David Publishing Company is among the most annoying scholarly open-access publishers. It incessantly spams pretty much everyone in higher education, medicine, and research.
It specializes in spamming people making presentations at conferences, timing the spam to arrive right after the presentation is completed and inviting the victim of the spam email to convert the presentation into a scholarly article for one of its many journals.
The publisher has been on my list for years. It publishes 50 journals (see list below). It used to give this New York City apartment building as its headquarters address:
240 Nagle Avenue # 15C
New York, NY 10034
Now, the website puts the headquarters here:
1840 Industrial Drive, Suite 160
Libertyville, IL 60048
They’ve also used a City of Industry, California address in the past. David Publishing Company is really based in Jianghan District, Wuhan, Hubei, China.
Their spam emails (example here) typically promise a 2-3 week peer review. The publisher requires that authors both pay an author fee and transfer their copyright to David Publishing Company. It’s an open-access publisher, but for a time in 2012 it flipped its model to the subscription model. Also in 2012 they claimed they were based in El Monte, California.
In the past, I received correspondence from a representative of David Publishing named Kunderi Mahaboob. Now it comes from Shelly Shen.
In fact, they recently sent me this package of print journals. The package was shipped from Wuhan, and it included this cover letter promising a gift of Chinese tea.
Most of David Publishing Company’s journals cover fields of study already saturated with subscription and open-access journals, including, for example, Economics World.
Scholarly publishers need people with expertise in the industry to succeed. Merely wanting to earn money as a scholarly publisher and going through the motions won’t work. David Publishing Company is a bottom-tier publisher, a massive spammer, and a publisher that all researchers should avoid.
List of David Publishing journals as of 2015-10-03
- China-USA Business Review
- Chinese Business Review
- Computer Technology and Application
- Economics World
- History Research
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- Journal of Aerospace Science and Technology
- Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology A
- Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology B
- Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture
- Journal of Communication and Computer [sic]
- Journal of Control Science and Engineering
- Journal of Cultural and Religious Studies
- Journal of Earth Science and Engineering
- Journal of Electrical Engineering
- Journal of Energy and Power Engineering
- Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering A
- Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering B
- Journal of Food Science and Engineering
- Journal of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering
- Journal of Geological Resource and Engineering
- Journal of Health Science
- Journal of Hydraulic Engineering
- Journal of Life Sciences
- Journal of Literature and Art Studies
- Journal of Materials Science and Engineering A
- Journal of Materials Science and Engineering B
- Journal of Mathematics and System Science
- Journal of Mechanics Engineering and Automation
- Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing
- Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Journal of Physical Science and Application
- Journal of Shipping and Ocean Engineering
- Journal of Sports Science
- Journal of Statistical Science and Application
- Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering
- Journal of US-China Medical Science
- Journal of US-China Public Administration
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Management Studies
- Philosophy Study
- Psychology Research
- Sino-US English Teaching
- Sociology Study
- US-China Education Review A
- US-China Education Review B
- US-China Foreign Language
- US-China Law Review