Are you a true crime fanatic looking for your next binge-watch obsession? Look no further than “Cleveland Abduction.”
This gripping film tells the story of the three young women who were held captive in Ariel Castro’s Cleveland home for over a decade. But is it available to stream on Netflix? Keep reading to find out!
The story of ‘Cleveland Abduction’
The Cleveland Abduction is a 2015 made-for-television movie based on the real-life events that took place in Cleveland, Ohio, from 2002 to 2013. The movie depicts the abduction and captivity of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight, who were held captive for over a decade by Ariel Castro.
The movie was directed by Alex Kalymnios and written by Stephen Tolkin, and features an ensemble cast that includes Taryn Manning as Michelle Knight, Raymond Cruz as Ariel Castro, and Samantha Droke as Gina DeJesus. The film premiered on Lifetime on May 2, 2015, and received positive reviews from both critics and audiences alike.
It begins by introducing viewers to the three young women: Amanda Berry (played by Katie Sarife), Gina DeJesus (Samantha Droke), and Michelle Knight (Taryn Manning). The film quickly establishes their personalities and their relationships with their families, making it clear that they are all loved and valued members of their community.
The story then shifts to the day of Berry’s abduction. The movie depicts how Castro (Raymond Cruz) lured Berry into his car with the promise of a ride home from her job at a local Burger King. The film portrays the fear and confusion that she experiences as she realizes that something is terribly wrong and she is being kidnapped.
The movie then shows how Castro abducted Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight in similar ways over the following two years, with both girls being promised a ride home from school before being taken to his house.
The bulk of the movie takes place in Castro’s house, where the three women are held captive for over a decade. The film portrays the physical and emotional abuse that they endure at the hands of their captor, as well as the way in which they support and protect each other during their captivity.
We can also see the efforts of Amanda’s mother, Louwana Miller (played by Pam Grier), to find her daughter. She is convinced that Amanda is still alive and actively seeks out leads and information on her daughter’s whereabouts.
The movie culminates in the escape of Amanda Berry, who manages to break free from the house and call 911 for help. After that we can see how Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight are also rescued, and the emotional reunion between the women and their families.
Overall, The Cleveland Abduction is a powerful and emotional portrayal of a horrific crime that shocked the world. The film does an excellent job of depicting the complex relationships between the three women and their abductor, as well as the toll that their captivity takes on them both physically and emotionally.
The performances of the cast are particularly strong, with Taryn Manning delivering a powerful and nuanced portrayal of Michelle Knight, and Raymond Cruz effectively conveying the sinister and manipulative nature of Ariel Castro.
One of the most powerful aspects is the way in which the movie highlights the strength and resilience of the three women. Despite being subjected to unimaginable horrors, they are able to support and protect each other, and ultimately survive their captivity.
The Cleveland Abduction is a well-made and emotionally powerful movie that provides a sensitive and nuanced portrayal of a horrific crime. It does an excellent job of honoring the bravery and resilience of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight, and reminding us of the importance of compassion and empathy in the face of tragedy. If you are a fan of true crime horror films, be sure to also check out 7 Interesting Crime Documentaries to Satisfy your Morbid Curiosity!
The cast of ‘Cleveland Abduction’
The movie featured an ensemble cast, including:
- Taryn Manning as Michelle Knight – Manning played the role of Michelle Knight, one of the three women who were abducted by Ariel Castro and held captive for over a decade. Manning’s portrayal of Knight received critical acclaim for its emotional depth and complexity.
- Raymond Cruz as Ariel Castro – He played the role of Ariel Castro, the man who abducted and held the three women captive in his home for over a decade. Cruz’s portrayal of Castro was chilling and menacing, capturing the manipulative and abusive nature of the real-life abductor.
- Katie Sarife as Amanda Berry – Sarife played the role of Amanda Berry, the first of the three women to be abducted by Castro. Sarife’s performance captured the fear and confusion that Berry must have felt during her abduction and captivity.
- Samantha Droke as Gina DeJesus – She played the role of Gina DeJesus, the second of the three women to be abducted by Castro. Droke’s portrayal of DeJesus was heartfelt and emotional, capturing the bond that the three women formed during their captivity.
- Pam Grier as Louwana Miller – Grier played the role of Louwana Miller, Amanda Berry’s mother. Miller was a vocal advocate for her daughter’s return and played a key role in the investigation into the abduction. Grier’s performance as Miller was sensitive and nuanced, conveying the pain and anguish that a parent would feel in such a situation.
- Joe Morton as Agent Solano – Joe played the role of Agent Solano, an FBI agent who is involved in the investigation into the abductions. Morton’s portrayal of Solano was professional and focused, capturing the intensity and urgency of the investigation.
- Grace Van Dien as Young Michelle Knight – Van Dien played the role of a young Michelle Knight in flashbacks. Her portrayal captured the innocence and vulnerability of a young girl, highlighting the tragic nature of Knight’s abduction and captivity.
Where to watch ‘Cleveland Abduction’
If you’re looking to watch the Lifetime movie “Cleveland Abduction,” you have a few options.
The film is available to stream on Lifetime’s website, as well as on Hulu and Amazon Prime Video. You can also purchase the movie on digital platforms such as iTunes, Google Play, and Vudu.
“Cleveland Abduction” is not currently available to stream on Netflix. However, if you’d like to watch this powerful drama about a woman who was kidnapped and held captive for more than a decade, there are other ways to do it.
You can rent or purchase the movie from Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies & TV, Microsoft Store, FandangoNOW, YouTube and Vudu.
So don’t despair if you can’t find it on Netflix: there are still plenty of options to watch the film and learn more about this terrible story of abduction and resilience.