Another pay-to-publish, open-access publisher has appeared: Lawarence Press. Based in Delhi, India, the press is named after the street its headquarters is located on, a rare, variant spelling of the name Lawrence. It appears the owners are web developers with little or no knowledge of scholarship, research, or scholarly publishing, but they are rushing in any way.
Only one of the firm’s 61 journals has really launched, and it is called Journal of Nursing. The journal’s editor-in-chief is Dr. Travis K. Svensson, a smiley psychiatrist who claims an affiliation with the University of San Francisco.
The journal has only published one issue so far (Volume 1, issue 1), and lo and behold, the editor, Travis K. Svensson, is a co-author on all five of the articles in the issue. No wonder he’s excited to be the editor — he finally found a journal that would accept and publish his work.
The journals don’t have separate editorial boards. Instead, there is a page that lists and illustrates with photos all the editors-in-chief for all the firm’s journals, along with a bunch of “assistant editors,” who function as collective editorial board members for all 61 journals.
The picture of the EiC of the publisher’s Journal of Heart Care is my favorite:
This is Dr. Sandeep Kumar Kar. As you can see, the publisher is challenged by punctuation.
Some of the pictures appear to have problems with aspect ratio, a common problem with predatory editorial boards:
I am surprised that this amateurish and unprofessional publisher has managed to attract editorial board members and editors-in-chief.
Regarding author fees, the spam email says,
Journal of nursing(J Nurs) charges on-line maintenance and processing fee. A processing charge will vary from case to case and subject to an editorial decision.
In other words, you will have to haggle over the fee as if you were buying vegetables in an open-air market.
I hope you never pay a fee to this publisher. I recommend avoiding it and ignoring the spam you are certain to receive from Lawarence Press.
Hat tip: Dr. Barbara Martin
Journals published by Lawarence Press as of 2016-01-18
- Acta Ingeniería Civil
- Advances in Mechanical Engineering and Interactive design
- Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Clinical Biochemistry Insights
- Dermatologia Insight
- Diabetes Therapeutics
- Drug and Healthcare
- European Journal of Economic and Business
- Extreme Electric Power Letters
- Frontiers of Accounting and Finance
- Frontiers of Ecological Engineering and Enviromental [sic] Science
- Frontiers of Marketing Research
- Frontiers of Polymer Science and Research
- Frontiers of Thermal and Fluid Science
- Gastroenterology Research and Reviews
- Gynecologic and Obstetric Insights
- Insight Minerals Engineering
- International Journal of Hydrodynamics
- Journal of Advancements in Plasticity Engineering
- Journal of Advances in Cardiology Research
- Journal of Angle Othodontotist [sic]
- Journal of Art and Social Sciences
- Journal of Behavioral and Brain Science
- Journal of Carniofacial [sic] Research
- Journal of Clinical Oral Investigation
- Journal of Clinical Otorhinolaryngology
- Journal of Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry
- Journal of Construction and Building Materials
- Journal of Heart Care
- Journal of Hospitality Management
- Journal of Investigational Dentistry
- Journal of Nursing
- Journal of Oral Diseases and Medicine
- Journal of Paediatrics Care
- Journal of Research in Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
- Medicine Insight
- Microbiology Insights
- Ophthalmology Insights
- Pathology Insights
- Insight Microelectronics
- Journal of Computers & Chemical Engineering
- Acta Mechanica
- Bioengineering and Biosciences
- Insight Mechanical Engineering
- Journal of Periodontal Practice
- Journal of Oral Health and Hygiene
- Research and Review in Prosthorestorative Dentistry
- Orthopedic Research and Reviews
- Pharmacology Insights
- Surgery Insights
- Frontiers of Design Research
- Frontiers of Aerosol Science
- Frontiers of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- Journal of Applied Mathematical Modelling and Computing
- Journal of Neural Networks
- Natural Science
- Computational Biology and Chemistry
- Food and Nutrition
- Journal of Agriculture Biotechnology
- Journal of Food Microbiology
- Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Science
This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 26th, 2016 at 9:00 AM and is filed under Scholarly Open-Access Publishers. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.