predatory publishers use spam email to solicit manuscript submissions to hastily-launched, broad-scope journals. They quickly accept submitted papers, skipping peer review. Then they send an invoice to the surprised authors, who, realizing the journal is fake, request that the article be withdrawn.

Don't go to Hyderabad.

Don’t go to Hyderabad.

At this point, it’s too late, and the publisher refuses to withdraw the paper unless a fee is paid. The authors are then left with the choice to either pay a fee to withdraw the paper or pay a fee to publish it. The publishers know that you cannot submit a paper to a good journal when it’s already been published in a bad one.

Given the city’s poor reputation, many businesses based in Hyderabad lie and claim to be based in Western countries. They use the addresses of virtual office companies or mailbox rental firms. OMICS International does this, deceptively claiming offices in Henderson, Nevada and Foster City, California.

Again — be very careful with any online-based business that originates in Hyderabad, India. Corruption is the rule in Hyderabad, and businesses based there are world leaders in ripping off honest consumers, including researchers. □

Map credit: Uwe Dedering via Wikimedia Commons. Published here under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

34 Responses to Hyderabad, India — City of Corruption

1. Samir Hachani says:

I intended on going to Hyderabad on vacation.I have canceled everything , I always take Jeff’s advices for granted. I will instead go to some Pakistani city…………

2. charlesantaki says:

A concentration like this is remarkable, of course, but perhaps there is a danger of overstatement in claiming that the city (implicitly: everyone , and every business in it) is corrupt. Might it not be safer to more cautiously note that the infrastructure for such publishing scams seems to be particularly favourable here, and leave it at that?

3. Keith says:

Typo: “The city is the home OMICS International”
    Also, the HITEC City link is broken.

I feel like this article could do with more links to earlier articles and external resources, so that if people come to this specific article from a link, it doesn’t look like it’s making unfounded assertions. Obviously numerous examples of dodgy Hyderabad-based businesses have been discussed here in the past, but someone who’s never visited this blog before won’t know that.

4. Wolfgang Muß (= MUSZ or MUSS) says:

@Keith:
    ‘typo’ try: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMICS_Publishing_Group :
    Parent company: OMICS Group Inc
    Status: Active
    Founded: 2007
    Founder: Srinubabu Gedela
    Country of origin: India
    Headquarters location: Hyderabad
    Distribution: Worldwide
    Publication types: Open access journals
    Nonfiction topics: Science, technology, and medicine
    Number of employees: 1500[1]
    Official website: http://www.omicsonline.org

Concerning broken LINK / URL to: ‘ HITEC City link’ cf:

• Keith says:

It’s a typo because it’s grammatically incorrect – I wasn’t saying it was factually incorrect. It should read “The city is the home of OMICS International”.

• Wolfgang Muß (= MUSZ or MUSS) says:

@Keith,: you are right….I replied only for convenuience of other readers not familiar with the matter….Apologize, if I bothered you…

• Herr Doktor Bimler says:

You have to admire the Hyderabad technoscamming digital industry companies for persuading the Andhra Pradesh regional government to provide them (through APIIC) with infrastructure and accommodation that they would otherwise have to pay for themselves.

The State possibly thought they would attract the next Microsoft or Google (though given the disinclination among tech corporations about paying taxes, the benefit of doing so is not obvious). Instead they attracted call centres, OMICS, Allied Academies, Insight, iMedPub, Jacobs, JSciMed, Peertechz, MedCrave, and Bio Accent (who named their company like a laundry-powder additive)

5. Stuart McKelvie says:

Given that there must be some legitimate business in this city, one should be careful to not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Perhaps we need a list of warning signs.

Jeffrey Beall posted: ” Hyderabad, India is one of the most corrupt cities on earth, I think. It is home to countless predatory open-access publishers and conference organizers, and new, open-access publishing companies and brands are being created there every day. All insti”

6. Emmanuel Balogun says:

Fraud in confirmed. It is true that India has the highest publication fraudsters. An example is ijirr( International journal of information research and review ). This organisation accepted my paper and acknowledge receipt for payment and ever since they failed to communicate me again. All my messages were not headed. Kindly assist me to retrieve my $60 I paid to them. Thanks On Nov 22, 2016 5:01 PM, “Scholarly Open Access” wrote:

> Jeffrey Beall posted: ” Hyderabad, India is one of the most corrupt cities > on earth, I think. It is home to countless predatory open-access publishers > and conference organizers, and new, open-access publishing companies and > brands are being created there every day. All insti” >

7. Natalia Luxardo says:

Thank you Jeffrey. I´m a researcher from a low-income country and we are always pushed to publish or perish but with less resources to identify what is behind the facade. Therefore, having some experts devoted to analyse and disseminate these findings among the episttemic community is really helpful. Thanks! (Argentina)

8. Robert Kalina says:

I have sold my name Pulsus and some journals to OMICS. If there were no need for this kind o publisher they would not exist. When I used to publish them I received zero support from the Societies (in fact, we paid THEM), no government support, authors didn’t want to pay, subscribers were scarce and our only source of revenue was pharmaceutical advertising. The model is broken.

