If you determine that keeping a firearm in your home is crucial for protecting your family if needed, one of the things you must do is to ensure that your store and secure it properly – which is quite important if you have small kids and teenagers at home. However, you now might be wondering – how can I store my firearms carefully, yet still easily access it if needed?
Fortunately for all individuals looking for an answer to this question, this article might be able to help you. The text below will feature a list of the top 4 safety measures for properly storing your firearm or firearms in your house. Let’s take a closer look at the list:
1. First Things First – Ensure That You Place A Trigger Lock
One of the first things that you should do in order to properly store your weapon is to install a trigger lock. What is that? Well, as the name already suggests, it is basically a mechanism that you put on the trigger, which will then prevent anyone from firing it. It functions by obstructing the trigger and/or barrel, hence, no one will be able to load any ammo.
From all the other options on this list, getting such an add-on is the most affordable options, however, you’ll still need to ensure that you place it somewhere hidden, mostly because such a device can be unlocked by a screwdriver or other items, hence, besides placing it, you should also store it somewhere.
2. A Firearm Case
You could also opt for a firearm case that is designed for protecting your weapon from damage, it secures it inside, and you’ll be able to easily transport it from one location to the next. They are quite affordable and when you start looking for your options, you’ll see that you can opt for two types – hard and soft cases.
Now, you can opt for both of the options, but keep in mind that choose the hard cases means that you’ll get something heavier, larger, and more pricey. Hence, if you are looking for heavy-duty security, you should choose the hard option, but if you, for example, want to go hunting, then you might want to choose the lighter option since it will be easier to carry.
3. A Safe Designed For Weapons
If you are looking for the most secure option, you can always opt for a gun safe such as the ones featured on Itishooting. They won’t only allow you to properly store your weapon, but, it will also be theft-proof, especially since they have daunting and complex locking mechanics.
Getting it is a bit of an investment – since they cost from 300 to 4.000 dollars, however, it will surely pay off in the long-term, especially since they are durable and basically unlockable. When looking at your options, ensure that you consider the mechanics, the fire rating, as well as the thickness of the steel.
4. Steel, Lockable Cabinets
You might have several weapons that you need to store, and if so, you can always opt for purchasing a steel, lockable, weapon cabinet. With it, you’ll gain more storage capacity, however, they are a bit different when compared to gun containers or cases. The steel is often thinner, the mechanism is usually less complex, and it is not fire-proof.
Since they are light, you’ll be able to easily take it wherever you want, and they also come in a wide range of sizes, which means that you can opt for something that will suit your needs. Additionally, they’ll have a lot of space, which means that you can also store your ammo and other components in the cabinets.
Are There Some Tips I Should Keep in Mind?
Whatever storing option you opt for, there are some things that you’ll certainly want to keep in mind, especially since it will make everything and everyone more protected – which is especially true if you have small children living with you. The tips you should keep in mind include:
- Choose The Location Wisely – one of the first tips is to carefully think about where you’ll place the case, cabinets, or safe. You should put it somewhere that is not as accessible as other areas in your house, or in a location that can be accessed by you or some of the members of your family.
- Out of Reach – Keeping Children Protected – when kids cannot reach something, they often lose interest in it. Hence, you should place it somewhere where your kids cannot reach it. Now, you can completely conceal it or you can just place it high enough that they cannot reach it.
- Always Keep The Weapons Unloaded – when you store your weapon or weapons, it is extremely important that you leave them completely unloaded. Hence, even if someone does find your firearms, they won’t be able to use it, especially since it will be empty and there will be a trigger lock that they won’t know how to take off.
- If Uncertain, Store The Ammo Separately – if you are not certain that the aforementioned tip will work, you can always opt for storing your ammo somewhere else. Additionally, if you opt for this, ensure that you also keep the ammo locked, as well as out of reach for kids.
- Keep The Combinations And Keys Safe – your keys should always be in one place, easily accessible for you, but completely inaccessible to your kids. Also, ensure that your combinations are safely written somewhere or you could simply remember them in order to prevent anyone from learning them.
As you were able to read and learn, there is a wide range of methods for storing your firearm properly. And, by following some of the tips mentioned above, you’ll be able to prevent anyone from finding and using your weapon, and you’ll also secure it from being stolen – which is something that happens quite a lot, even though people do not think that is the case.
So, now that you are aware of all the ways that you can properly and safely store your weapon, you should not lose any more time. Instead, you should return to the beginning of this article, go through it once again, and then determine which of the options is most suitable for your requirements, budget, and needs.