The IT global world is constantly evolving. Thus, data center obsolescence is a common case in the IT sphere. Data centers must be modernized to meet the modern requirements of network systems. If data center performance is not improved, such facilities will quickly go outdated and won’t be able to process modern tasks and information.
Server room updates will result in enhanced cooling and power efficiency, improved equipping to minimize downtime, lowered costs on running and maintenance, being more favorable to modern innovations and recent technologies, and many other advantages.
Possible Ways to Upgrade a Server Room
If your data center needs updates or can’t perform modern tasks, there are the following possible way-outs to improve system efficiency:
- build a new data center;
- modernize an existing facility;
- put applications in the public cloud to free up space;
- leave space off-side in a colocation facility.
System administrators should choose the most preferable way for a server room upgrade, depending on the level of system obsolescence. Taking into account equipment deterioration and the scope of work, suitable tactics are chosen.
Tips to Modernize Server Rooms
Data center modernization is a complicated and long process that requires going through the following steps.
Assemble a project team
Before you get down to physical work, you need to create an expert group of relevant stakeholders who will guide the process and develop fruitful solutions. These include partners, employees, and vendors, who have relevant interoperability, knowledge, and expertise.
The team will act as a single unit to develop highly effective solutions for cost reduction, power and capacity improvement, risk minimization, and providing a securer environment for IT hardware operation.
Make sure that your team has the following experts:
- service employee will advise on the most effective methods to minimize expenses and increase performance by integrating modern technologies;
- experienced vendors who help partners determine applicable financial incentives.
It is better to cooperate with partners who have a successful experience in server room modernization.
Upgrade servers and systems
A server update is a vital factor for data center modernization since more powerful and capacious models are developed annually. Thus, if your servers have been in performance for several years, it is most likely that improved models have been released on the market over this time. Newer server models have the following positive effects on network systems:
- the amount of memory is higher, which means that fewer servers are required to perform the same tasks;
- enhanced cooling components provide better protection from overheating;
- superior power-saving modes allow consuming less energy, reducing costs, and becoming more environmentally friendly.
Blade server models and virtualization provide more opportunities for scalability and improved room ergonomics.
Upgrade racks and cabinets
Manufacturers design server furniture pieces of any size, need, and body type. If you plan to expand the system, you’ll need a more spacious cabinet. Treat critical features of each model to choose an appropriate model.
Open-frame racks are superior in terms of cooling and natural air circulation. Doors or walls do not hinder the airflow. This feature also simplifies access to hardware and its maintenance.
Enclosed cabinets provide better protection from outside impacts such as dust settlement, unauthorized access, and environmental factors.
Note that a rolling server cabinet will increase movability and simplify relocation.
Replace cooling systems
The modern market offers a great variety of alternative solutions for cooling strategies. Nowadays, system administrators replace traditional HVAC systems with cost-effective and high-performance chillers. The following alternative cooling devices are widely used:
- water economizers that use chilled water to exchange heat and provide uninterruptible liquid circulation and system cooling;
- air economizers;
- evaporating cooling.
These methods can be combined with fans and HVAC systems, reducing the time of their performance, which will allow for reducing expenses on electricity.
Alternative methods allow monitoring and maintaining an optimal temperature of network equipment and prevent overheating.
When redesigning your data center, more and more system administrators stick to using ready-made all-in-one solutions. Preconfigured solutions comprise the following modules:
- security components;
- rack frames;
- management tools;
- cooling devices;
- power units.
Such options allow saving time for system assembly, setting up, and securing. Ready-made modules are assembled on-site; they are customizable and flexible. When installing such solutions, all the critical issues are taken into account. Thus, users enjoy easy and quick maintenance, planning, design, and communication.
Upgrade UPS (uninterruptible power supply)
This unit is vital for any network system and all the datum stored in its memory. UPSs allow reducing downtime and prevent systems from power surges and sudden outages. The unit is used to guarantee the electrical safety of computing equipment and power all components in the case of an emergency.
Implement DCIM (Data Centre Infrastructure Management) solutions
This is an innovative approach to monitoring the functioning of all infrastructure components remotely. Due to the implementation of DCIM solutions, system administrators can control systems and units, and get reports about their performance without visiting the facility.
A cloud-based management approach will allow getting access to critical datum from anywhere and anytime. The staff will be able to monitor physical hardware and adjust settings remotely.
Outcomes of Upgrading Server Rooms
As a result of server room modernization, employees will enjoy the following benefits:
- cooling strategy efficiency will improve;
- power supply and allocation will enhance;
- expenses on running and carbon will reduce;
- facility security and lifetime will extend;
- more ergonomic space allocation and enhances aesthetics due to managed hosting and colocation;
- systems are more friendly to the implementation of cloud computing technologies and future innovations;
- infrastructures are better positioned to support evolving business objectives;
- more chances to meet governmental norms and regulations toward DC building, pass tests, and gain certificates of compliance;
- friendliness to planning future costs.
Here’s what server room needs in order to perform for many years and meet modern demands. However, if your DC is older than 7-10 years, it required renovation. Even if it functions steadily and smoothly, the modern world is evolving so quickly that more advanced technologies can increase performance and reduce consumption. Thus, keep track of modern trends and optimize the work of your systems timely.