9. Manoj says:

Please correct
    The map of Hindustan.

10. Asima Yashik Kathimo says:

Omics International has changes the name to “Pulsus”. Though we are commenting about predatory publishers, articles are continuously gets published in journals. Researchers are taking the issue seriously. Previously I’ve published a paper in Omics, the finance person keep on mailing for payment with omics address, but suddenly the address in the mail changed to Pulsus with another mailing domain fore the same paper.

Please take this seriously & help the rest researchers.

• Keith says:

As far as I know, OMICS has acquired Pulsus, not changed its name. They seem to have a complicated network of subsidiaries.

• Robert Kalina says:

You are correct Keith. I sold it to them. However, the letter from Asima above is so purely written that only OMICS might publish her work. Good luck!

11. Marco van den Berg says:

Jeffrey

Love your work, big fan etc, but let’s go a bit less Breitbart with the headlines?

12. IndRes says:

Please correct India ‘s map

• Keith says:

You’re the second person to say this – which elements of the map need correcting? Is it something to do with the areas disputed between India/Pakistan and India/China?

• Robert Kalina says:

I have been trying to reply but it has not worked. I had published peer review journals for 32 years. When I, at almost 70, decided to retire, there was not one company that wanted to buy me, except for OMICS. Authors do not want to pay the fees, subscriptions are nil, everybody wants open access and the pharmaceutical advertising is way down. I wish them well.

• Asima Yashik Kathimo says:

I also came to know that the editorial people in board and the company are youngsters with no experiences. You can see the reviews from employees in Glassdoor website (www.glassdoor.com)

• Wolfgang Muß (= MUSZ or MUSS) says:

IMHO Jeffry Beall only wanted to pinpoint the localization / position of Hyderabad [City]/India [cf.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabad%5D on “a” map. so he used as a template/symbolic presentation e. g. as it appears in: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabad_(Indien) -originating from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:India_location_map.svg ……..
        Jeffrey also could have choosen the map out of e.g. “https://www.google.com/search?q=Map+of+INDIA+indicating+hyderabad++AND+WIKIPEDIA” etc, etc. or “https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabad” the latter but with only reduced information value… I guess. So why any commenter requests corrections??

13. Venkatesh says:

I am ashamed to be from Hyderabad. There are countless “huksters” like OMICS operating out of Hyderabad. Thanks to Jeff for throwing light on such fake publishers. Also a thriving software hub, where some folks produce fake IT degrees and experience to make it to US for jobs.

14. behalbiotech says:

Some people are talking about Map of India. I want to ask them Why people out of India should consider it? That area between India/Pak/China is under conflict, so why should it be shown with India? Conflict area shown with dotted lines is best practice for International users.
    Main aim of this article is predatory publishers of Hyderabad, better we stay on that. It’s really a worrisome situation that many universities in India just know that journal should have ISBN/ISSN number, which any journal can get in India. It’s totally waste of research budget from India.

15. Jubedha says:

Jeffry,

I have few doubts

You are saying Hyderabad, India — City of Corruption. Then what about USA.

1. All these predatory publishers registered their companies in USA. Why USA is encouraging bogus companies.

2. All these predatory publishers opened bank accounts in USA. Article processing charges were deposited in that accounts. USA is earning foreign currency. All these publishers are paying TAX to USA. Why should always USA prefer money over ethics.

3. Why Library of congress (ISSN Center USA) is assigning ISSN’s for these publishers.

Bottom line :If Hyderabad, India — City of Corruption then USA – ?

• Barbara Piper says:

All of these corrupt publishers also wear clothes. They eat food. Should we condemn the clothing makers and food producers? Perhaps computer makers are equally corrupt for allowing their computers to be used by bogus publishers? Your attempt to establish equivalence is laughable.

• Hugo van den Berg says:

points 1,2: pecunia non olet!

point 3: an ISSN is not a stamp of approval, just a tracking number, so there is less corruption here than meets the eye…

16. Ravi says:

Several omics employees quit omics and started their own companies and now earning good money by publishing fake articles and junk

17. Sachin Pail says:

No doubt sir there are many predatory open access journal publishers are active in Hyderabad city. But its not like that the Hyderabad is the most corrupt city on the earth. The University Grants Commission (UGC) of India is now working on the issue of the predatory journals and soon all the predatory journals will be blacklisted.
    From Sachin Patil

• David Wojick says:

Do you have a link to this investigation? Sounds important.

• Sachin Pail says:

I dont get your point ……. Which investigation

• David Wojick says:

I am referring to the UGC blacklist that you predict. I assume they are investigating before blacklisting. Is that incorrect? I am not familiar with how the Indian Government does things. Do you think they will simply adopt Beall’s list with no further investigation?

In any case I went to the UGC website and could not find anything about this blacklist project. Hence my question.

18. Sito says:

Dear Jeff,

Do you maintain a list of predatory conference organizers? besides that of predatory publishers.

It would be useful for creating spam filters, etc. The issue of predatory conferences comes from time to time scientific media:

Best,