If you’ve been planning to remodel your cooking space and give it a contemporary aspect, look no further than handleless kitchens. They offer unparalleled benefits, including an elegant aesthetic and increased safety.
Though they may not be suitable for everyone due to practicality, handleless kitchens stand out from other designs, making your kitchen look stunning! Stick with us if you want to learn more about this style!
Why Are Handleless Kitchens Gaining so Much Attention?
Handleless kitchens (or streamlined kitchens) have first become stylish in the 60s-70s, and they are now catching everyone’s interest due to the minimalistic aspect they create. If you seek to minimize clutter in your home, handleless kitchen doors are your go-to, as they provide a modern and simple alternative to drawer pulls, door handles, and knobs.
This design is available in many finishes, including matt, gloss, or wood in different shades, which means it can accommodate every homeowner’s taste. Handleless kitchens are perfect for open living spaces, providing a smooth transition between the cooking area and the other rooms. Unlike other designs, handleless kitchens are much more hygienic because there aren’t many places where dirt and grime can hide.
What Are Handleless Kitchens?
Put simply, handleless kitchen doors don’t have any knobs or handles. Instead, they rely on different mechanisms to allow cabinet doors to be opened:
- J-pull kitchen doors are designed to have a sleek and minimalist look by hiding the handle within the door’s edge. The handle cut-out is shaped like a J, allowing you to open the door with your fingers without needing a visible handle. The position of the handle-cut varies depending on the type of unit. For drawer units and integrated dishwashers, the handle is usually cut into the top or bottom edge of the door. For washing machines, integrated fridges, and cupboards, the handle is typically cut into the side edge of the door.
- Handleless kitchen doors that have a rail system enable you to open the door by putting your hand behind it. The rail system is typically installed on the top or bottom of the cabinet door, and the recessed space between the drawers and doors is created by overlapping the rail on the adjacent door or drawer. This system is also known as a true handleless system and is a popular choice for modern kitchens, as it creates a seamless and clean look while also ensuring easy access to drawers and cabinets.
- Push-open mechanisms are a type of hardware used in kitchen cabinets that allow you to open the doors without a knob or a handle. The mechanism is typically installed inside the cabinet door and isn’t visible from the outside. To open this type of cabinet, you have to push on the door, and the mechanism will allow the door to be opened. P
What Are the Pros of Handleless Kitchens?
If you’re not yet convinced that handleless kitchens are a great choice, take a look at the following advantages.
A handleless kitchen is functional and simple while also providing a minimalist style. Since it has no unnecessary ornamentation, the design is elegant and timeless, unlike in a traditional kitchen, where the handles make the space look outdated.
More Suitable for Integrated Appliances
No handles or knobs means there is no accumulated grime and dust you must get rid of. Handles can have elaborate designs, making them hard to clean, but this inconvenience no longer exists if you opt for handleless cabinets.
No one likes it when their sleeve catches on knobs or their clothes rip on handles. Not to mention that sometimes, you can even bash your head on the drawer handles or the cabinet knobs! Luckily, handleless kitchen cabinets can help prevent this hazard.
In a small kitchen, cabinets with big handles and knobs aren’t pleasing to the eye. But a handleless kitchen enables a seamless transition from one room to another, making the movement as fluid as possible.
Some Considerations for Integrating Appliances in A Handleless Kitchen
The purpose of handleless kitchens is to create clean lines, so you want to avoid freestanding appliances, as they can spoil the look. Instead, it is best to choose integrated appliances because they can be hidden from view.
If you end up picking the wrong appliances, be it in terms of size or type, you won’t be able to achieve the kind of design you’re seeking, so make sure to pay significant attention to this aspect. Don’t hesitate to ask for professional help if necessary; this can help avoid future problems.
Hiring someone specializing in kitchen design can give you helpful advice on what you should and shouldn’t do when remodeling your cooking space. Moreover, an expert can also provide information on different design options you may not even know.
But if you want to work alone on the kitchen design, consider the following aspects:
- Figure out how minimalist you want your kitchen to be. If you’re looking for an ultra-minimalist style, choose basic colors and patterns. On the other hand, if you want to add a bit of character, it’s much better to pick patterned doors and colorful units.
- Decide where you want to put your appliances and whether you prefer cupboards or drawers.
- Think of ways to contrast colors and textures; for example, you can contrast the walls and units or the wall units and the floor. There are endless options, so get creative!
How Costly Are Handleless Kitchens?
The cost of a handleless kitchen depends on how large your space is, as well as the kind of storage units you choose. Handleless kitchen cabinets are usually pricier than their handled counterparts.
But the good news is that there are cheaper options, so you don’t need to break the bank on your next remodeling project! This means you can still enjoy the benefits of a handleless kitchen by spending less money.
Are you considering buying fully assembled kitchen cabinets? Check out our latest blog post to learn about the 5 important things you should consider before making your purchase.
Handleless kitchens aren’t going anywhere – in fact, the trend is only growing among homeowners seeking a clutter-free design. Since they provide many benefits, handleless kitchens are a great choice if you’re looking to modernize your cooking space.