Canterbury offers a wealth of historic and cultural attractions for visitors to explore. Canterbury Cathedral, founded in the 6th century, is one of England’s most iconic sites and features stunning architecture and beautiful stained glass windows.
Within the grounds of the cathedral lies St Augustine’s Abbey which dates back to AD 598. It was once an important center of learning and pilgrimage, as well as a key destination on the ancient pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela.
The Canterbury Tales are an important part of the city’s history and can be explored at the Canterbury Tales Visitor Centre. The interactive exhibits bring alive Geoffrey Chaucer’s famous stories for all ages. The Canterbury Roman Museum is another must-see attraction, where visitors can step back in time and explore the remains of a Roman house.
For those looking to enjoy some of the city’s natural beauty, Westgate Gardens offers plenty of open green space and picturesque river walks. It also contains an interesting collection of flora and fauna. St Dunstan’s is another area of natural beauty, with its majestic 18th-century church and beautiful gardens.
Canterbury also boasts a vibrant food scene, with many restaurants and pubs serving traditional English fare as well as dishes from around the world. Visitors can also shop till they drop at one of Canterbury’s bustling shopping areas, such as Whitefriars or Rose Lane, which offer a variety of high street and boutique shops.
The city also plays host to many festivals throughout the year from its world-famous Canterbury Festival in October/November to smaller events like the annual Mardi Gras parade in May. There’s something for everyone in Canterbury!
The city can also be easily explored by bike, with cycle routes and trails throughout the town. Visitors can rent a bike from one of many rental outlets located throughout Canterbury for an easy, eco-friendly way to explore the city. With so much to see and do in this historic city, it’s no wonder that Canterbury is one of England’s most popular tourist destinations.
5 Best Afternoon Tea Places in Canterbury
Visiting Canterbury? Then you have to enjoy some of the city’s legendary afternoon tea spots. Whether you’re enjoying a lavish treat or simply catching up with friends, these places make for the perfect setting. Here are our top 5 picks for afternoon tea in Canterbury:
- The Chaucer Tea Room – For a truly traditional afternoon tea experience, try the Chaucer Tea Room. Located within The Canterbury Tales Visitor Attraction on St Margaret’s Street, this elegant spot has been serving up delectable treats since 1967. With cakes, scones, and sandwiches all freshly made in their kitchen, it’s a great choice for those wanting to enjoy a classic afternoon tea.
- The Goods Shed – If you’re after something a bit more unique, head to The Goods Shed on Station Road West. This award-winning market and cafe offers a stunning selection of cakes and sandwiches, washed down with freshly brewed tea or coffee. You can even enjoy an additional glass of champagne for a truly decadent experience.
- The Bakehouse Cafe – For something a bit more casual, check out The Bakehouse Cafe in the center of town. This cozy little spot serves up freshly prepared treats throughout the day, using locally sourced ingredients wherever possible. Not to mention an extensive selection of tea and coffee beverages too!
- The Cheeseman’s Tea Room – If you’re in the mood for something different, try The Cheeseman’s tea room on Orange Street. Not only do they serve up a delicious selection of freshly-baked cakes and pastries, but the atmosphere is also one of the best in Canterbury. Perfect for an afternoon of conversation and relaxation.
- Casa Fina – Last but not least, if you’re looking for a truly special afternoon tea experience, try out the luxurious Casa Fina on Burgate Street. With its chic decor and a sumptuous selection of sandwiches and desserts, they have everything you need to make your afternoon tea an event to remember. Don’t forget to try one of their signature cocktails too!
No matter where you choose, these places make for the perfect setting to enjoy afternoon tea in Canterbury.
5 Best Accommodations in Canterbury
Canterbury is a great destination for tourists who are looking for a unique experience in the UK. Many different types of accommodation are available, ranging from luxury to budget options. Here are some of the best places you can choose to stay during your trip to Canterbury:
- The Marlowe Hotel – This 4-star hotel is conveniently situated in the center of Canterbury and it offers a range of contemporary rooms with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and tea/coffee-making facilities. Guests can enjoy easy access to many attractions, including the Cathedral, theatre, and St Augustine’s Abbey.
- The Abbots Barton Hotel – This 4-star hotel offers stylish accommodation with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and tea/coffee-making facilities. It is located in peaceful surroundings close to the River Stour and a short walk from Canterbury Cathedral. Guests can relax in the bar area or enjoy a meal at the onsite restaurant.
- The Old Brewery – This modern hostel is located in a 17th-century building in the heart of Canterbury and it offers basic accommodation with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and tea/coffee-making facilities. Guests can enjoy easy access to many attractions, including St Augustine’s Abbey and the Westgate Gardens.
- The Cathedral Gate Hotel – This 4-star hotel offers luxurious accommodation with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and tea/coffee-making facilities. It is located in a historic building close to Canterbury Cathedral and many other attractions. Guests can enjoy the onsite restaurant and bar area.
- The Three Horseshoes Inn – This traditional inn is located in the picturesque countryside close to Canterbury and it offers basic accommodation with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and tea/coffee-making facilities. Guests can enjoy easy access to many attractions, including the Westgate Gardens and St Augustine’s Abbey.
No matter what kind of accommodation you’re looking for, you’ll be sure to find something perfect for your stay in Canterbury. So, book your accommodation today and start planning your trip!