Watching a game developer create an interactive experience is like witnessing magic. It’s a hyper-focused process, but there are many different jobs that you can do as a game developer.
From corporate strategy to programming and design, the games industry offers plenty of opportunities for ambitious people looking to make their mark on the world.
What Is AAA?
For our purposes, “AAA” is a term used to describe video games that are of the highest quality. They’re often developed by large teams and cost millions of dollars to produce. A good example of an AAA game would be Grand Theft Auto V; it took over 100 million dollars in production costs alone!
It’s also important to note that there are different types of AAA titles: action adventure games like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite; sports titles like FIFA 16; role-playing games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt…the list goes on!
What Does “AAA” Mean?
AAA game developers are the best in their field. They’re the top of their class, the cream of the crop and most talented at what they do.
These individuals are often best-paid by far and most sought after by companies looking for experienced professionals who can help create some of tomorrow’s interactive entertainment titles.
Where Do AAA Game Developers Come From?
There are a lot of paths that lead to AAA game development, and they’re all valid. Here are some examples:
- You can go to college and study computer science or game design.
- You can learn programming on your own, then start making games on your own time with friends or family members who also have an interest in gaming.
- You can join one of the many independent studios that exist today (like us!), where you’ll work with people who share similar interests and skill sets as yourself while creating something new together!
How Long Does It Take to Become an AAA Game Developer?
The amount of time it takes to become an AAA game developer depends on how much you want to learn and how much time you’re willing to spend practicing. It’s possible to learn the basics in a few months, but it will take years of practice before you’re ready for your first job interview.
The best way to master any skill is by doing it over and over again until it becomes second nature and this is especially true when it comes to video games! The best AAA game developers have spent years honing their skills through hands-on experience, which means there’s no shortcut or trick that can help you skip over this process entirely (sorry).
What Are the Most Important Skills for a AAA Game Developer to Have?
The most important skills for a AAA game developer to have are:
- Communication skills (teamwork and leadership)
- Adaptability (technical skills as well as business)
- Technical skills(as game ux design)
Challenges Faced by AAA Game Developers
While the allure of creating blockbuster games is undeniable, the path is riddled with challenges. One of the most talked-about issues is the ‘crunch time’ – the period leading up to a game’s release where developers work long hours to meet deadlines.
Additionally, with high budgets come high expectations. Developers are under constant pressure to deliver hits, with any misstep potentially leading to significant financial losses. The need to stay ahead of the curve and continuously innovate also means that developers must be lifelong learners, always adapting to the ever-evolving technological landscape.
What Kind of Career Opportunities Does Being an AAA Game Developer Provide?
As an AAA game developer, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects. You can work on console games, mobile games or even virtual reality (VR) projects. If you’re interested in working on VR, then it’s important to know that there are several different types of VR experiences:
- Mobile VR – This refers to devices such as Samsung Gear VR and Google Daydream View which allow users to access content while they’re out and about (e.g., traveling). These devices typically use a smartphone as their display and processor so they’re fairly inexpensive but still offer high-quality graphics due to their powerful processors and graphics cards housed within smartphones themselves. The downside is that these headsets aren’t wireless like tethered headsets such as Oculus Rift or HTC Vive; therefore users must be tethered by cables connected directly into their computers instead!
- Tethered Headsets – As mentioned above these types require either PC’s built specifically for gaming purposes or consoles like PlayStation 4 Pro + PSVR Bundle . Both systems come bundled together already pre-configured so there’s no need spend extra money upgrading hardware beyond what comes standard with each package deal itself!
For example: You could choose between two different kinds of engines when creating an object within Unreal Engine 4 (UE4): Blueprint nodes vs C++ scripts?
There Are Many Exciting Jobs Available in The Gaming Industry
There are many exciting jobs available in the gaming industry. The gaming industry is growing, and with it comes new career opportunities for people who have a passion for games. You can find jobs in game development, game design and testing, marketing sales and business development.
There are also many opportunities for those who want to work remotely from home as well as onsite positions at AAA studios throughout North America (and beyond!)
With the growing demand for AAA game developers and the increasing number of opportunities in the gaming industry, it’s clear that there are many exciting jobs available.
If you are interested in becoming part of this exciting field, we encourage you to explore our website and apply for one of our programs today!